Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, something i have pondered for awhile, can steelhead be targeted in the saltwater? is there a way to fish for them that works or is it sure luck to hook one in the salt, 2nd part of question is, do steelhead travel the same migration routes of salmon or do they stay off of coast, do they hang a hard right and go north or do they stay close to home.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
People catch steelhead off the west side of Whidbey Island. Others can describe the technique better than I.

As far as their migration in the ocean, I've read that they basically head straight west.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Im actually going tomarrow morning off the beach. A hoochie with a spin and glow works very well cast and retrieved slowly, especially tipped with prawns. Fish the outgoing tide since the fish seem to really hug the shore with some outgoing current. It can be really hit and miss though. Some days you might do well other days not even a strike. Don't be discouraged if it seems like nothing is out there, Ive caught them in 15 minutes of fishing and and sometimes 5 hours or more. Can't beat the fight of a fresh ocean steelhead with plenty of room to run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts