Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so my brother is getting married on the 26th of July. There will be some family, friends and co-workers in-town in the days before and after the Big Day. Some have asked about fishing while in-town.

Would like to stay kind-of local, as-in within a couple hours-drive of SeaTac. What would your suggestions be?

If the lake is open for Sockeye, there's a no-brainer. I'm thinking Puget Sound could be ok. Cowlitz? Other? I have a salt and/or big lake boat. Most of these folks are not opposed to booking a day with a guide, so I'll be exploring that avenue as-well.

Open to all thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I dont know how many people you will have, but the cow is usually on fire as far as summer runs go at that time! i would be all over that, now if you want to bank it somewhere, or just string up a guide company for a day is up to you, but it should be a lot of fun there either way. Tup:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I am absolutely not going to pump up this fishery, but if they give us another hatchery season in Area 10, and if it is anything like last year, there's no other place to go!

nuff said, probably said too much

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would recommend taking your family to the Cowlitz for some summer run fun. Say hi to Dan for me I fished with Dan last year on the Cowlitz. If you decide to go on guides trips PM me I know a couple of guides that would treat you right.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Ken M said:
Westport charter you could take a lot of pepole
I second this. Did a blackmouth charter a couple years back and took a 35 lber and a 28 lber home.

I would also like to recommend that if you do this, you do NOT eat a box of doughnuts before you get on the boat. My friends did this and ended up puking and sleeping all day while i was catching fish. I nailed 8 fish that day and chose to take home those 2 while they were sleeping in the cabin of the boat. :roll:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Boy! Whatta great time of year. Salt salmon, Lake Washington Sockeye, Summer Steelhead all in that time frame. Hard to pick I'd have to say at this point salt salmon and summer Steelhead are your best bets. The cool thing about the salt is if they don't catch Salmon you can always entertain by catching some bottom fish. Heck even Dogfish can be a big hit with out of towners who have never seen them before. And really if you fish the Sound what can be better than leaving say Redondo at 5am as the sun is coming up on a clear day and seeing that mountain in all it's glory? That in it self makes a lot of folks happy and a trip that won't be forgotten.

Now as far as Summer Steelhead it'll be going full steam and this years return will be twice as good if not better than last year on the Cowlitz. Adult Summer Steelhead returns last year were from a dismal smolt release of just over 200,000 and we all know how tough of a year it was there. This years returning adults are coming from a smolt plant of nearly 600,000 and I fully expect the state to raise the limit to 6 fish again this year since recycling apparently will not be happening as was the case last year.

Tough call Matt.

·
Registered
513 Posts
MA11 and MA13 are smoking hot in july and august. Lots of fish and good weather. That would be my choice, but I'm mostly a salt guy anyway. Mike

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
I would have to say westport too for a easy way to get everyone out and into fish!! But the cow be another good bet with a couple of good guides!!!! Lots of choices ..... LoL... not much help was I Matt!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
Boy! Whatta great time of year. Salt salmon, Lake Washington Sockeye, Summer Steelhead all in that time frame. Hard to pick I'd have to say at this point salt salmon and summer Steelhead are your best bets. The cool thing about the salt is if they don't catch Salmon you can always entertain by catching some bottom fish. Heck even Dogfish can be a big hit with out of towners who have never seen them before. And really if you fish the Sound what can be better than leaving say Redondo at 5am as the sun is coming up on a clear day and seeing that mountain in all it's glory? That in it self makes a lot of folks happy and a trip that won't be forgotten.

Now as far as Summer Steelhead it'll be going full steam and this years return will be twice as good if not better than last year on the Cowlitz. Adult Summer Steelhead returns last year were from a dismal smolt release of just over 200,000 and we all know how tough of a year it was there. This years returning adults are coming from a smolt plant of nearly 600,000 and I fully expect the state to raise the limit to 6 fish again this year since recycling apparently will not be happening as was the case last year.

Tough call Matt.
6 summer run steelhead?!?! I need to fish the Cow more.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Late in July Westport is the ticket, Salmon, bottom fish, Tuna, So many fish to choose from. Take them all on a combo charter, catch salmon in the morning followed by a bottom fish stop. Tup:

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
i would strongly recommend a guided trip on the cowlitz. nice weather combined with some summer steel action! cant beat it. if you cant get on with one of the fine guides on the site i would try robs guide service. he bought a 25ft alumaweld last year and can accomidate large parties of at least 5. if i knew how to post his site address on this post i would for you, but it took me a month to figure out the picture posting thing.........sorry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts