Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the old forum, but here goes again. Anybody been chasin the squid out in Puget Sound?

Buddy went to Edmonds for 45 minutes until he got cold and decided to bail...6 squid there. I went downtown Seattle a couple weeks ago and it was more or less dead there.

Anybody having any luck? What happened to the squid this year? Last year wasn't very good either, but the year before that was excellent.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Cornfed said:
What happened to the squid this year? Last year wasn't very good either, but the year before that was excellent.
I think you said it all, dead this year, slow last year, and I can tell you exactly why. Because I decided to start squidding again! Got my battery/light set up, custom made a ton of way cool jigs, got me a super custom jiggin' rod, got the warm clothes, bookmarked the online tide tables.prayed to the almighty cephalapod gods, so naturally the squidding went bust. You guys better hope I don't start gearing up for steelhead and mess that fishery up too!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Same here Traut! Man, Ten years ago squidding seemed easy most times. I have tried about 8 times this year I think I have caught 4 squid... It seems the times I am there the only ones that are catching them are casting... I know its been better at some times but its been slow every time I went. Mostly at Redondo and Des Moines.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Junior and I drove down to Edmonds pier the other night and there was less than 10 on the dock. We were planning to start squishing this year but one of the old timers said it s not gonna be worth it this year?

I dont get it. where would squid possibly go?

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
SportJet said:
Well, here's a theory - It's been well publicized that the herring stocks in Puget Sound have been way down for quite some time, but especially the last few years. Could it be that what salmon are left in the Sound have started eating more squid than they used to?

Probably not. More likely a long term cycle has just rotated around to a slow spot. Like all the Mariner, Sonics, and Seahawks fans always say "Wait 'til next year"! :lol:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am going to try it on the 26th from the gig harbor area. Does anybody know if it would be better to go to tacoma or to port orchard or bremerton? I will post if I have any luck.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
TRAUT said:
SportJet said:
Well, here's a theory - It's been well publicized that the herring stocks in Puget Sound have been way down for quite some time, but especially the last few years. Could it be that what salmon are left in the Sound have started eating more squid than they used to?

Probably not. More likely a long term cycle has just rotated around to a slow spot. Like all the Mariner, Sonics, and Seahawks fans always say "Wait 'til next year"! :lol:
herring stocks arnt down. how can you determine that?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
herring price and widspread rumor/truth. When I go to buy herring, they tell me that it is expensive because stocks are down. On another forum, a guy was making a special trip to Canada to buy boxes upon boxes of herring for him and his buddies. Stocks have to be down for price to go up. Its not like the demand went up.

Have you been seeing a lot of herring in the sound? Is that why you think stocks aren't down?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
ya i catch herring commercialy this was our best year for herring. last year was a fluke but all the years before that have been real good also. next year should be productive also

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Herring stocks are down, and have been going down for many years...there has been talk about ending the herring roe fisheries, and curtailing the herring fisheries, as well. There have even been suggestions that NOAA-F look at Puget Sound herring stocks as a candidate for listing under the ESA.

Here's a quick note from today's Holiday Market newsletter...

Puget Sound Herring Sales has now unofficially quit fishing for the year. They made several trips out for herring and didn’t find any decent numbers of fish. This means that our current stock of winter caught fish will be the main supply of Puget Sound Herring available for this coming year. We still have a decent stock on hand but if sales are anything like in recent years, there will be a shortage of blues and possibly greens this spring/summer. Up north, we have heard that the Canadian bait companies are only able to find small bait. This means that people are going to be searching for blues.

Fish on...

Todd

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
i am not talking roe i mean bait herring. "puget sound herring sales" is a boat in the harbor just like us and they where the low boat this year. our boat had the best season this year and was agian high boat for the fith year. we caught tons and tons of reds, greens and blues along with some purples and blacks. why people say this is weird because the people of puget sound herring sales did not even go out fishing as half as much as we did and when the did go out they didnt really work. theres lots of herring this year and this is the time where herring go away and scatter to either deep water or somewhere. theres no excuse to say that herring sales are down becasue in reality theres only one boat working hard and catching fish and thats my boat that i work on.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Scientists Mystified By Herring Decline http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/InNews/herring2005.html

From WDFW's Herring Stock Assessment:

"For the 2003-04 period, 50% of Puget Sound herring stocks are classified as healthy or
moderately healthy. This is the lowest percentage of stocks meeting these criteria since
development of the stock status summary in 1994; following 71% and 83% of stocks considered
healthy or moderately healthy in 2000 and 2002, respectively. One stock, N.W. San Juan Island,
was also added to the critical list in 2004.
Regionally, south/central Puget Sound stocks have maintained a healthy stock status since the
first evaluation in 1994. Conversely, north Puget Sound’s combined status has moved from
healthy in 1994, to moderately healthy in 1996, and depressed since 1998; largely due to the
decrease in spawning biomass for the Cherry Point stock. The Strait of Juan de Fuca region’s
status has been consistently classified as critical since 1994, primarily due to the condition of the
Discovery Bay stock, which has remained at a very low level of abundance."

http://www.psat.wa.gov/Publications/psh ... erring.htm

There are 18 known stocks of herring in Puget Sound; seven are not faring well, ten are at least moderately healthy and one is in unknown condition.

The status of herring stocks in Puget Sound is worse than previously reported. The number of stocks in the depressed and critical categories more than tripled between 1994 and 1998. Herring stocks in the north Sound and the Strait of Juan de Fuca have fared worse than stocks that spawn in central and south Puget Sound.

Following a status review begun in 1999, the National Marine Fisheries Service may propose to list Puget Sound Pacific herring as threatened or endangered under the federal Endangered Species Act.

Marine life is disappearing from Puget Sound, and fast
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/specials/ ... sert09.asp

Recent studies show that Puget Sound's herring -- a key link in the food chain -- contain higher contamination levels than those in Europe's highly polluted Baltic Sea. In May, leading federal and state scientists reported that the "food web of Puget Sound appears to be more seriously contaminated than previously anticipated."

Analysis of the Decline of Puget SoundPacific Herring Stocks: Toxics,Urbanization, Climate Change or Disease?

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~ietc/Landisherring.pdf.

The Cherry Point spawning population, in particular, has suffered drastic and severe population declines, and that population was, at stable levels, by far the largest and most productive stock in the entire Georgia Basin/Puget Sound region.

Lots of different reasons are out there for the declines, but like most fish species in trouble around here, it's probably a complex combination of PDO cycles, commercial overharvest, pollution, and habitat destruction. The above links are only a tiny bit of the information out there, should anyone care to read it...just Google up "Puget Sound Herring" and you'll find all you could ever want.

All that being said...squid fishing in the Seattle area was pretty grim last year, and way worse this year...but Elliott Bay in particular has been pretty murky most of the season due to muddy water coming down the Duwamish, and murky water in Elliott Bay equals crappy squidding downtown and at Shilshole...

Fish on...

Todd

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
It sounds like they're being caught out on the Kitsap Peninsula, so I'm hoping that they are here, but just aren't really biting due to the murky water...I definitely do my best when it is gin clear, and it's been far from that all winter...I haven't been out once, but haven't heard one good local report, either.

Fish on...

Todd

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
ya but i decided i am going to tone it down a little and i just kinda caught myself there. i am on here mainly for sportfishing reasons only wink:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am finally able to post on the 26th squidding. I went to port orchard and we caught a total of 16 squid in about 4 hours. I would guess that is not too great. We did get enough to eat a great dinner though! Tup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts