Gamefishin.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a shocker {heavy sarcasm}
I know these numbers can translate across the board for other systems as well.

Lower Columbia winter steelhead returns way down from last year

Washington lower Columbia hatchery winter run steelhead returns are down from the same time last year according to state Fish and Wildlife:

(2013) 349 (2012) 634 Cowlitz

(2013) 40 (2012) 77 Kalama

(2013) 29 (2012) 283 Lewis

source
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/reeltimenorthwest/?from=stnv2

·
Registered
784 Posts
The returns are down all over the place. I'm hoping it's just a bad year and not a sign of things to come. I've talked to dozens of guys on different systems and all say the same thing, way less fish around than usual.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Really :?: light: light: light:

What did people think was going to happen now that the agencies have cut back steelhead production on almost every fricken hatchery on the Columbia Tdown:

Talk about a no brainer :lol: :lol: :lol:

What did the sport fishers think was going to happen :eek: :eek: :eek:
You all can thank the HRSG boys for this great piece of work Tdown:

I can hear it already :lol: .....its the cold water, its the cold dry year,...its.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Cowlitzfisherman said:
Really :?: light: light: light:

What did people think was going to happen now that the agencies have cut back steelhead production on almost every fricken hatchery on the Columbia Tdown:

Talk about a no brainer :lol: :lol: :lol:

What did the sport fishers think was going to happen :eek: :eek: :eek:
You all can thank the HRSG boys for this great piece of work Tdown:

I can hear it already :lol: .....its the cold water, its the cold dry year,...its.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
It will only get worse. WE NEED FISH TO BE PLANTED!

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Simply Unbelievable!

Yes, it's simply unbelievable that according to WDFW own State Steelhead Management Plan (SSMP) that denied our recycling of summer run steelhead for the past several years. It's costing the local economies literally millions of lost dollars every year! Last year The Cowlitz steelhead recycling study (http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/ofr20131116 ) that was done by the UGGS shows that some 10,777 summer run steelhead were captured at the Cowlitz Salmon Hatchery back in 2012. Other then brood stocks needs, the vast majority of these fish were simply killed and were given to the food banks and tribes.

What a huge economic waste to the local economy this has been! The WDFW State Steelhead Management Plan (SSMP) pretty much sums up what WDFW has cost us and our local economy. Don't take my word for just turn to their SSMP (Page 48) and see for your selves, and the best part is that it's all there in their own words.

Hatchery origin steelhead provides substantial recreational and economic benefits to Washington residents. Recreational anglers have harvested an average of 99,300 steelhead per year since 1995. The vast majority of these were hatchery fish. It is estimated that during that time, steelhead anglers spent $99 million per year or almost $1,000 per fish in Washington communities (Scott, et. al., 2006).
Now how's that one for knocking off your socks? A $1000 dollars per fish is what we sport fishers are spending, and yet they can't recycle them just one time for us? A $1000 per fish and they have cut how many fish back from hatchery production each year? If we use their own figures, ($1,000 per fish…1000 x 9,500 fish) they had cost our local economy here on the Cowlitz alone, about $9 million in fishing related revenues in 2012 if I did the math right. This the first time that I have seen this figure, but it comes straight out of the WDFW SSMP!

Anglers should be outraged once these numbers are known.

Spread the word…hatchery caught steelhead generate $1,000 bucks per sport caught fish to our communities!!!

·
Registered
784 Posts
I don't disagree, just curious what's happening. Looking at the release numbers from last year compared to this year, they are very similar in a lot of systems. What's not similar are the returns from this period last year compared to this year. Obviously, if they plant less, less will return. Why though, are the returns running around half if the plantes are the same?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
STEELIE ADDICT said:
I don't disagree, just curious what's happening. Looking at the release numbers from last year compared to this year, they are very similar in a lot of systems. What's not similar are the returns from this period last year compared to this year. Obviously, if they plant less, less will return. Why though, are the returns running around half if the plantes are the same?
Why is it obvious that if they plant less, then less will return? If you look at the historical data, you will see that the years of the largest hatchery plants did not equate to the largest returns.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Eddie

This thread is about the Lower Columbia steelhead low returns. light: So what "historical" data are you using to support that assertion on the Lower Columbia River hatchery steelhead plants?

You say the "largest years"; what years are you referring to and on what rivers are your figures related to? Surly you are not saying that just because they may have had large numbers of released of smolts, (like the "dead man walking" diseased fish that have been released on the Cowlitz for decades now) along with all the issues, that it means that large numbers of healthy released hatchery fish don't come back in equal numbers? In this case here, we are talking about "steelhead" released, and not the other salmon species, that have many other "issues" to deal with.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Cascade shutting down confirms the dismal steelhead return this winter. (hatchery fish)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts