Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out last week from the doc that I need to make few life changes. According to my lovely, caring wife I need to start drinking more tea and less coffee :( I just can't stand how weak tea is!! Anyone know of a tea out there that has some cholesterol lowing qualities that isn't so damn weak? This Ooolong & Green tea stuff is just plain YUCKO!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
viperman said:
Just take 20mg lipitor and party on! Lowered my count by 40%
I'm already on it!!And 145mg Tricor as well
But with 319 (LDL) & 29 (HDL) I think I need to get a little more agressive than that. I can only hope that this lipitor stuff does what it's supposed to. Clearly I am not the only guy that doesn't care much for tea here..
I THOUGHT ALL THIS SEA FOOD WAS GOOD FOR ME!!!

·
Registered
15,118 Posts
Green tea, green leafy vegetables and a balanced diet from all four food groups... Tup:

I'm not into medications unless absolutely necessary. sick:

What did the doc find that prompts the change? High Blood Pressure, Hypertension or something?

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
If you want strong tea use two bags and let them soak for 2 or 3 times as long. I do that and my regular Lipton’s tea ends up looking like coffee. I am allergic to something in coffee so I have been drinking tea for many years now but I too like it strong and dark. I am also unable to drink Double Spice Chai Black Tea but I love that stuff. You might give that a try.

I have never found a way to make green tea real dark.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fishinfoolz said:
Green tea, green leafy vegetables and a balanced diet from all four food groups... Tup:

I'm not into medications unless absolutely necessary. sick:

What did the doc find that prompts the change? High Blood Pressure, Hypertension or something?
Unfortunately for me it was Diabetes. :(

·
Registered
421 Posts
squidward said:
viperman said:
Just take 20mg lipitor and party on! Lowered my count by 40%
I'm already on it!!And 145mg Tricor as well
But with 319 (LDL) & 29 (HDL) I think I need to get a little more agressive than that. I can only hope that this lipitor stuff does what it's supposed to. Clearly I am not the only guy that doesn't care much for tea here..
I THOUGHT ALL THIS SEA FOOD WAS GOOD FOR ME!!!
Well Lipitor will lower that number down but you probably do need some mods with your diet too with that count. 319 and 29 is a bit out of whack.
Me, I added a lot of green veggies to my diet in addition to all the fish I eat...... so start eating more of that salmon you catch and throw in some brocolli. The salmon should help the HDL count to go up and the brocolli or greens will work on the LDL. Just leave out the hollandaise until your numbers get better.

BTW: I was 240 and 40 before meds and a BP of 150/95- now i'm about 140 LDL and 45 HDL with BP of 115/80

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Duroboat said:
squidward said:
Welcome to the club Squidward. I was diagnosed 10 years ago and have been doing pretty well with it so far.
With both my parents having had it. It was not entirely unexpected. I run 3 days a week and have always thought I did a pretty good job of watching what I eat but I must admit I've never been a big fruit and veggies guy. My wife is determined to have me inline by my next blood test (she read somewhere that I needed to drink tea)

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
How does coffee affect cholesterol and diabetes? Coffee and tea both contain caffeine. I know that beer will negatively effect cholesterol but I didn't know coffee would. Interesting.

While I don't have diabetes I too need to make a few lifestyle changes. I will be 40 this summer and I can only see the "gold toe" part of my socks now when looking down. I was outside today doing some weeding and I swear the ground is farther away then it was last year, much harder to get down there.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Its all about the Earl Grey, hot (Who knows where that quote comes from!)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
madcapmag said:
Its all about the Earl Grey, hot (Who knows where that quote comes from!)
I'm a coffee drinker too, but a buddy got me hooked on Earl Grey with creamer and suger while we were in Iraq. Never tried any of other teas though.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Tetley Tea if you can get it. If not try English Breakfast it comes in a red bag.

I do not like Liptons.

Like Aaron said try it with milk/creamer and sugar. Try it first with just milk/creamer.

But be careful some teas over there do NOT take milk/creamer. They will curdle in your mug

·
Registered
15,118 Posts
squidward said:
fishinfoolz said:
I hope you get it worked out. I too am wondering what coffee has to do with Diabetes. That's why I was asking about High Blood Pressure and Hypertension. Does Caffeine affect Diabetes?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think the issue is with the Diabetes. My wife is a health nut and thinks that certain teas will help with the cholesterol problem. As you can see my levels are a fricken mess so I'm down with trying just about anything. I was just hoping someone here might know of a tea that's not so damn weak cuz this Oolong stuff is LAME!!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
DBAppraiser said:
I will be 40 this summer
:eek: , WHOA, about time for the pacemaker, huh. wink:

I hear ya about the "gold toe" on the socks, I'm in the same boat health wise, it will catch up to me soon if I don't take care of it.

Squidward, I have a friend who was diagnosed with diabetes and since he found out and learned how to handle it, he is healthier then he has ever been. He is losing weight due to the diet regimen and feels better throughout the day now. I hope it works out for you the same, being worried about it and asking questions about it are all good things and shows you will do well. Tup:

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I hear ya about the "gold toe" on the socks, I'm in the same boat health wise, it will catch up to me soon if I don't take care of it.
You are right Red, all kidding aside. It caught up to me as I am starting to have some little issues like plantar fascitus in my right foot and my lower back hurts from time to time.

I went and joined Weight Watchers today and there was some serious shock on my part when I stepped on the scale for the initial weigh in. Lets just say I am somewhere between Full back and Offensive Tackle weight without the good footwork, strength and quickness. 12 months from now will be a different story. Now I get to hang out with all the ladies at the Wednesday morning W.W meetings and swap low point recipes. Tup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts