Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
My first and only trip to the great north was in 1990, my brother was stationed in Ft. Richardson at the time. I brought my steelhead gear Reds & 1 salmon rod for saltwater excursions.
I brought back a 120 quart cooler full of Red fillets and dry ice.

I killed em with the steelhead gear with 8# test & red yarn & small #1 hooks while my brother and his friends used short stout fiberglass rods, 30# test line & those huge gawdy Coho flies and were lucky to get 1-2 fish to my dozen per trip......

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
My buddy kills em on the Situk in May. He stays at GBL.
If those were all wild fish, you might want to rephrase that a tad bit.:D

Not often do we get to see guys using "fly gear" with a bottle of bear strapped to them
121E78~1.GIF

·
Registered
261 Posts
I fish the Situk every year about this time, getting there a little late this year in about 2 weeks. Can be awesome, specially the fish that came in on the last tide a mile or 2 from the salt. Awesome wilderness with great fishing. If you go stay at Glacier Bear Lodge, best place in town and reasonable.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
He isn't fly fishing and he isn't bonking anything either.
No one said that he was "fly fishing"! What they said was that he was using "fly gear" Are you telling me that his reel wasn't a "fly reel" which in most fishing circles is consider as "fly gear"!

At least one out of every ten that he's caught, statistically would be considered as being a "bonked" fish, especially the way that he was handling them and holding them out of the water after a fairly long fight. Yes, he may not of known it, but some of them likely got bonked! Now lets debate if it was really beer, coolaid, ice tea, or "nearbeer" in his beer bottle next.:rolleyes::D

·
Banned
7,960 Posts
Nice thanks for sharing. Summer hatchery steel is just around the corner and we can bonk them......I'm into bonking...........RJ out.

·
Registered
290 Posts
We flew out to the Asek river south of Yakutat last june for sockeye. The pilot tipped the plane a little so we could see which channel the fish were in...........the water was black with fish!!
I walked out of the river about 4:30 that afternoon and said something I have never said or thought I would ever say...."I'm tired of catching fish"...my knee's buckled and I had to lay in the grass a while to gather my strength to pack our gear and fish back to the dirt strip.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Situk is quite a river. I guided there many many years ago. Did winter Steelhead and fall Silvers. We could do some real big numbers there.

Mostly stayed at Glacier Bear Lodge. It's way better now!

Got an old picture album of a bunch of fish but have no idea how to scan and post them.

oldguy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts