1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3/4/2008, 9:06 p.m. EST
By LARRY LAGE
The Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) — T.J. Duckett is heading to the Seattle Seahawks with a five-year contract, the free agent running back told The Associated Press on Tuesday night.

Duckett, who played for the Detroit Lions last season, has 2,642 career yards rushing and 36 touchdowns. When he wasn't slowed by injuries, Duckett was productive in limited opportunities in Detroit's pass-happy offense. Last season, he carried the ball 65 times for 335 yards.

How Duckett fits with the Seahawks will have to be determined. Seattle has recommitted to improving its running game this offseason, signing former Carolina Pro Bowl guard Mike Wahle and hiring former Kansas City offensive line coach Mike Solari as offensive line coach.

Advertisement

Both moves were made in the hopes of sparking a running game that has significantly fallen off since Shaun Alexander was the league MVP after rushing for 1,880 yards and 27 rushing touchdowns in leading Seattle to the Super Bowl in 2005.

Seattle averaged just 4.0 yards per carry in 2006 and 3.8 last season. The struggles have been most notable in short-yardage situations. That's where Duckett's bullying running style could help. But he is likely to be stuck behind Alexander and Maurice Morris on the Seahawks' depth chart unless additional changes are coming.

A Seahawks spokesman said Tuesday the team had not signed Duckett, but were talking with his representatives.

Duckett previously played for the Washington Redskins and Atlanta Falcons, who selected him 18th overall in the 2002 draft after running for 3,379 yards at Michigan State. His best season came in 2003 when he rushed for 779 yards and 11 touchdowns with the Falcons.

Also Tuesday, Seattle hired former Michigan offensive coordinator Mike DeBord as an offensive assistant and signed tight end Jeb Putzier.

DeBord spent the last two years as offensive coordinator at Michigan under Lloyd Carr, who stepped down after last season. DeBord spent 27 years total coaching in college, including 12 years at Michigan. He was also head coach at Central Michigan for four years.

Putzier played two seasons with the Houston Texans and before that spent four years with the Denver Broncos. Last year, he played in eight games, and had six catches for 39 yards and a touchdown. Putzier has played in 61 career games and has 96 catches for 1,251 yards and three scores.

___

·
Registered
701 Posts
Duckett who? we need a good TE and we has cruompler in our hands and let him walk.. that guy from denver? who has heard of him? I hope the staff sees something in these guys because we have hands down the best fans and field in football and we need a title ..... I cant wait till kickoff 09.. GO HAWKS

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Putzier isnt that bad. he had a year of 400 plus yards not too long ago. if he can catch and get open, he will be a decent TE. I bet Crumpler didnt want to sign when he learned the Hawks will be drafting a TE in the first round or 2. Seahawks havent given us any reason to fret so I will let it play out and hope for the best

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
DBAppraiser said:
49ers signed DeShawn Foster today and a couple of other stiffs.
Way to go niners. lol

I see another season where they challenge us for the title. :roll:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
"Also Tuesday, Seattle hired former Michigan offensive coordinator Mike DeBord as an offensive assistant and signed tight end Jeb Putzier."

Horrible addition to add DeBord Tdown: . Hopefully, he doesn't have any input on the offensive schemes and plays. He is a joke when it comes to that stuff.

If you don't believe me, watch some highlights from the previous 5-8 years of Michigan football games.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ruskell must really like Duckett. At least it seems he is the first FA willing to spread the bonus out some so we could actually sign him. It's really too bad we could'nt afford Crumpler, by not making a push to sign him it makes me believe that they are leaning towards taking a TE with thier first pick in the draft. I hope they don't though cause the 2 best TE's in the draft are both short and undersized for the position, plus it takes a good while to integrate a TE into the Hwaks offense. I hope they draft the best position available - like the OT position is supposed to be stellar this year, or if one of the stud RB's falls to us the snatch him and dump S.A., or even De is supposed to have good first day talent - and you can never have too many good De's, just ask the Giants!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like my chances with Weaver blowing a hole for Duckett on the 3rd and 1 plays. I think that is the reason he was picked up, 3rd and 1, killed the Seahawks last year, won't be a problem this year with the young and in his prime Duckett Tup:

Alexander will be getting cut and then he will probably end up a 49er and Iceshark will finally be happy with such a hardnose back to root for in SF. ;)
They should have let Trufant go his seperate ways, IMO. The guy has one really good year and now he is worth mega millions, BS!!!!!! SHoot, he gets burned on deep and middle routes just as much as the other guys, he is definitely no Champ Bailey or DeAngelo Hall. Should have let him go and signed Crumpler.

Signing Seneca Wallace to a big deal in the middle of the season last year was also a joke. He will only be a second string QB, and thats it. If they paid him all that money, they need to use him at other positions.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
powder said:
DBAppraiser said:
49ers signed DeShawn Foster today and a couple of other stiffs.
Way to go niners. lol

I see another season where they challenge us for the title. :roll:
Yea and Duckett is good. NOT sick: I would so far rate the niners FA pickups and loss better then the Hawks. Bruce is still a good (not great) WR and they did not lose one of the best kickers in the league. Plus they wont loose there best DB like the hawks will wink:

At the rate this offseason is going I would be watching all the West teams as they get better. Like I said last year. It was the Hawks last stand or close to it. Look for any of the NIners, Cards or Rams (with a new great kicker wink: ) to be just as good as the downsliding hawks.

Going to be fuN! Not worth my time yet to get mouthy clown: That will come in Sept!

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
After looking at his profile it seems the Hawks picked up another FB with his weight. Don't expect any big runs from this guy. I'm not sure if he would be any better then we have.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Well, we all know just how well the 49ers FA signings worked out last year after being projected to be the smartest and most active team in free agency. :D
All they did was raise the bar for annual salary for cornerbacks when they over paid for Nate Clements. Now the Hawks and the Eagles have to pay $10 million for cornerbacks thanks to the brain trust in the Bay area. Bruce will look good running a fly pattern next to Darrel "Teflon Hands" Jackson. Tup: Ice, I know the 49ers really wanted Josh Brown because they wanted to increase their scoring potential from 50+ yards away since they can't break the plane of the "red zone". :D The Deshawn Foster signing could be the signal that Frank Gore is not the real deal in San Fran either.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Red Neckersom said:
I like my chances with Weaver blowing a hole for Duckett on the 3rd and 1 plays. I think that is the reason he was picked up, 3rd and 1, killed the Seahawks last year, won't be a problem this year with the young and in his prime Duckett Tup:

Alexander will be getting cut and then he will probably end up a 49er and Iceshark will finally be happy with such a hardnose back to root for in SF. ;)
They should have let Trufant go his seperate ways, IMO. The guy has one really good year and now he is worth mega millions, BS!!!!!! SHoot, he gets burned on deep and middle routes just as much as the other guys, he is definitely no Champ Bailey or DeAngelo Hall. Should have let him go and signed Crumpler.

Signing Seneca Wallace to a big deal in the middle of the season last year was also a joke. He will only be a second string QB, and thats it. If they paid him all that money, they need to use him at other positions.
It's obviuos that Trufant expects to be paid more than any other CB in the league, and obvious to those who follow football that he does'nt deserve that kind of pay whatsoever. My thought was why did'nt we entertain the thought of trading the guy? Heck get a first rounder out of the deal, be gone with the money grubber, and move forward. I'm sure there are at least a few teams with the cap space that would be more than happy to trade a first for him. it's about the only way I see us coming out OK on this. You just know that athletes hate the franchise tag and will almost always burn the team and walk after it is up. Plus you know this is a distraction for the team, and has the potential to get uglier. Last but not least if you traded the guy we get to utilize the 9.5 million in cap to pick up some needed free agents like Crumpler, not too mention we could have given Josh Brown the bonus up front like he wanted - I may be in the minority but I think if we could have done that he would have stayed. Things started out looking so positive when we signed Whale and Locklear - now we are left wondering why we could'nt get Brown and Crumpler signed, I for one would have been downright bullish on the Hawks if we could have pulled it all off.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Trufant and the Hawks are still negotiating and I'm pretty confidant that it will get worked out to both sides satisfaction. There is also a good chance that DJ Hackett will be back as the market for him has cooled significantly. It looks like most of his suitors aren't willing to pony up starter money for a guy who didn't stay healthy last year. We will just have to see how it goes. Josh Brown made a choice, plain and simple. He could have stayed here and been a play off participant while being either the highest or one of the highest paid kickers in the game. He chose to leave for even more money closer to home. It is that simple. The Hawks didn't low ball him and they negotiated in good faith. Sometimes things just don't work out. I really liked Josh Brown as he brought some excitement to the game from the kicker position similar to what Effrin Herrera brought here in the early days but it is what it is.

As for the Duckett signing, the question is who will lose out because of it, meaning someone in the backfield will most likely be moving on. Duckett wasn't signed to be a starter but he does give the Hawks a power back for short yardage situations that they have lacked in recent years. I think they will draft another back in the lower rounds of the draft as there are plenty of guys who will be available that can do what the Hawks want, ie catch the ball out of the backfield. As for who is leaving, that is a tough call to guess upon. They can cut Alexander later and save against the cap or cut Morris as he has reached his full potential here. Morris is not the long term answer at RB and if a young guy is drafted that has more upside then Morris, he could become expendable. I still look for the Hawks to draft a TE or look OL with their early picks and then go to a more "best player available" mentality as the draft progresses.

Free agency and the salary cap obviously forces teams to make hard choices. Look at the defections from the Patriots and the NY Giants this off season for example. Teams have to try and keep the "core" nucleus together and fill in around those pieces and the Hawks have shown that they are capable of doing that. The defense is very young and doesn't need much as it was bolstered last year by signing both starting safeties while our Defensive Line continues to improve and mature. I also think the Trufant issue will get resolved to both sides satisfaction. The offense will get younger this year as most draft picks will be focused in this area and if things work out right it should be improved next season.

The only team in the NFC West that really poses a threat to the Hawks, and it is a minimal one is the Arizona Cardinals but what really will keep these teams down again is the lack of consistency from the QB position. The Rams QB Bulger is getting long in the tooth and has taken a beating the last few years and they are also in a rebuilding cycle which will take a couple of more years, the 49ers are still trying to decide if Alex Smith is the answer and they do not have much QB talent at the back up position. Also, while the Mike Martz offensive philosophy is great for piling up yardage, it is very hard on a QB's health because they run a ton of no back sets which leaves the QB exposed to big hits. Finally, the Cardinals have to trot out either Leinart who is still very young and unproven or Kurt Warner who cannot stay healthy because he is a statue in the backfield. Also Edgerrin James is no youngster either. These three teams are still 2-3 years away from being serious division contenders and as the Giants have shown this year, just make the playoffs and anything can happen.

·
Registered
790 Posts
DBAppraiser said:
Trufant and the Hawks are still negotiating and I'm pretty confidant that it will get worked out to both sides satisfaction. There is also a good chance that DJ Hackett will be back as the market for him has cooled significantly. It looks like most of his suitors aren't willing to pony up starter money for a guy who didn't stay healthy last year. We will just have to see how it goes. Josh Brown made a choice, plain and simple. He could have stayed here and been a play off participant while being either the highest or one of the highest paid kickers in the game. He chose to leave for even more money closer to home. It is that simple. The Hawks didn't low ball him and they negotiated in good faith. Sometimes things just don't work out. I really liked Josh Brown as he brought some excitement to the game from the kicker position similar to what Effrin Herrera brought here in the early days but it is what it is.

As for the Duckett signing, the question is who will lose out because of it, meaning someone in the backfield will most likely be moving on. Duckett wasn't signed to be a starter but he does give the Hawks a power back for short yardage situations that they have lacked in recent years. I think they will draft another back in the lower rounds of the draft as there are plenty of guys who will be available that can do what the Hawks want, ie catch the ball out of the backfield. As for who is leaving, that is a tough call to guess upon. They can cut Alexander later and save against the cap or cut Morris as he has reached his full potential here. Morris is not the long term answer at RB and if a young guy is drafted that has more upside then Morris, he could become expendable. I still look for the Hawks to draft a TE or look OL with their early picks and then go to a more "best player available" mentality as the draft progresses.

Free agency and the salary cap obviously forces teams to make hard choices. Look at the defections from the Patriots and the NY Giants this off season for example. Teams have to try and keep the "core" nucleus together and fill in around those pieces and the Hawks have shown that they are capable of doing that. The defense is very young and doesn't need much as it was bolstered last year by signing both starting safeties while our Defensive Line continues to improve and mature. I also think the Trufant issue will get resolved to both sides satisfaction. The offense will get younger this year as most draft picks will be focused in this area and if things work out right it should be improved next season.

The only team in the NFC West that really poses a threat to the Hawks, and it is a minimal one is the Arizona Cardinals but what really will keep these teams down again is the lack of consistency from the QB position. The Rams QB Bulger is getting long in the tooth and has taken a beating the last few years and they are also in a rebuilding cycle which will take a couple of more years, the 49ers are still trying to decide if Alex Smith is the answer and they do not have much QB talent at the back up position. Also, while the Mike Martz offensive philosophy is great for piling up yardage, it is very hard on a QB's health because they run a ton of no back sets which leaves the QB exposed to big hits. Finally, the Cardinals have to trot out either Leinart who is still very young and unproven or Kurt Warner who cannot stay healthy because he is a statue in the backfield. Also Edgerrin James is no youngster either. These three teams are still 2-3 years away from being serious division contenders and as the Giants have shown this year, just make the playoffs and anything can happen.
In regards to this years free agent workings I guess we see things a bit differently DB. IMO the Hawks should'nt have needed to worry about the cap space to sign the people we needed to - if Trufant either took an extremely lucrative offer from the Hawks and signed or was traded then we would'nt have to lose anyone like your Giants and Pats etc(BTW the pats are a bad example - they let tons of guys go all the time if they won't play for alot less than they are worth). Josh Brown was only paid $200,000 dollars more to sign with the Rams, as he stated it would be eaiser to spread a bonus out if you were a player who was looking at a huge signing bonus - BUT kickers don't get that kind of money ever, so if he wants to up and buy say a real nice waterfront house then he needs all of his signing bonus up front and the Hawks could'nt do that with thier cap constraints due directly to Trufant. He flat out said if the Hawks had offered him the bonus up front like the Rams did then he would have stayed here and I believe him. We also could have signed Crumpler who took just a 2 year 5 million dollar deal from the Titans - but it was still too steep for us to pull off with our grim cap space.

I do hope we get a shot at retaining Hackett for the right price. I knew he and his agent were'nt going to get any action with what they were asking for, hopefully reality brings him back to us.

I agree the Duckett signing may leave the backfield a bit crowded, but maybe the Hawks are thinking more along the lines of him taking (injured and I beleive released)Pearson's role as backup fullback and special teams player. Obviously he will be the third and short/goal line go to back, but I think there is a spot for him if things stay the way they are currently.

I also think we are still the favorites to win the division for one more season. It just felt like it was 2 steps forward and 2(or more) steps back after we signed Whale and Locklear but then lost out on Crumpler and Brown. Losing arguably the best kicker in the league and also losing out on a very good TE when our biggest hole on the team is at the TE position are two things that could cost the Hawks in the upcoming season.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
DBAppraiser said:

I would agree on the issue with the niners being soft at QB. I agree and have always said the Alex is a second string QB. And without making any QB moves you may be right about them just not having enought QB to make run. I think they are going to shop Jackson around. I dont look for him to return next year with the niners.
Oh and Clements is worth EVERY PENNY! That guys is a stud! The Hawks should pay up for Trufant. Without him they are farther in the hole next year.

Gore is the real deal. His line is what is not. The new RB is only a backup to spell him.

If we get some QB help we will be the team to beat in a couple years. If not they we will continue to get beat.

Did you see that article on the WEST being the division to watch out for this year! Oh wait, that was the baseball west clown:

NFC WEST IS WEAK! Sorry to say Tdown:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Ok, I dont chime in much on these seahawks posts, but i will try to speak my opionin. As i watched the Hawks this past year, which had so much promise, only to be let down,(green bay comes to mind) they could not go on the road and win, with that said, I think they need another fast pass rusher like Kerney to take pressure off of just him trying to get through to the quarterback, with him out of the game, they had less than stellar performances at defense. Their defense still needs some revamping and consistancy.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Ice, the comment about Frank Gore was just in there to draw you out of the woodwork, and it was successful. :D

I actually think Darrel Jackson will have a pretty good year this season if someone can get him the ball. WR's do very well in Martz's system.

Berkley, one thing that no one addresses about the Hawk's defense is that it is not as effective on natural grass. It is a smaller defense predicated on speed and natural grass has a negative effect on that. That is one reason (not the only reason) why they went 3-5 on the road this year. I do agree that another pass rusher from the other side to give Kerney some help would be a good thing. Also it would be great if Tubbs would manage to get on the field for a change. That guy has had the worst luck I have seen since Steve Entman in the pros. Trufant will get done. I don't think he really wants to leave, he just wants to get paid and he should. He has had only 1 sub par year and that was the 2006 season when our safeties were not very good and he was playing on the wrong side of the field. Hawks improved the safeties and moved him back to his natural side this year and he was a Pro Bowler.

BTW, the AFC East is weaker than the NFC West but no one criticizes the Patriots for winning it every year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts