Game Fishing Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Cowlitzfisherman, I do understand the issue and I do treasure our nearly extinct wild fish . I'm not disputing your point at all. I'm just frustrated with the tribe being the steward of the environment yet they kill most of the wild fish. Preservation for them is just a political mask to get more money and strengthen their rights. I fish a few south sound rivers a lot and often saw a few wild steel and salmon mixed in the nets. some time I feel like RRMP's last comment if you can't beat them, you might as well join them. It is really tough trying to do the right thing when you see with others legally not doing the right thing.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Iron, I feel one of the biggest problems is there is no plan of attack. Sport fisherpersons have the power to make huge changes in our fisheries... but we dont know how to use or were unable to make a plan of action.

Battling all other user groups at once will not work (wild steelhead users/ commercial white netters/ tribal). Most sportspeople wouldn't think we would have to continuously educate our own user group... but that is what this thread has turned into.

Plan of attack...
Continue to remind/ educate sportfishers moral fishing ethics.
Focus on finally riding the Columbia of it's "hobby gill netter/ commercial white netter"
Then apply full pressure on the tribe!

There's a simple way to do all of this. Allow them to harvest their catch from the latters at Bonnie. All lower river fisheries will be left a lone and we will know exactly how many fish pass above the wall.

·
Registered
986 Posts
"Apply full pressure on the tribes"? They are the ones paying for and producing most the fish we catch. What exactly does " apply pressure" mean? You want them to stop paying for and producing fish for us to catch? If you don't want them to fish, do you really thing they would keep their production up for you? LOL, funny idea!
Please show me some $#.

·
Registered
986 Posts
You've got the internet, look it up. Go to their websites and read about their hatcheries, habitat enhancement projects, lidigation, and fish production plans. Nez Perce is a place to start. Click on Fisheries.

The Columbia, Puyallup, Skokomish/ Hoods Canal king and chum and others would be nothing without them.
Thank you for the internet suggestion.
This is a copy/paste straight out of WDFW.
51 tribal hatchers vs. 95 tax payer's hatcheries.
Should I need to look into production capacity between these two groups to get the actual mass unit of fish produced?
How about the tax money trail from the tax payer going around into the tribe's funding?

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) now operates 83 hatchery facilities, of which 75-80% are dedicated to producing salmon and/or steelhead and another 20-25% rear trout and other gamefish. Fifty-one tribal hatcheries (45 NWIFC facilities, three Colville Confederated Tribes and three Yakama Nation) and 12 federal hatcheries also contribute to the statewide salmon harvest, which contributed over $1-billion to the state's economy according to estimates by the U. S. Department of Commerce.

·
Registered
986 Posts
We can make a new thread to discuss the budgeting of Tribal hatcheries and Non-Tribal hatcheries. I really want to learn more about this issue.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
When you can "see them", they have already seen you a long time ago!
Not true. Many times I've seen the moment they spot me.

Here's a true story. I was watching two bucks and a hen one day near the Cascade, and I was looking at them with binoculars trying to see if they were clipped. At least two were not, so I wasn't going to bother climbing down the steep bank. It was winter but the sun was out, and I was warm so took my dark brown outer sweatshirt off and was wearing a bright yellow top. It startled all three of them so bad you could see them flinch and dart for the rocks and riffles. They had been completely relaxed and doing thier thing prior to seeing me. I watched the smaller buck move in and get chased off twice by the bigger buck. He was showing off for his girl.

I've also watched them on the Sky follow my spoon in, and the moment they spot me was obvious by the way they flinch and run. Same with king salmon.

I started out fishing steelhead and other trout in clear rivers and sight fished wearing dark clothes, not skylining yourself, being aware of your shadow, staying back from the edge, being quiet and a good pair of polarized glasses worked. As I got better at fishing them, I sight fished less and read water more, but I still get a kick out of spotting them, presenting my offer and watching them nail it! Fish on!

Now I need to watch this video, again, lol.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is one problem with only targeting rivers that have only Hatchery runs, there are only a handfull of those rivers in the state. If your not fishing those rivers like the Cowlitz and you are fishing for Hatchery Steelhead then you are fishing over water with wild fish in it. Just about all of the Olypen rivers that you fish for hatchery fish have wild fish in them and most of the other steelhead rivers in the state are the same. I have said for years on this site that the reason fisherman want to protect wild fish is so that we can fish for them when deemed healthy. People on fishing forums don't get to decide when a population of fish is healthy. You don't have to listen to the loudest few.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
seems last year there was a similar video posted by these same guys.. Where they.... im gasping for air....hold a wild stealhead out of the water....
The same Board trolls made the same disparaging remarks about how it was ILLEGAL here in WA and how much BS it was to do so.....

Then On that other video, there were a few shots showing their License plates... Oddly they weren't WASHINGTON plates. They were OREGON plates.

Ironically Oregon Has Different rules about holding fish out of water and have some solid runs of Wild fish to fish over.

But anyhow, I was just passing thru to laugh at what this site has become.
Same ole same ole, with less and less members posting/contributing.

Carry on.

·
Banned
7,960 Posts
Tail

Oregon is not up to their Chest Waders in wild steel from what I have read, show me where it says they are making a huge comeback. In fact last I read Oregon sporties want to know why after more than a decade of few to no hatchery steel, wild numbers are not increasing. So bring your facts, thanks.........RJ out.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Tail

Oregon is not up to their Chest Waders in wild steel from what I have read, show me where it says they are making a huge comeback. In fact last I read Oregon sporties want to know why after more than a decade of few to no hatchery steel, wild numbers are not increasing. So bring your facts, thanks.........RJ out.
There`s a guy named Jack Smith in Oregon, ignore the fact that he is a CCA guy for a minute. He is a fisheries geneticist and has written many posts on hatchery genetics. It has been proven time and again that without p-new added to the p-old stock, that stock will fail. It can be proven across all species, I know Sg and salma hate my farm anologies, it is a fact of life and heredity. The small cult that thinks steelhead will become abundant in the absence of hatchery fish are ignoring history and genetics. Steelhead were never "plentiful" enough for a concentrated fishery. Hatcheries made them so.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
seems last year there was a similar video posted by these same guys.. Where they.... im gasping for air....hold a wild stealhead out of the water....
The same Board trolls made the same disparaging remarks about how it was ILLEGAL here in WA and how much BS it was to do so.....

Then On that other video, there were a few shots showing their License plates... Oddly they weren't WASHINGTON plates. They were OREGON plates.

Ironically Oregon Has Different rules about holding fish out of water and have some solid runs of Wild fish to fish over.

But anyhow, I was just passing thru to laugh at what this site has become.
Same ole same ole, with less and less members posting/contributing.

Carry on.
Mike

You ain't seen nothing yet!:rolleyes:

Just wait tell you see the FLOOD of new fishing rule proposals that ask WDFW to enforce a new rule which states; that no part of a wild steelhead will be allowed to be taken out of the water....period! And when they come out, you will also notice that they were not signed by either RJ or me. The numbers of fishers who are opposed to talking wild steelhead out of the water for a picture has tripled over last year here in WA!

As far as where their license plates had come from, mean almost nothing. I'll place a bet with you that those guys fish on a lot of wild steelhead here in Washington too, and that's a reason why they NEVER tell the viewers where they are hooking these wild fish at. If they did, the WDFW Enforcement guys would be all over them! It's called....CYA!!

Just saying

·
Registered
807 Posts
Of course they fish Washington waters.

Most that walk the river banks recognize some of the water.

They walk among us and might as well walk holding a wild steelhead over there heads.

It is simply a matter of time until mankind screws up his own wet dream.

Soon a wild fish sighting will be as rare to see as a nun in a bikini.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts