Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it next to impossible to get this site to load anymore. I get half a page and that is it. Bruce please go back to the old server. That said I will not be able to enjoy or be involved. Too bad that, i really do like this site and have supported it in the past.

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
There is no problem with the GF server. The server has not changed in over 4 years. I have done extensive testing and multiple polls asking for input. The end result, there is no problem with the GF server.

As you can see in the link below. The vast majority of members are getting forum load speeds from average to very fast.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1442

If you are experiencing browser speed issues, it is most likely something on your PC, your browser or your network connection.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Hey Doc, is there any input you may have to help us members that it is loading slow for, like what system we should use or what programs will help?, thanks, I keep seeing a "Fatal Error" on the bottom of the forum under the last post, and this is happening today,thanks...Ryan

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Its one of a few things your system is old and or slow and cannot process all of the graphics or you are still on dial up. Or both.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
If the majority of the people are doing fine, then really, there's an issue with your machine. I know it might not sound intuitive, but some things can affect odd things. I would run a virus scanner (Kaspersky or TrendMicro AND Adaware, both free). Sometimes some cookies and stuff affect some websites on your machine. Give it a shot Tup:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
madcapmag said:
If the majority of the people are doing fine, then really, there's an issue with your machine. I know it might not sound intuitive, but some things can affect odd things. I would run a virus scanner (Kaspersky or TrendMicro AND Adaware, both free). Sometimes some cookies and stuff affect some websites on your machine. Give it a shot Tup:
Thanks, I'll try it with my other confuser.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
madcapmag said:
Thanks for some actual advice, it is very much appreciated, as for me I am on a work computer that is brand new and we have 10 people who work in our IT department, and I beleive we run a T1 line or something newer, all other sites I got to are fine, but like you said if the majority is fine it must be my computer, I just don't see how, but I will try those suggestions, thank you madcapmag Tup:

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Guru, I'm no computer expert nor do I try to be one, but everything that I've said, I'm parroting from one of the Comcast guys who came out to our house. Your work comp might be a little different because its running through work servers. My work computers are SLOW for ALL websites, but the wireless for the computers not on the network (Guests, employees) is great. For example, I just can't use google maps on the work computers. When I try to pull up a map on them, usually a couple squares are marked with the red X. Refreshing sometimes makes them appear, but then other squares are red X's!

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I'm having tons of trouble with the new site. I have to be logged on twice as long to get 1/2 the info I used to. I get the "fatal error, exceeded 30 seconds" error all the time, takes forever to load, if I when I reply to a post, it's quicker to close the window and re-log in than to wait for the system to process. I'm just gradually coming here less, and only when I have plenty of time to waste.

I'm not complaining, OK I guess I am complaining, but realize that Bruce is doing all he can to make the site better for the majority of users, unfortunately I guess I'm in the minority. The strange thing is if it was all the fault of my machine, I think I'd be noticing problems with other websites, and I'm not, just Gamefishin'.

I sure sympathize with die hard GFers that are having the same problems as me :cry:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
"Guru, I'm no computer expert nor do I try to be one, but everything that I've said, I'm parroting from one of the Comcast guys who came out to our house. Your work comp might be a little different because its running through work servers. My work computers are SLOW for ALL websites, but the wireless for the computers not on the network (Guests, employees) is great. For example, I just can't use google maps on the work computers. When I try to pull up a map on them, usually a couple squares are marked with the red X. Refreshing sometimes makes them appear, but then other squares are red X's!"

Agreed!! Your issues are within your CPU, network and/or internet service provider. Networks can kill information transfer times. Clutter and virus' on your CPU can as well. And, that little company known as your ISP may be having issues. If you're having issues all the time, then look at cleaning up your CPU (virus', cookies, clutter files, etc). If it's an intermittent issue, more than likely it's your server or ISP. Good luck Tup: .

·
Registered
240 Posts
Guys/Gals, for those of you getting a "Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded" error message you need to capture the message and post it in the forum. That would help Bruce (and others) troubleshoot your issues. Complaining that the "server is slow" and "you're get error messages" isn't really helpful when trying to help you get back up and running.

Useful information:
Screen shots (or error codes if you can't get a screen shot)
Description of problem, as well as describing what you were trying to do (view, post, exit, etc.)

Feel free to send me a Private message if you don't want to post here and I'll do my best to help you out.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I am on an old computer, and on the worlds WORST dial up and its fairly quick for me. My phone line has such a bad hum I'm surprised it works at all....

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
As Dogfish stated, the more info you provide the better your chances of actually getting some help will be.

E.G.

Operating System
Browser and Version
ISP and type
Any error messages
A good description of the problem

As many details as you can provide will help.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hey Doc,

As an early whiner about the new forums access speed I think I may have some answers for the source of the problem.

I just installed FireFox and low and behold, it works like it should, nice and fast.

I was using IE6, but was having some problems with some sites saying I needed a current version of Flash to work on their site, even though I all ready had the most current version of Flash. Also, the Microsoft update website started seeing my machine as a Mac and referred me to another site for Mac updates even though my machine is no Mac at all.

I just started up a new machine with XP Pro and IE7 and it works nice and fast also. It is plugged in to the same router as the machine I am having slow access with so I now know it has nothing to do with my Internet access.

I think what is happening is related to problems that are occurring with IE6 loaded machines, and some of their files getting screwed up by IE7 compatible stuff.

I am going to update my IE6 with IE 7 in the next day or two and will let you know then, but I am pretty sure I am on to something here.

Talk to you soon.

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
WaveDancer said:
Hey Doc,

As an early whiner about the new forums access speed I think I may have some answers for the source of the problem.

I just installed FireFox and low and behold, it works like it should, nice and fast.

I was using IE6, but was having some problems with some sites saying I needed a current version of Flash to work on their site, even though I all ready had the most current version of Flash. Also, the Microsoft update website started seeing my machine as a Mac and referred me to another site for Mac updates even though my machine is no Mac at all.

I just started up a new machine with XP Pro and IE7 and it works nice and fast also. It is plugged in to the same router as the machine I am having slow access with so I now know it has nothing to do with my Internet access.

I think what is happening is related to problems that are occurring with IE6 loaded machines, and some of their files getting screwed up by IE7 compatible stuff.

I am going to update my IE6 with IE 7 in the next day or two and will let you know then, but I am pretty sure I am on to something here.

Talk to you soon.
Great! Thanks for the update. Tup:

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
get a dual core processor and run vista..junk that old sucker..I have no problems

1 - 20 of 37 Posts