Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Wowza! You guys put on a show!
I haven't seen a bad video yet from your crew. Well done sir, well done.
#Trill.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Why use that special net and then hold them out of the water for pictures?
I also see that one of the hens was pretty well puckered up down below, which indicates that they are in their prime spawning stage. Are these guys fishing these wild steelhead on their redds?

Just asking

·
Registered
727 Posts
Why use that special net and then hold them out of the water for pictures?
I also see that one of the hens was pretty well puckered up down below, which indicates that they are in their prime spawning stage. Are these guys fishing these wild steelhead on their redds?

Just asking
OMG, fishing for spawning steelhead? Seriously Bob, have you ever fished for a steelhead that wasn`t looking to spawn?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
It's an unwritten law amongst Steelhead anglers not to fish on redds. Most choose to abide by that in written law. I didn't watch the video so I can or cannot say if they were out for some redd zone easy pickins. Wouldn't surprise me a bit however.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
OMG, fishing for spawning steelhead? Seriously Bob, have you ever fished for a steelhead that wasn`t looking to spawn?
Yeah Bill, I have.

A perfect example are the summer run steelhead that we fish upon on the Cowlitz. Those fish for most part do not "spawn" in the lower river nor do they spawn much in the tributaries either. The 3 recycling studies showed that the vast majority on the summer runs were headed to the salmon hatchery and not to spawn in natural redds in the Cowlitz. The genetic study also reflected pretty much the same. As far as I know, out of all the steelhead (summer runs) that had radio tags in them, none were found on any "redds" in the lower Cowlitz.

It appears that the Cowlitz Salmon Hatchery is their only redd destination :D

·
Banned
7,960 Posts
Bill

Of course there is a distinct difference fishing returning steel and fishing on them over red beds. Some upper river areas are closed to keep the spawning adults unmolested. I will of course release any full finned fish but I do not fish wild rivers for the purpose of just practicing C&R. I am so hatchery and love to bonk on them the more the merrier .......Dam in the way.......RJ out.

·
Banned
7,960 Posts
CFM

Imagine that hatchery fish programed to return to the hatchery and they did just that. And this surprises the brain trust at WDFW? WDFW there is no bad hatchery fish behind every rock in the river........get over it already.....data in says you guys got it wrong.........now imagine that for a moment, okay the moment is gone, now buck up and load our river with hatchery fish.......RJ out.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yeah Bill, I have.

A perfect example are the summer run steelhead that we fish upon on the Cowlitz. Those fish for most part do not "spawn" in the lower river nor do they spawn much in the tributaries either. The 3 recycling studies showed that the vast majority on the summer runs were headed to the salmon hatchery and not to spawn in natural redds in the Cowlitz. The genetic study also reflected pretty much the same. As far as I know, out of all the steelhead (summer runs) that had radio tags in them, none were found on any "redds" in the lower Cowlitz.

It appears that the Cowlitz Salmon Hatchery is their only redd destination :D
An adult steelhead is present in fresh water for only one reason. If you`re going to throw the hatchery spawn out there as not really spawning you may as well buy farmed fish, as those are surely not looking to spawn.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Bill

Of course there is a distinct difference fishing returning steel and fishing on them over red beds. Some upper river areas are closed to keep the spawning adults unmolested. I will of course release any full finned fish but I do not fish wild rivers for the purpose of just practicing C&R. I am so hatchery and love to bonk on them the more the merrier .......Dam in the way.......RJ out.
If you truly did not want to fish for spawning fish, you would not fish salmon and steelhead in fresh water. It`s possible to get them in the salt, where they truly feed and live most of their lives.

·
Banned
7,960 Posts
Bill

Billy, Billy, Billy, going to spawn via traveling in the river and actual act of spawning are two different scenarios, albeit salt water fish are also headed to spawn so the point here is no point at all we are all fishing on fish that will be spawning. The best place to sight fish steel is when they are on their spawning beds, not always just mostly...........All you fly guys fess up I know you do it......................RJ out.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
An adult steelhead is present in fresh water for only one reason. If you`re going to throw the hatchery spawn out there as not really spawning you may as well buy farmed fish, as those are surely not looking to spawn.
They may be "looking" but that is where it all ends:D

lol...It works the same for all Salmonids, as well as all other fish species....and some humans too:eek:

·
Registered
727 Posts
I used to fish those same streams for "trout" Bob, then the WDFW told me I was eating smolts? MMM

·
Registered
727 Posts
They may be "looking" but that is where it all ends:D

lol...It works the same for all Salmonids, as well as all other fish species....and some humans too:eek:
You think the two hatchery fish in the photos I posted were just looking? LOL. One is in love with a boot and the other is smoking a cigarette.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
I used to fish those same streams for "trout" Bob, then the WDFW told me I was eating smolts? MMM
Bill

My dad used to catch "smolts" on the Cowlitz and he too though at that time that he too was eating trout?

I guess that he was eating a "trout".

Bill, you need to drop the boat picture, and then we can see which pictures your are referring to. Nice boat

1 - 20 of 115 Posts