Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A real brain teaser here.

Please refer to the diagram below and suggest a fuel system that willl not STARVE either motor of fuel. I am thinking of installing anti-siphon valves but there are constraints.

1- The fuel water sep (big spin-on type) is ON the main, under the cowling (115 HP EVINRUDE) so no more in-line fuel water sep.
2-The manual CLEARLY states no antisiphons can go between the tank and the main, restricting fuel.

So how can I be sure that either motor won't suck the others lines?

No prizes given for the answer. Oh- You don't have to tow me.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you have a antisiphon prior to the two fuel lines and there is a problem with the tank then the fuel will siphon from the other motor. Been there done that before with my old boat.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I bought a new Mercury 8hp 4 stroke last spring, brought it home and plumbed it off the other side of my water/fuel seperator. The Mercury didn't have enough suck to pull the fuel through the seperator. I ended up just putting a tee right at the tank so that I could run the line direct to the kicker and have not had any issues with my Yamaha 115 or the Merc 8hp sucking each other dry.

You could install a fuel selector valve at the tank but you would have to remember to switch it to the appropriate motor as needed.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops-

That was another criterion DBA... I can't remember sh*(#, so I was thinking no three way.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've ran my outboard and kicker off the same tank for quite awhile... Running them off the T has worked fine, and just the fact that there is no fuel or air entering the fuel line at the unused motor when the other one is running, keeps the running engine from sucking out of the other pipe. Put bluntly, plug the end of a pipe up and try sucking on the other end... doesn't work! If theres fuel in the lines it will tend to drain, but its not a problem if your fuel line pumps are easily accessible.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
BTW: If you have one of the rubber bulbs on your fuel line you already have a "Check valve". The rubber bulbs require it to work! :) That is why they have an arrow on them.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup the check valves in bulbs work well to pump fule toward your motor, but if you really want the fuel pump on your main vacuuming your kicker when (not IF Linestripper) your tank's foot valve fails, you are risking a disaster, especially if you are running a 2 stroke, where the oil, fuels (and air mix) is concerned. Actually decided to stick with an external tank with an "emergency" connector off the one valve of the TEE, that way when the little tank is empty I can plug into the main temporarily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts