Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would consider myself succesfull at catching steelhead and knowledgable ,but for some reason i can not catch salmon for the life of me! It seems like almost every time i go out for steel i will hook up but when i go out for salmon i get one every ten times i go out. It is not just this past season but since I have been fishing.
So Im I the only one like this or do most people see this? its just a random thought that has been bothering me :evil: So lets hear what you guys have to say.
Omar

·
Registered
434 Posts
Isn't it usually the other way around? It could be ALOT worse- i'm guessing this is more of a timing/location issue than anything...
good luck

·
Banned
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not complaing but just thought it was odd. Its not a timeing thing cuz i fish all the time ha ha. I have met other people that felt this way on the river.
Omar

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Are you a good at curing eggs and fishing bait, that translates into a good salmon season usually.

Steelhead are more sight oriented and pretty good biters when you present something in front of them. Salmon are quite a bit pickier when talking about what they actually like to bite. Once again, this is not the standard, just and observation.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Do you fish for salmon strictly in rivers? There are certain times and places in
the salt where you would have to try really hard NOT to catch a silver.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Trust me your not alone, for every salmon that I catch I could probley hook 3 steelhead. Though I dont salmon fish as much because it seems to attract the large crowds. Steelhead mainly bite on sight unlike your typical Fall salmon which bite mainly on sense of smell, thats why some people swear on their egg cures.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I am definetly the other way around. I can catch Salmon but Steelhead are quite elusive, I only catch 2 or 3 steelies a year...If that. I usually fish bait for Salmon and Steel. I do find that a hammered spoon in either brass or silver will also draw a strike from salmon. The only thing I've caught steel on has been bait or jigs under a float.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Each of our anadromous salmonids have different prferences for holding and migrating waters. As with all types of fishing being able to understand and pattern the fish we are chasing is a major key to success. As I like to say one key is learning to spend 90% of your fishing time fishing that 10% of the water that holds the fish 90% of the time.

I suspect that you have pretty welll become "dialed in" in regards to where the steelhead are but have some work to do with the various salmon. Few anglers understand each of our salmonids well enough to be able to correctly to read the water (especially unfamilar water) to be successful with each species. Of course if you want to put a positive spin on things there remains many new fsihing challenges to keep you interest in the sport.

Tight lines
Curt

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Well, I will make you a deal Big O, you take me and catch some Steelies, as they don't like me :lol: , and I will take you to catch some Salmon, sound good, I know where some nice Chums are hiding right as we speak :?:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Thats why snagging and flossing salmon is so evident, guys can't catch them legally so they resort to the long leaders and rip them at every drift. Best ways to catch them is first to find fresh, unmolested fish, then use good eggs, alternating scents until you find the one that works, or use spinners/spoons/plugs to get the aggressive fish. Not too many times a salmon hit a corky and yarn combo with regularity. Like others have stated, steelhead are more sight based feeders. ChumMan and I always laugh when we're tossing eggs or sandshrimp and guys ask "what color yarn are ya usin?" we'll reply with "eggs" or "sandshrimp" and most times you'll hear either "dang Cletus, we shouldn't have left the eggs in the truck" or "is that somewhere between rocket red and pink?" Have good eggs, that'll usually get 'em.

·
Registered
200,908 Posts
Big O I am right there with ya, can't hook a salmon to save my life, but steelhead come pretty easy for me. Someone out there WE NEED HELP!!!!

·
Banned
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guru lets do it. I'll pass on the chum trip but you'll have to give me a rain check for next year. Let me know when you want to get out.
Omar

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Big O said:
Guru lets do it. I'll pass on the chum trip but you'll have to give me a rain check for next year. Let me know when you want to get out.
Omar
You got it, any time next year, PM me and we will see about hooking up, where ya headed Saturday? :)

·
Banned
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dozer said:
Why are you complaining I would rather catch steelhead any day.
Not complaining at all just was curious to see what it might be that im doing is all. Steel are always fun Tup:
Omar

·
Registered
114 Posts
Omar,

Both species definitely can be challenging at times. +1 on the timing and location, both are major factors. Google earth depending on updates can be very helpful in finding locations on rivers, which may require scouting these areas as some rivers may have had a change due to weather conditions. Examples the Salmon river first rain in September this river will have a push of Silvers Salmon, metal (spoons - spinners)usually works well on these fish. The Cowlitz river blue creek area slot between the Islands if your daring enough to cross last week in September will hold 30-60lb size big Kings in the slot and at first dark they become active hence (glow balling). A lil tougher landing them at night but an awesome battle most times you will end up at the bottom of the island trying to land them. Same spot will hold Steelhead and Silvers as well through the fall into Winter. Only place I've had to do the fish rodeo ride in the bigger Kings feel the power between your legs :).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts