Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old man is thinking of coming over there again.

But this time I am heading for Florida at the end of the month for ten days.

Price will be cheap and I am aiming to stay in an hotel and do a spot of fishing.

Only taking this break to give me a change of scenery.

I do not mind if it is lake or sea fishing.

I will welcome any ideas or info.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
How soon, if its within the next month, you are prime smack in the middle of springer season! Sturgeon on the Columbia too possibly....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Where in Florida? If you fly in to Orlando-which is probably the cheapest ticket from your side of the pond, then the Space Coast is a good area for non guided fishing. Lots of wade fishing around Titusville, Mosquito Lagoon, Indian River area and lots of info in guide books to get started. Redfish, specs, jacks, sometimes baby tarpon and alligators ( had one hit a popper but I didn't set the hook). Pompano in the surf on the coast. Near shore in front of Coco Beach- Cape Caniveral big jacks, tarpon, cobia, barracuda. Kayaks and boat rentals available. Not a bad idea to get a guide for a day to get the lay of the land. Lake Okeechobee is a couple -three hours south and the bass guides are the best bargain in FL. Might want to hunt a pig from a swamp buggy when you are there.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's it just Florida, I can go down to Miami or up in Orlando.

Both areas have cheap flight plus hotels with an hire car.

I did think about flying over to Las Vegas but thought it may not have any fishing around there.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could fly into Portland, Oregon as well but it may be too cold for me at this time of year.

Costs $732.60 and then will have to find an hotel for two weeks.

·
Banned
733 Posts
sir john said:
Could fly into Portland, Oregon as well but it may be too cold for me at this time of year.

Costs $732.60 and then will have to find an hotel for two weeks.
Las vegas has plenty of fishing if you know what I mean wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Check out some vacation home rental websites for Florida- Home Away is one. You can get a condo cheaper than a hotel and have a place to cook and more than just a bed and bath.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I just returned from Fla. fishing the gulf side. The Tarpon fishing will be hot n heavy around Ft Meyers , Sanibel Island. You can fish for Reds, Grouper and Sea trout etc just about anywhere. or you could go to Islamorada . Negotiate the rates as business is off according to the local press.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
If you go to Vegas, you'd be within 4 hours driving distance of me, and as everyone knows, there's a zone of awesomeness that stretches a 5 hour radius around me!

I'd love to go to Florida for redfish and bonefish. Just watching the shows on the bonefish gets my ears hurting from all the screaming drags!

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I have seen about bonefish, that is flyfishing and I don't do flyfishing.

I will check out the condos

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
You can also do regular fishing for them. Bonefish are kind of caught up in the unfortunate elitist portion of the fly-fishing lore, but there's no reason you can't catch them on regular gear. Seen it being done on TV, and TV is all true!

·
Registered
608 Posts
So are you staying in the Seattle area or just going straight to FL? If you need a place to stay near Seattle, I have an extra couple of rooms in my house if you are not allergic to dogs.

Isaac

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Issac but I will fly straight to Florida.

FL is warm at this time of year and I just want a break away to warm up these old bones.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I'd wait for the weather to warm up enough to get those Lake Tapps Muskies biting before I headed for this Neck Of The Woods.

(Maybe Dr Hook will leave us one or two to try for.)

"TRAPPER"

·
Registered
15,118 Posts
I'd stay on the Gulf side. Less people, warmer water great for swimming when you're not fishing. Try out Venice Beach. Plenty of beach front condos with weekly and monthly rates and it's the Shark Tooth capital of the world. We easily found 300+ just in a few days of hang'n on the beach last spring... Tdown:

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Think I found a two week holiday in Orlando for $1200 next month.

Fare to Seattle would only be $900 but with no where to stay and the weather will not be above 45, so I will only visit you once this year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts