Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a SS impellar. What brand model # would I need for my '05 Yamaha 90/65 4stroke?? :?:

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I wouldn't get one BigKat. They don't help performance at all on outboards less than 150 hp and could even hurt a bit... especially on a 4 stroke.

If you go to http://www.outboardjets.com you can get more info. They make pretty much all of the outboard jet pumps and they made the one you have.

I have the same exact motor... '05 Yamaha 90/65 4 stroke.

The best thing to do is to learn to sharpen and shim your aluminum impeller yourself... and outboardjets.com has instructions on how to do it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Webo said:
I wouldn't get one BigKat. They don't help performance at all on outboards less than 150 hp and could even hurt a bit... especially on a 4 stroke.
That's not *entirely* accurate- they do help quite a bit on Yamaha 115 4-strokers. I experienced it myself. You lose about 200 - 300 RPM, but the hole shot is significantly better, especially with a load and I was able to stay on plane at lower RPMS. I did have to switch it out for the 3-blade aluminum when I travelled to the high lakes as the motor at those altitudes couldn't overcome the weight of the SS impeller and it was a dog.

That being said, I agree that you would not want a SS impeller in a 90HP/65HP motor. Not enough torque/horsepower to compensate for the weight of the impeller. You would probably end up with worse performance than you have now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to the river jet web site. They also said performance was enhanced for motors 100hp or more and under 100hp the benefit is longer impellar life (which is what I'm looking for).

I am a bit aprehensive about sharpening and shimming myself. Is it possible for me to totally f-up the job? Anyone have bad first time experiences?

My impellar edges are getting dull and dinged. I haven't lost noticable performance yet but I think the job should be done soon.

Do you need to remove the impellar or just the shoe?

Thanks for all the help by the way.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
bigkat said:
I went to the river jet web site. They also said performance was enhanced for motors 100hp or more and under 100hp the benefit is longer impellar life (which is what I'm looking for).

I am a bit aprehensive about sharpening and shimming myself. Is it possible for me to totally f-up the job? Anyone have bad first time experiences?

My impellar edges are getting dull and dinged. I haven't lost noticable performance yet but I think the job should be done soon.

Do you need to remove the impellar or just the shoe?

Thanks for all the help by the way.
No worries it's easy to do yourself. Longer life of the impeller doesn't mean a longer life of the sleeve. I'll see if I can find the link to how to do it yourself. There's been one here a few times maybe someone can beat me to the punch. I gotta get some stuff ready for the morning.... It's easy Brotha! Tup:

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
The problem with SS impellers Bigkat is that they are much heavier than an aluminum one. Like Chuck said, spinning them up coming outta the hole is harder on smaller HP outboards and 4 strokes are notoriously sluggish on holeshots anyway.

I've sharpened mine 3 times already and have shimmed it once. It's EASY to do. Just pull the shoe off, loosen the big brass nut and pull the impeller and liner out. Use a file or a Dremel tool with a fine grinding bit and follow the directions from the http://www.outboardjets.com site. All shimming entails is placing one of the 8 washers on the shaft behind the impeller and checking to see that you have 1/32" spacing between the impeller and liner. Add washers behind as needed to maintain this gap.

I was a bit afraid the first time I did it too... but compared to spending $150 to have it done at the shop... I was more afraid of draining my bank account.

You can do it! Tup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks I will give it a go as soon as the lower C closes for springers. I will revisit and report on my first attempt. Gotto go takin a few guys gator hunting in the AM O-dark early

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mission acomplished Tup: . After coming back from gator huntin I decided to go ahead and take the plunge. Actually it was a must I had the GPS with me and noted that my top speed had decreased by 8mph and this was with lighter guys in the boat.

Any way the job wasn't that hard I guess 25 years in metal fabrication paid off, I was most worried about the wrenching and shimming. I did have to shim and ended up with .028 on the blade that had the biggest gap.

Thanks for all your help, BTW one gator in my boat and my buddies boat was skunked.

Bigkat

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I had a stainless impeller in my 90/65 2 stroke jet...
Both impellers had good sharp blades, and tight gaps...But that stainless had a way better/quicker hole shot for me and seemed to get me a little more speed.

I have a 4 blade stainless now on my big ol 200hp...vroom vrrrooom fast :mrgreen:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KingFisher85 said:
I had a stainless impeller in my 90/65 2 stroke jet...
Both impellers had good sharp blades, and tight gaps...But that stainless had a way better/quicker hole shot for me and seemed to get me a little more speed.

I have a 4 blade stainless now on my big ol 200hp...vroom vrrrooom fast :mrgreen:
OK back to my original question. Who makes 4 blade SS impellars ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I contacted outboard jets the mfgr of my jet pump. They gave me the part number for a SS impeller #1756 $375.00 and informed me that if I wanted a 4 blade ss impellar to contact Wooldridge Boats. I contacted Wooldridge and they have it in stock $427.00 and $49.00 for the liner. Not ready to pullthe trigger yet later this summer more than likley.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts