Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
my heart bleeds for the gill netters..............the way i see it is an empty net is always better than a full net any day Tup:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I sent the editor my response , It was civil , But too the point , gillnets kill and continue to kill , Idescriminantly

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Its just the beginning of the end for the Columbia gillnetters. Its about time.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Why are they being so harsh on the sporties. Id rather 1 sportie catch 1 fish a day(or less, if lucky), then 1 gillnetter get 250 a day..... I dont get why they are makin the gillnetters look so good, they are the cause of the problems.... among many others

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
It is the begining of the end, but I think it is going to be a long and ugly battle. How do you all feel that you are now starving people and forcing them into food banks? What is the saying, burn the house down to save the village.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
srchn4salmon said:
It is the begining of the end, but I think it is going to be a long and ugly battle. How do you all feel that you are now starving people and forcing them into food banks? What is the saying, burn the house down to save the village.
I know a person working 30 hours a week who still has to go to a food bank to make ends meet and they have nothing to do with commercial fishing. It is a sign of the times.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I submitted the following comment to the editor:

Referring to all sports fishers as "urban elitists" and casting this as an urban-rural battle is clever political rhetoric but this article misses the point on many levels.
1) Recreational fishers have ALSO been making use of the same resource for years. These recreational fisherman come from all over the state including the local area.
2) The value of a fish caught recreationally to the LOCAL economy is MUCH higher than one caught commercially.
3) Gill netting has a much high impact on wild fish which are endangered in many streams - eg. the percentage of wild fish killed is much higher for gill netting. It's the total impact on wild fish that limits the fishery.
4) The commercial over harvest of fish from Alaska to the rivers has resulted in a dwindling resource and commercial gill netting is becoming a losing proposition economically. The fact is that gill netters will have to adjust to a changing situation/economy and find a different way to support themselves.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Good point DBA, I guess thats how the season is set. How long will it take to kill X% of wild fish, short for gillnetters, longer for sporties. I wonder how long the season would be if there were no gillnetters? Then maybe we would be driving down there for 2 or 3 months, not 2 or 3 weeks. I do feel special though, I've never been called an elitist before.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
FS - thanks for posting this. Without commenting on the content, I would remind everyone that the commercial lobby is powerful and they obviously feel they are being painted into a corner. We must keep ever vigilant as they are not only invested financially but emotionally as well. The fight is not over, it will be long and difficult. (Duh!) Probably the best reason I can think of for joining an effective lobbying group like CCA.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been around for a while and I seem to see some real similarities to a situation not all that long ago. Logging. I can remember back when the Spotted Owl made it's presents known and all the loggers cried wolf. The common theme then seemed to be, I've been a logger my entire life, my daddy, grand-daddy was a logger so I should be able to keep doing if forever. It strike me funny as how certain groups that have been doing something for X years/generations refuse to understand that NOTHING is forever. I have in my life changed job and careers more than once. I think the Commericals should man up and do the same.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Here's irony -
"It's a looting of resources that we've used for generations."
"They want to keep stealing and taking as much away as they can."

And a hell of a stretch (a real slap in the face to Jews in my opinion) -
"In comparing how fishing has been a part of him and his family for over 100 years here, he said, "It's like being Jewish. I couldn't not be one, even if I wanted to. Can't put it any plainer than that. It's my whole life.""

From one urban elitist to another, thank you Marsha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts