Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Muddy or dirty water affect Sturgeon fishing? Any info would be great.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
If high water is forcing lots floating derbies down river, it can make fishing tough. Other than that, I don't think dirty water effects the sturgeon bite nearly as much as the temperature of the water.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Most of the time we fish the Columbia in Winter/Spring, it is very dirty. Like tuna man said, scent is the major attractor for sturgeon.

I have found sturgeon get pretty active in Port Susan around March/April and the action can be fast and furious. The water tends to be very muddied up at that time, as well.
Paul

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ive got a couple questions on sturgeon:

1, where to launch on the Columbia....and do I need a jet?
2, where else besided the "C" could I fish for sturgeon...and how?
3, where is Port Susan?

GJ

·
Registered
304 Posts
Port Susan is the general area between Camano Island and the mainland. Snohomish, Stillaguamish, etc. dump into the area. The water tends to be shallow at low tide in that area, so one needs to be VERY careful when sturgeon fishing there, but right now is the time when some of thos large ones start to come in. I catch very few shakers there, a fair amount of keeper-size fish, and A LOT of oversize fish in the 100 to 200# class!! Sand shrimp works well, but the crabs will eat you alive- about a 40 to 1 ratio crab to sturgeon!! Lots of fun and, because of the shallow water, the fish usually go aerial!!
Paul

·
Registered
357 Posts
How deep do you fish in Port Susan and how long of leader do you use?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts