Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....found out why I should run the boat with both batteries (to charge them) but mooch with only 1 on, when you use both, the fish finder/cd player/etc... can drain the batteries....luckily Jack (Cat Fisher) was out there today and came to our rescue and towed us in (also glad I replaced my VHF that died 2 weeks ago), we did not catch any fish either, and Jack was just about to when we pulled him away from his fishing clap: , so I hope he went back and caught some :D

Thanks Jack Tup: you really saved us today. And a North River helped get us the last few yards to the dock which was very nice of them, as Jacks boat is a little big for the one dock that's open now...

-Rory

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: Thanks Cat Fisher and North River boat.

I'm just clad I was there to help and you are welcome.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Glad you got back but there is a very simple solution to this problem, the most overlooked item needed for a fishing boat. EVERYONE should have a portable battery jumper box with them. I have one that I have owned for about four years now and it has saved me many times and I can't tell you how many boats I helped either get back to the boat launch or out on the water fishing with it. I have used it to jump boats that are dead in the water either because they pull a boneheaded move like draining their battery :D or run the battery down because the motor was flooded and wouldn't start. I have started boats at the ramp who had dead batteries when they got there because they left something on overnight (this has probably happened to most people at least once). I have used it once when I was hunting 15 miles from where I told my partners where I was going to be way back where no one would find me for days, my battery died and if I( didn't have the jumper with me I might still be there. These boxes are very portable you just put positive on positive and negative on negative turn the switch to start and crank over your vehicle. They are smaller than most people's tackle boxes and only cost $30.00 - $80.00 depending on what extras you want with it. I have the cheap one, once the charge drops from using it a few times you plug it in your wall (or even in you cigarette lighter) and it charges right back up. I gaurantee you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Rory, I would test your batteries and watch them closely from now on. It doen't sound like you should have drained your battery while mooching.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
netboy said:
Rory, I would test your batteries and watch them closely from now on. It doen't sound like you should have drained your battery while mooching.
I did add a number of electronics to the boat :D , and they are both Starting batteries, no Deep Cycle, but it does seem they should have lasted longer, they are only 4 years old, so maybe they are not charging from the boat? The new one is bigger and a Starting/Deep Cycle, so it should last longer, and I now have the other starting battery charged and stored as a backup :D

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do like 4tboys idea, may have to look for one of those...

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I just carry a spare pull cord. ;)

A pull cord may not work for you though Rory. :D

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
It is always good to know people like catfisher, good on ya for helping Tup: clap:

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
This is another area (besides trolling) where having a kicker motor really comes in handy.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i8skeerd said:
Yup, I have one, been there, done that, danged embarrisin if'n ya ask me. Rory, if your battery's 4 years old, it's time to replace it.
I thought 4 years was still good :D , and I did replace one with a Starting/Deep Cycle, I guess I may need another too then...thanks Billy....

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Webo said:
This is another area (besides trolling) where having a kicker motor really comes in handy.
Did I mention my kicker motor's throttle quit working right then too :( , because that's what I always thought too Webo...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts