Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather looks good for sunday, sunshine and mid 40's with light wind hope it holds. The high tide is at 8:23am. I hate gettting up early for BM but can't miss that. If the weather forecast holds I will start at West Point on the change and then move to some new spots that I haven't tried this winter. Hope to see you guy's out there. "Linda Lou" 68.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Im thinking the same thing. I will wait until Saturday night to see the weather before making my final decision. The fish have defenetly moved. From my last two visits too Jeff head the bite there seems to be slowing down, and the bait is gone. The fish seem to have moved to the east side. I think I am with you, Westpoint is a good place to start. Hope to see you out there if the forecast doesnt change, which I am sure it will.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
My past experiences over the years with Jeff Head is that the fish move just slightly south west around the corner and 10-20 feet shallower as January progresses.

A smaller batch of fish seem to move north 1/2 to a mile of the yellow house. Is it still yellow? I have not fished that area in 10 years.

Perhaps also they start to change food sources and start rooting around in the bottom.

Try 105-100 instead of 120-130. Perhaps Puget Sound cools off in January and the bait moves slighty shallower.

I'll let you know after Sunday what depths most of the fish come from.

There should be a lot of unpressured fish available, especially the way the wind is howling and whistling against the building this morning.

Any tips on what to use? I think Gary has been glassing us.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
this extracted from the above Everett Herald link --

BLACKMOUTH: Marine Area 9 opens Jan. 16 for a selective winter fishery allowing two clipped chinook, and it should be well-attended. All Star Charters owner/skipper Gary Krein said both Area 10, to the south, and Area 8-2, to the north, have been putting out blackmouth, and he expects good fishing when 9 opens. Feeder chinook should be running from just legal to 8 or 10 pounds.

Any of the three top spots in the "golden triangle" -- Possession Bar, Point No Point, or Double Bluff -- should produce, but Krein favors the east edge of Possession on a morning outgoing tide. On an incoming tide, he said, Point No Point might be a better choice.

He'll fish Possession close to the bottom in 90 to 120 feet of water, and he likes to start with a choice of three lures in the water: a Tomic 5-inch number 603 plug (glow white with red eye); a flasher/Coyote spoon combo; or a flasher/squid. The "yellowtail" spoon has been a good choice this winter, he said, along with the glow white/green patterns. His squid choice would be a green spatterback, and he would use a leader length of 34 to 40 inches behind the flasher with both the spoon and the squid.

The east side of Possession is easier to fish than the western, "outer" bar, Krein said. Just follow the break southward from the green buoy.

Midchannel Bank in the Port Townsend area will draw anglers as well, trolling Coyote or Coho Killer spoons, and going with the tidal run. Fishing was excellent when the season closed on Nov. 30.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Netman and myself hope to get out, probably to the Jeff Head or Point Monroe area in my 17 skiptower Arima. I'll be on 68 once I start fishing.

good luck all.

·
Registered
519 Posts
this extracted from the above Everett Herald link --

Any of the three top spots in the "golden triangle" -- Possession Bar, Point No Point, or Double Bluff -- should produce, but Krein favors the east edge of Possession on a morning outgoing tide. On an incoming tide, he said, Point No Point might be a better choice.
That's just opposite of my experience. Possession East side is better on the incoming, West side on the outgoing, P-No-P always on the outgoing.

·
Registered
940 Posts
sparky said:
Any tips on what to use?
Green / Glo 3 1/2" Coyote Spoon or a Green Spatterback Hootchie, both of these 26" - 28" behind a Green or Red Hot Spot is always a great start. Stay near the bottom, and pull it about 3 MPH. Sit back and watch the rods, cause it shouldn't take very long to get action. :mrgreen:

SPARKY, You have seen this how many times when the FISH 4 FUN Team is on the water?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Maybe only a hunderd or so. Can't wait until I can say "thousands".

Will you be out there Jimbo? Remeber that pallet strap? I'll never ever forget that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My boys and I will be out there on Sunday if at all possible. I will be picking up a bench seat for the boat, installing a trolling ring on the kicker, and wiring up my new VHF radio on Saturday... We will probably head out of Everett and fish try the Race Track for the first time. You can look for us in a black Alumaweld Intruder... We will be the ones that look like we don't know what the heck we are doing!!!! :shock: (But we try)

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am going to try and hit the hat island area also on sunday. Depending on wind and conditions I will poke around the south end of the island and then hit the columbia beach area. No matter how it goes at least I will get the boat wet. I am having withdrawls its been since october. arrrrg

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Oh, come on Sparky, you know what works clown: .

I'll be out there Sunday...even if the winds do kick up, looks like it shouldn't be too bad. I'll either be on the west or east side of Area 10. Good luck you guys.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
MGoBlue, I'll be watching your rods like a Seahawk while you are distracted by the smoked salmon.

It amazes me how many variations of the tried and true that do work.

Properly presented lures are far more critical than the lures themselves.

·
Registered
80 Posts
:cool: Joined a few boats today for a glorious day off Westpoint. Only a couple of small shakers, but worth the boat ride. CC23, Troll King, Squidward also were about. Not sure how the rest of the GFers did, but it was nice to just relax and not have to fight the w :cool: ind and slop!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Put in 4 hours in front of Kingston this morning. 6 fish on: 2-20inch hatchery, 1 lost at the boat, nice wild released at the boat and 2-23inchers in the box. Nice run from Everett good waters both ways.

·
Registered
940 Posts
sparky said:
Remeber that pallet strap? I'll never ever forget that.
The Duckworth was sure good for some great memories, but your right the banding strap that we sucked through the pump was a classic. It was amazing how much of it could get wrapped around the impellor. Adrift in the shipping lanes, kind of like Gilligands Island. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Well, after charging dead batteries via shore power hook-up, we made our way over to Kingston in the morning. Beautiful water. Nice sunshine too. No action until about 11a. Went 3 for 5...all 20/21 inch fish safely released. Red Racer and Dolphin Coyotes were the lures that worked. No hits on plugs. Fish came in 130-150 fow and 125 feet down. South side of the bar. From the weak reports lately at Kingston, I think it's been overfished. Needs time to "heal". Can't wait for Area 9 to open this week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts