Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it looks like I picked the right days a few months ago. Weather is predicted to be good, temps are warming, rivers should be in good shape. Going out for two days with Phil. Full report next week. Anyone have anything to report from today or yesterday on SW steel?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Re: Steelheading next Mon and Tues.

yep there's a few around , cast where phil tells you to , and pummel him with questions and you be a better fisherman

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

i have only had good times with phil. he works so hard to get you into fish. Even if you cracker a few, like yours truely :mrgreen: clown:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Less than 24 hrs until I'm fishing with the legend (Phil of course) and I'm psyched. No chance of rain tomorrow and highs in around 57. A little chance of rain on Tues aft and highs in the low 50's. The only thing that will make it better is some fish in the box. Full report on Tues even or Wed. AM.

·
Registered
519 Posts

There are fish around but you might want to lighten up on the legend, you are going to fish hard for what you get... It's been slow, casting where he says helps wink: Sometimes.

You will have a blast

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I changed the title to indicate the trip is past now. Phil warned me that fishing was "brutal" on the Satsop so we decided to drift the Humptulips on both days. Fishing was tough and both myself and my fishing partner were real neophytes to this steelhead thing. I never did get completely comfortable casting a float and 4-8' above the weight with another 2-3' of leader below that. I hadn't used a spinning reel in like 20 years and looked and felt like a klutz. It also took me the better part of a day to get to where I semi-reliably mended the slack out of the line. My fishing buddy was better with the casting but he (a stroke victim) has limited mobility in his left side and rarely managed to get the slack out of his line. Needless to say, we both missed a few strikes.

On Monday, the weather was gorgeous and we both caught one spawned out female in the 5-6lb range. Also caught a white fish or two and a smaller trout but that was it. Tues the weather was not quite as sunny but still it was great for a Feb day. The fishing however was not any better. We had a good size fish on (a hand-off from Phil) that charged upstream into a snag. Gone. Later we had another hand-off from Phil that I crackered off (spit the hook). Other than that, we didn't have a touch. Still, Phil was a great guy and put up with a lot of amateurish work on our part. The weather was awesome and the scenery great. That's why it's called fishing and not "catching". We'll get 'em next time (and I'll probably buy a 9.5' rod and spinning reel to practice with prior to going next time).

Thanks Phil.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Thanks Roger,

What a couple a great guys! Bob and yourself are class acts and hope to see you guys again in the summer on the Cowlitz. When we can put you into a few more fish.

I'll tell ya you guys did fine. The bottom line is the fishin has been tough this year with a good day being a couple fish and a great day being a few. Just tough.

We had good days, got to bang a few rocks, jump a few trees and hook a couple fish in some of the best weather we've had in months. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Scenery is always the best part of fishing those smaller rivers like the Hump and the upper Nootch... Putting some Chrome in the box is a bonus, and with the current fishing even getting a hookup is putting you ahead of the majority..

I just saw on the news that this month(feb 08) is going to be the 3rd dryest February on record for washington.... Makes for some tough fishing ...

You'll get em next time.. Summer time on the Cow with Phil is pretty much a guarantee of taking home some nice Steele...

·
Registered
3,154 Posts

Benwa said:
There are fish around but you might want to lighten up on the legend, you are going to fish hard for what you get... It's been slow, casting where he says helps wink: Sometimes.

You will have a blast
Hey Benwa , Mark here from the other day with Phil ,
What I mean is some parts of the river are definitely areas to {not] Cast and won't hold fish , Like chutes rapids , Flats less that two feet sloping down hill , Remember I just started river fishing , So I realise there are places that won't have fish , As apposed to Not paying attention and random casting , Wich I say all this with humor because at first I didn't have a clue where cast , Last I really fished was 70's in the salt with my dad ,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts