Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the sonics sure told us all they are 3 or 4 years ago from being a playoff team, which is what Bennet wanted i suppose.

Kurt Thomas to the Spurs
Francisco Elson, Brent Barry and a 2009 first round pick to the Sonics

and in a very big and complicated trade between the supes, cavs and bulls
Wally Szcerbiak and Delonte West to the Cavs
Donyell Marshall(Cavs), and expiring contracts of Ira Newble(Cavs) and Adrian Griffin(Bulls) to the Supes

Figure Brent Barry is injured for the next couple weeks at best, assuming he isnt bought out to go to the Suns like some sources are reporting.

The sonics have nearly 10 picks in the next 2 drafts. You figure they might get lucky with a couple of them. I think they should package a couple picks and some money for a good young talent to compliment Durant, Green and whoever gets drafter early the next 2 years. If the core stays together, the team could have a long run of playoff appearances in the near future.

all speculation though, the team looks destined for oklahoma and under Bennetts ownership, he will blow something that could've made him even richer. whatever

·
Registered
240 Posts
So, do you think they will still be the Sonics when they are playing in Oklahoma? Oklahoma Sonics just doesn't have the same ring to it.

How about the Oklahoma Wranglers? Dustbowls? Okies?

I've lost all spirit in the Sonics unless they can work a deal to trade Clay Bennett!!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I think they can and WILL stay in Seattle. Tup:

Bennet may be an Okie... but he didn't get to be rich by losin' money... which is what the Sonics will do in Oklahoma City for sure!

With Wally and DeLonte gone, Durant has even MORE scoring pressure heaped on him. I'm glad Kurt went to a contending team. This season is effectively over except for the evaluation of the key pieces we DO have.

If PJ gives Donyell Marshall some run... I think I'll be sick! sick:

If we make it to 20 wins... I'd be surprised. Tdown:

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
These deals are all about stock piling draft picks and dumping salary. Brent Barry probably won't even suit up as he is injured and the Sonics will most likely just buy him out, then he waits 30 days and resigns with the Spurs or another playoff contender. Bennett is already clearing all the salary off the books so it will be hard to bleed him into selling the team. I still hope that something will get worked out but if it is up to the Seattle City Council to save the Sonics that isn't good. sick:

Recent polls out of Oklahoma have shown that their sales tax initiative is running 50/50 so there is some hope that it will fail. Unfortunately, there is no real way to force Bennett to sell this team to local ownership and I also don't see anyone in local or state government stepping up to build him a building. I'm not in favor of just giving Bennett a brand new building without his group kicking in some real money. I also don't think he really wants to stay here and it's pretty apparent that he bought the team with the intention of relocating it all along. Damn Howard Shultz for this.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I've been a die-hard Sonics fan since 1991and even though they SUCK right now and will for the near future... I still don't want 'em to go! Tdown:

Looks like I gotta bite the bullet and subscribe to NBA League Pass so I can watch all of the Golden State and Phoenix games. :cry:

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Webo said:
I've been a die-hard Sonics fan since 1991and even though they SUCK right now and will for the near future... I still don't want 'em to go! Tdown:

Looks like I gotta bite the bullet and subscribe to NBA League Pass so I can watch all of the Golden State and Phoenix games. :cry:
Dont sweat it Webo ... I have been a Dolphins fan for 35 years and after this season they tested my loyalty. Good thing I am overlooking last season. All teams have one. sick:

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
You could see this coming since the beginning of the season. I knew Thomas would be trade along with Wally. Its actually not a bad deal since you save so much in salary and get the chance to target youth. You're right, Barry may never even play a minute with the Sonics. I see him best in Laker purple and gold.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
No to hijack the thread but what did you guys think of Ichiro's comments the other day? McLaren said he wanted Ichiro to be a more vocal leader in the clubhouse and steal 80 bases. Ichiro replied when asked about this that McLaren sometimes talks "big" and that Ichiro hoped that he would stop doing that. ???? What kind of comment is that?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Tiderunner said:
I say who cares. It's Spring training and the M's are looking sweet. Go Mariners. Tup:
Speaking of "who cares" your right, it is baseball season sick: . Is it Sept. yet? Go Seahawks.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Woodfighter said:
No to hijack the thread but what did you guys think of Ichiro's comments the other day? McLaren said he wanted Ichiro to be a more vocal leader in the clubhouse and steal 80 bases. Ichiro replied when asked about this that McLaren sometimes talks "big" and that Ichiro hoped that he would stop doing that. ???? What kind of comment is that?
Hmmm, didn't see that. Thanks Wood.

Kind of wierd coming from Ichiro, but who is Ichiro anyway, ya he is a great hitter and baseball player, but in all these years with the M's he is really an unknown personality and individual. I personally like the way McLaren is so optimistic, I hope it rubs off on the team and comments like that don't get in the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts