Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this will bring up quite a few diverse answers, but I need to know what casting rod would be best suited for float fishing springers. This will be my first year bobber fishing for them. I will be using braided line and a Abu 6500 reel.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
dont know what your price range is. for $200 the best possibly rod you can get is the lami, certi pro bill herzog edition. 10' 8-17. and its not only a float rod, but works great for everything drifting, spoons, what have you. its got sensitivity for light biters when drift fishing. but its got enough meat to turn those big ol' springers around. There are several others on this site that im sure will back you up. Thats what i would do, but you can do what ya want. lol. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
328 Posts
G-Loomis HSR1023C, I believe they are around $220. I used it on the North Umpqua in Oregon bobber fishing for spirngers when I lived down there. Great rod for a bobber fishing and all around salmon fishing. Fast action tip with a backbone to turn those fish around.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I can say What not to do , Don't use a 8'6" Rod , My hook ups went up considerably when I went to my 10' downrigger rod wich is a 12 to 20 line wieght , A long rod with a back bone helps to get more slack out of the line when setting the hook , Personally brand name isn't my gig , I have a 10 to 20 line wieght that works , But that line wieght is a little stiff for bouncing eggs for steel head , so I have a St croix 6 to 10 line wieght for steel head
don't worry pretty soon your basement will have a number of rods , Just give in and buy ,

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
With the float rod you don't need anything too sensitive, but the length is usually a must. Something in the 10 foot range is great, a berkley air IM7, cabelas fish eagle II or a shimano convergence would all work. The more expensive rods are nice because they are lighter so if you're fishing all day that may be something to consider and look into the st. croix, cabelas xml, lamiglass or loomis rods.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My max budget would be right in the 200-250 range for a rod. I really do need something that is light. I have some shoulder damage that really gets to me after a couple of hours of fishing. I float fish for steelhead on a regular basis but I have never put this method to use on Kings yet. So once again any opinions on a light rod(weight wise) and model# if you have it for bobber fishing springers would be greatly appreciated. This is why this site rocks, we don't have to turn this into a ford vs chevy topic. ;) Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Steeleywhopper said:
My max budget would be right in the 200-250 range for a rod. I really do need something that is light. I have some shoulder damage that really gets to me after a couple of hours of fishing. I float fish for steelhead on a regular basis but I have never put this method to use on Kings yet. So once again any opinions on a light rod(weight wise) and model# if you have it for bobber fishing springers would be greatly appreciated. This is why this site rocks, we don't have to turn this into a ford vs chevy topic. ;) Thanks again for the help.
well then the Herzog would probably be a good choice. They usually have them at Sportsmans and Joes.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
when buying a bobber stick, you don't need to spend a ton. i use a shimano convergence 10' 8-17 rod. it has a slow, soft action that will protect those wet, sloppy eggs that the springers like so much. they only run about $60 and have a lifetime warranty. the 10-20 cabela's fish eagle II is another good choice, but i like the long foregrip on the shimano, since i like to hold on with two hands.

the 10', 8-17 bill herzog lami is a nice rod(i have one) but i don't like the action for bobber fishing with eggs. it's too fast and tends to beat them up, i've always worried about busting the tip. one rod that i don't hear about much, but would make an excellent bobber/spoon/heavy drift rod is the lami X10MHC. it's basically the 8-17, but with some of the butt removed and put into the tip, with a much more parabolic action.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Any 1264 loaded with powerpro on a smooth baitcaster. Mine happens to be a new Rainshadow RX8 with an older 201 Curado SF loaded with 30lb PP. Also works flawlessly for big nates right now wink:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Just one other option to look at. Very light, Moderate action and the most apealing rod to the eye with blue inserts on the guides. I own one and like it very much. I also use it for mooching for kings and coho. Works great.

You can pick them up typically for a little less than MSRP at OE and a few other stores.

CPX101C2 10' Rated for 10-20

http://www.redington.com/prod.php?k=501 ... 8018&u=CPX

SCARBOO

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I've fished the Cabelas Fish Eagle 2 rod for almost everything. Heck, this weekend I used it in a downrigger and it was perfect. I float fished it last year for springers and had no problem handling them. I use the 10' 8-15# Fish Eagle 2 with a Citica and 30# power pro. I even used that rod in December for the Nisqually chums, it may have been a little light for them, but still able to handle it. I just purchased the 10' Certified Pro 8-17# Bill Herzog and that will be my rod for everything except floats for steelhead and the downrigger.

As for light weight, not sure, but money may have something to do with that. I think my certified pro is lighter than the fish eagle, but it also cost $130 more. Those fish eagles really are a good deal at $70 or $80. I know they come in a 8-15# and a 10-20#. If this rod is just going to be a float rod for bigger salmon, then sensitivity doesn't really matter. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
srchn4salmon said:
I've fished the Cabelas Fish Eagle 2 rod for almost everything. Heck, this weekend I used it in a downrigger and it was perfect. I float fished it last year for springers and had no problem handling them. I use the 10' 8-15# Fish Eagle 2 with a Citica and 30# power pro. I even used that rod in December for the Nisqually chums, it may have been a little light for them, but still able to handle it. I just purchased the 10' Certified Pro 8-17# Bill Herzog and that will be my rod for everything except floats for steelhead and the downrigger.

As for light weight, not sure, but money may have something to do with that. I think my certified pro is lighter than the fish eagle, but it also cost $130 more. Those fish eagles really are a good deal at $70 or $80. I know they come in a 8-15# and a 10-20#. If this rod is just going to be a float rod for bigger salmon, then sensitivity doesn't really matter. Good luck.
The Fish Eagles are currently on sale on the Cabelas website for $39. The 10' 8-15# (2-piece) are sold out, but the 10' 10-20# are still in stock. The 3-piece 10' 8-15# are still in stock. If I didn't have too many rods already, I'd be tempted to get one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts