Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else got the symptoms?

took a pill yesterday by fishing Lake Washington, see Reports forum for results. Might head to the Cowlitz for Wednesday.

But this time of year, since 2001, the springers have been calling. They still are calling but can't go fishing unless want to travel to Portland and fish upriver of I-5! Gas roundtrip for vehicle/towing sled would be over $160.00!! Too far for 2 days fishing. And tonight, I get an email from a Vancouver buddy who took 2 fish upstream of Government island trolling herring. Oh, to be fishing the lower Big C...cathlamet, stella, longview-rainer, kalama....

Bonneville dam counts? Phooey, don't mean nothing except when dam counts are high, fish have moved thru the lower Big C areas. The guides should clean up in that Drano thing called a "sports fishery". Best of luck to 'em. Tup:

fever just went up a couple degrees!

·
Registered
712 Posts
mavsled said:
anyone else got the symptoms?

took a pill yesterday by fishing Lake Washington, see Reports forum for results. Might head to the Cowlitz for Wednesday.

But this time of year, since 2001, the springers have been calling. They still are calling but can't go fishing unless want to travel to Portland and fish upriver of I-5! Gas roundtrip for vehicle/towing sled would be over $160.00!! Too far for 2 days fishing. And tonight, I get an email from a Vancouver buddy who took 2 fish upstream of Government island trolling herring. Oh, to be fishing the lower Big C...cathlamet, stella, longview-rainer, kalama....

Bonneville dam counts? Phooey, don't mean nothing except when dam counts are high, fish have moved thru the lower Big C areas. The guides should clean up in that Drano thing called a "sports fishery". Best of luck to 'em. Tup:

fever just went up a couple degrees!
LOL, Been there done that.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Just a report... Tup:

The area we fished today on the Columbia must of only had 8 boats....We know of 12 springers includin ours that where taken in this little spot on the Columbia today.

Reports up and down the big C, you work hard, and know a thing about fishing, you will catch one or two. Lots of my buddys have taken limits these last two days. I had to get out today after yesterdays report and have fresh springer for dinner tonight.

Way better, I mean WAY better fishing now then this time last year.

Please, wait till April to fish the big C... :D

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no choice, have to wait until March 24 to fish downriver of I-5 on the LOWER Big C and then its just a 12 day shot. I guess better than no springer season at all downriver of I-5 or Hayden power lines. I-5 has always been my cut off point for traveling to fish springers.

good report kingfisher85, thats the good stuff that just adds to the fever. Have to shift focus to tribs after early April closure on lower Big C.

I have a few good "little spots" on the lower Big C & tribs....alongside everyone else wink:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I got the itch too...as a matter of fact, I'll be on the water this Saturday. I'd like to add a few punchs the card early this year.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
For us Puget Sounders fishing the Big C is going to be expensive this year. Salmon or Shad its going to be expensive. Not flying solo by partnering up will make the fishing fix more affordable.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I need some kind of outdoor fix. Spent the last few days behaving myself. Now its time to fish. I hear ya on the fuel. Its killing me. Trips on the road seem to average around 300 bucks when ya throw in the room. I am going to head down there to fish the big water for springers. I say that every year then get sidetracked fishing, or shooting somewere else. I'm geared up...so I have no excuse.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've heard of Drano for years and never done it. I decided to bite the bullet and go this year, partly because this may be the last time I can afford the gas to go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Camping spot reserved, boat cleaned and ready, tackle in the living room waiting to get loaded.
Reading about the fish being caught and hope there will be plenty when we get down there.
With a 1 fish limit we'll have to look for something else to do after we get our 2 fish.
Wait, there's sturgeon to sit on the hook and fish for. Yea, that's the ticket.
Springer Fever - nothing like it!

·
Registered
520 Posts
i too have had the bug. this weekend i gathered all my springer gear took inventory and made a to buy list and packed a few boxes. got camper all cleaned out and sorted eggs by cure and date. pretty pathetic i know but its all i can do until its go time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Everything is ready, boat, rods, leaders, and the trailer is down at Cathlamet. Cathlamet is one of the best fish camps. The only way I know how to make a picture fit is to crop it. How do you minimize the picture without cropping it? Plus, I did not want my buddy to forever be remembered as Stupid. Good times.

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
I just booked res for the last weekend in March at Skamokawa ( with a prop boat if you have any advice or warnings too) . If you see my wooldridge there be sure to say hi. I'll give you my call ID and let you know how the fishing is too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'll be at Cathlamet the 1st week of April. Also would like any advice on my prop boat down there. Deep enough water???

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'll be at Cathlamet on Monday. As far as prop or any other boat, just be careful to watch the navigational markers and don't cut any corners. It can get a bit shallow around Tenasille Island. I've seen a few boats stranded, waiting for the high tide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts