Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boat ownership is a blessing! C&I take immaculate care of our fishing equipment and, after many years of faithful service, finally turned in the old Merc Force for an offshore competitor, the Suzuki 4-stroke 90 hp. Talk about feeling like we were on cloud 9 - the motor started up like a dream and quietly purred.. We finally thought we had found a source of power that would take us many places long into our retirement. But, 5 years - and only 350 hrs of use - later our sweet Suzuki succumbed to the much www discussed internal exhaust passage corrosion. Now we are faced with a $2,000 to $2,500 repair bill because of poor engineering. The saddest part of this story? No recall, no efforts to make good. Suzuki â€" unlike other competitors when faced with engineering flaws â€" has refused to own up to any responsibility, instead choosing to lay all the burden of hefty repairs upon the people who trusted them the most: their customers. Suzuki has continuously snubbed their noses at the consumers who pad their pockets. It is our understanding that there is currently a class action lawsuit. What an unfortunate name they have made for themselves!

Here is a link to a post with technical info & pics to illustrate:
http://arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=555.0

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
What is involved in the repair? I am assuming it is replacing the case. I think I would fix it for $2500 and sell it for $4000. Unfortunately you can't sell it on this site now as everyone knows about the problem.:) Then I would take the $4000 and put it towards an Etec .

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
G&C,
I am so sorry to hear about this! I hope that something will get worked out for you soon!

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Oh man, that is really sad to hear you guys!! I hope something turns around for you soon!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
5 years and 350 hours! I guess im not fishing enough. my 05' Suzuki has 130 hours on it! I'm really not fishing enough.

Sorry to hear that. 7 years on mine and it looks and runs like new. After reading everything about the problem I don't understand why it would cost so much to fix. I hope you are treated fairly at your shop of choice.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
sorry to hear this.

i talked to a guy with twin suzuki 4 strokes and he said each one failed catastrophically at just over 600hrs. as soon as the first one was back from repair the second went. strangely enough he bought another set of zukis?

·
Premium Member
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again guys!

North River, I am glad to hear that you do not have this problem on your Suzi. Charlie down at Puget Marine has been taking care of us since C&I purchased the boat. We feel very confident having them work on this issue. The cost of the part + labor makes it pricey. A number of Suzuki owners have had a weld job done on their motors, but it sounds like most have had the issue reoccur on the part in another area 50 to 100 hours later. P.S., we all need to fish more!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Glen, get it fixed and trade it in on something with a real track history of performance. I can tell you I never had a single issue with my Yamaha 4 stroke kicker.

Reactions: stealheadr

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's AWEFUL! So sorry to hear about it. Good lesson to others. I know several people with Suzuki's that I will forward your story as a caution.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
DBAppraiser said:
What is involved in the repair? I am assuming it is replacing the case. I think I would fix it for $2500 and sell it for $4000. Unfortunately you can't sell it on this site now as everyone knows about the problem.:) Then I would take the $4000 and put it towards an Etec .
a
Etecs are far from flawless. Ask around and find out how many etec owners have replaced injectors.

Bummer about your Suzuki!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have Suzuki DF-150 on my Thunderjet as well as a Suzuki kicker.When i first heard this i called my dealer.This only applies to models thru 2008.They said not to worry about my engines.Since mine is a 2011 im not worried at all...

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
squidward said:
Glen, get it fixed and trade it in on something with a real track history of performance. I can tell you I never had a single issue with my Yamaha 4 stroke kicker.
Yami's are not fail-proof either. The boat I just bought is rigged with twin 150's. At a touch over 1000 hours, a balancer let-loose in one of the motors, destroyed the oil pump, which lead to power head failure. A common problem on these motors from the 2005/2007 era. It's a $1000 fix to prevent it if the problem hasn't already happened, $15,000 +/- to replace the motor if it's too late. No help from Yamaha in these instances either. I bought the boat with the intention of re-powering. The new Yamaha's should be hanging early next week!

Glen/Cami, I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I've some limited experience with Puget Marina, and a good friend of mine bought his NorthRiver with twin 140 Zukis from them. From what I know, they're dependable, and trustworthy.

Reactions: stealheadr

·
Premium Member
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
johnguz76 said:
I have Suzuki DF-150 on my Thunderjet as well as a Suzuki kicker.When i first heard this i called my dealer.This only applies to models thru 2008.They said not to worry about my engines.Since mine is a 2011 im not worried at all...
Tup: Tup:

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Every make and model can have issues.........HOWEVER......this specific issue should have resulted in an immediate recall to correct the problem.

·
Premium Member
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Big_Daddy said:
Every make and model can have issues.........HOWEVER......this specific issue should have resulted in an immediate recall to correct the problem.
True that!

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
F2G4E,

If I were you I'd write a polite articulate letter to Suzuki Marine describing your situation and be sure to include a link to this thread and also the Gamefishin.com's members page that shows how many fisherman and boat owners (6195) :eek: that are viewing this thread and keeping it in mind for their next marine re-power.

Find a member • All A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z # 6195 users

memberlist.php
You'd be surprised how sensitive astute companies are to different forms of social networking and their potential effect on their sales (good, BAD or indifferent).

Sometimes a happy customer and some good PR are a lot more valuable to the bottom line than a product replacement wink:

Good Luck Tup:

Reactions: Stonefish
1 - 20 of 48 Posts