Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows this for annoying me every day. If you remember back when I posted the photos of the 50 plus roosters in one field. Now they are creeping ever closer. Here is a rooster on my corral fence just taking a look see around the place. And yet another strutting along the same fence pecking up some of the grass seed I sprinkled this week.

How am I suppose to handle this for another year before they are again fair game?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Think your going crazy.
How do you think Bushman feels about you just letting those roosters run amuck and not shooting them for him? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Ya got to be encourage for next year! look close you may see there ears pointing up-- getting time for them start making next years crop. Do you still have your feeder going? Looks like no problem keeping Bushman on birds!

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have three feeders now, two on my place and one on the neighbors. I am also in the process of putting in two ponds, they should be done this month. Then I mow 2- half mile strips 20 yards wide of tall grass and 3-4" tall grass 20 yards wide between those taller strips.

When one of the roosters flew off I waited about 15 minutes, then I walked him over to the fence line and he was just bouncing along in his typical puppy fashion. When we hit the corner of the fence he transformed 100% and put the nose to the ground and froze staring at the short mowed grass stunned that there was no bird there. He could clearly smell that a pheasant was there. He then trailed it up over the ridge until I saw he was far enough and I called him back.

Regarding that Bushman dog. He's going through a bit of teenage rebellion this week. He somehow has the mistaken belief that he is able to do what he wants rather then what I want. When I call him now he looks at me and thinks about what to do rather then run as fast as he can move to get back to me. Same with sit, and "kennel" he looks up at me and contemplates what he should do. Soooo a little electronic behaviour modification was in order. He's a little off balance now not sure what is gonna get him in trouble. Fortunately this Tritronics collar has a "buzz" setting without any shock. He's clever enough that the "buzz" kicks him into perfect behaviour right from the start.

The Breeder told me to expect a tough period before he was a year old. He actually said you will wonder if it's the same dog. Now I know what he was talking about. It's something to do with sexual maturity brewing inside and his not understanding all the changes. I'm just grateful for the magic tritronics wand of behaviour modification!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yes, a common occurence with dogs (and kids). So far, we have trained Zeus completely without the help of a elec. collar. But I may need to borrow my buddies for a couple weeks, to perk Zeus' listening skills (we know that he hears us). Especially with my wife, who has a bit more trouble with him.

·
Registered
832 Posts
At least you get to enjoy seeing them! Some of the rest of us suckers are city locked most of the week... I think i feel like Bushman right now. :lol:
I might have to go to the range this week to calm the twitchy trigger finger i've developed since Stillwater posted those pic's yesterday! clown:

Cool pic's though did you use your telephoto lens or where you just that close?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Those big mossy backs are going to be out in the open showing off for the girls. Its always a treat to see them.

Electricity is a wonderful thing! Be careful when birds are involved........

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used the 70-200 you suggested, I was about 70 yards away I would guess. They were taken from in the house through a very dirty window, I never expected them to come out this good.

See that kit you suggested I buy even makes dirty windows look Okay! Did you see the photo of the coyote in the other thread, Not a great photo, but that thing was a hella long way off and it looks close! I used the 70-200 but added the 1.4TC as well.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I did see the other photo too. Very Cool! A good lens and a good chip goes a long way... literally! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
832 Posts
I just bought a new smoker/BBQ this weekend and you can be sure that there will be a ring neck smoking away on it as soon as I get back from the GF hunting trip! I'll post up in the cooking form when I do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts