Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I would like to give kudos to all the fine folks working there butts off at the show. I was there for only a few hours. Most exhibitors are on there feet all day for 5 days! Hats off my friends. Tup:

As for the show, Well I promised Hook I would not put up a negative post as per my last few years reports. So promise kept.

Truthfully the show was fun. If you have been there before its really just the same minus a few more exhibit and sponsers each year as the show seems to get smaller. If your looking for a guide to hire they are there and the show offers great information and choices.

If your interested in looing at rods, reels and new stuff. The reps are there from most major manufacture companys and doing a great job. Some even give samples. Saw some great new rods at the St Croix booth and Quantam booth is offering some great deals on walkaway reels and stuff. Great new downriggers offered at breakthru low prices by Cannon and other neat stuff. Worth it for the price of admission.

The only lacking thing to me is the continued downward offerings of great tackle and deals from the tackle stores. In years past you could count on each store like OE, Duffle bag, Auburn sports ect to have some great discounted items. Well with the costs involved in even being at this show and with all the internet sales. The offerings just are not as plentiful for bargain hunters like me :( .

In fact, Regretfully one of the great stores of past shows, DUFFLE BAG is now closed down and so the show is down to just OE, Auburn sports and one other store that is only selling off its inventory and is also closed down.

Auburn sports has a heck of a deal with buy 2 octagon wire crab pots for just $19.99
There are some good flasher and other deals too. Just not alot.

So the show is fun, worth it and really a good time for all. Just dont go expecting to fill up your trunk on good buys.

The steelhead river expo and classes are awesome! Neat watcthing the steelhead in the river setup.

As for fellow Gamefishers, I hung out (probably drove nuts wink: ) Dr.Hook at the Cannon booth today. Also finally met DBAppraiser (Good guy Tup: ) and Zman (another good guy). I talked to Phil (mystical Legend) a true gentleman, and Matt Mr.Quantam was there in style as well. Said hi to Keysrob and Netboy ( Man Brent, You look great!)

Suprised not that big a crowd today!

So take the family and go have a good time. Its a good show and its warm clap:

ICE.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Ice, it was good to see you today. I can't believe we didn't see you again. We looked for you, but we must have been going opposite directions.

I had a good time as ussual at the show. I met a fellow GFer at the show to buy a Lami from him. It was a great rod at a great price. THANKS!

The best find I got was the pink spining rod with lighted reel for my 7 year old daughter. I was dad of the year when I brought that home tonight!! She was thrilled and can't wait to get out there and catch fish with it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I thought the show was nice but I went down to get a deal on a fishing net because my last on went over the side.
I only saw two nets there and they were not for sale... Like Ice there are less deals.
Don't pass up the show there is a lot to see... Tup:

Mike

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Good report Gupper but I think I am going to wait for Monroe this year. I have some fairly specific things that I am looking for and they be there so I dont have to go south this time.

I didnt know that the Duffle Bag went kaput. Dang I always bought my Izor from them at the show for dirt cheap :?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I liked the show! The guys at over the edge tackle gave great jig making tips. The show was a bit lite on tackle. If you are looking for a rod or reel it is a must. I think St Croix and Loomis had everyone of their rods their. All the main players in the reel game were on hand. I went by the St Croix booth and said hi to Phil and Hook. Over all I give the show two thumbs up !

·
Registered
379 Posts
I too was there today, got there about 1pm and stayed until about 7:45 pm. I was in the main pavilian where the fishing talkle was for the first 4 hours or so. Enjoyed meeting Dr Hook and Nettab today and also met some other members too. This was the first time in a long time I was there by myself and it was nice because I was able to take my time and enjoy it and spend time just talking to people. Was not crowded at all which was awesome, I hate crowds.. I agree that it was light on tackle somewhat, but they do have a good deal on Gamma line. Buy 2 spools and go to the gamma booth and get a third one free. So for 9 bucks I got 3 spools of line. I always enjoy going to the shows so I have to say it was a good time. If you have gone every year for the past 12 or so as I have then you pretty much know what to expect, but I still look forward to going each year.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
netboy said:
Ice, it was good to see you today. I can't believe we didn't see you again. We looked for you, but we must have been going opposite directions.

I had a good time as ussual at the show. I met a fellow GFer at the show to buy a Lami from him. It was a great rod at a great price. THANKS!

The best find I got was the pink spining rod with lighted reel for my 7 year old daughter. I was dad of the year when I brought that home tonight!! She was thrilled and can't wait to get out there and catch fish with it.
Nice to see you guys as well. I did not want to infringe so I just looked around and bothered Hook alittle more then went home. Was nice of my wife to let me go, not done much lately. Good show today! Maybe see you guys at Monroe.
Also congrats to you and your wife.

God Bless
Tod

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I got to attend the show today midweek and alone for the fist time in my life and it was great. Met Iceshark in person and he is just as full of crap as he is on the 'net. :D Met Dr Hook too but he isn't full of crap. Also was introduced to Zman. As for the show, I really enjoyed the Lowrance seminar and I learned quite a bit about how to use the electronics more effectively and what I had been doing wrong. Hopefully it helps, can't hurt. There is lots of guides and outfitters represented there and several manufacturers too. It seems to me that the amount of retail stuff has shrunk a little but there is still plenty to see. I always enjoy looking at the boats and motors and the campers. I wish I had had more time as there was a beginners archery turkey hunting seminar at 4:30pm but I couldn't stay that long. All in all it was a good way to kill 3 hours.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
DBAppraiser said:
I got to attend the show today midweek and alone for the fist time in my life and it was great. Met Iceshark in person and he is just as full of crap as he is on the 'net. :D Met Dr Hook too but he isn't full of crap. Also was introduced to Zman. As for the show, I really enjoyed the Lowrance seminar and I learned quite a bit about how to use the electronics more effectively and what I had been doing wrong. Hopefully it helps, can't hurt. There is lots of guides and outfitters represented there and several manufacturers too. It seems to me that the amount of retail stuff has shrunk a little but there is still plenty to see. I always enjoy looking at the boats and motors and the campers. I wish I had had more time as there was a beginners archery turkey hunting seminar at 4:30pm but I couldn't stay that long. All in all it was a good way to kill 3 hours.
LMAO.

Put a few drinks in both of them ... you will see they are full of crap :mrgreen:

Gotta love em both though Tup:

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We need to get a Gamefishin derby or something toghether this year. We can get drunk and fish. The last one was great a couple years back.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Thanks Guppy! We're pretty excited!

I think I will hit the Monroe show and try to take my daugher. Her life jacket is getting a bit small and I think they are doing the life jacket give away up there. It's also good to keep her interested in fishing and hunting.

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
Iceshark said:
We need to get a Gamefishin derby or something toghether this year. We can get drunk and fish. The last one was great a couple years back.
Mark your calender for March 13th! I won't say why yet but just mark your calender. You probably won't show up anyway. :lol: wink:

DBA ~ That cracked me up! It was good seeing all of you today! Getting the chance to meet everyone is what I enjoy the most from these shows. Tup:

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I was there for a couple of hours right after lunch. Talked to Hook for a while. Oh by the way Bruce I don't buy the excuse that you gave for the size of your pot belly! I'm certain that Avis doesn't either!!

I didn't spend a dime other than admission. I may still have Hook get me a St Croix fly rod.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I made my rounds Wednesday evening too. Ice summed it up pretty good. I did stop and talk to Phil for a second but he had a guy stop in looking for a specific rod. Phil, sorry I disappeared. I turned around and my son and brother-in-law had taken off so I went to track them down. I was going to stop and talk to Matt at the Quantum booth, but he had a large group in front of him. I didn't drop a dime either except at the NRA booth. Had to enter to win the 3 XD's Tup: It seems to get smaller and smaller every year.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Last year I was drifting down the nooch around this time. My phone only works below the diversion dam, and up river for a little spot just below crossover were all the bankies fish. I got a message there, and it was from my bank saying I had multiple charges on my debit card the last few days, and they were going to cancel it if I did not call right away. I called , and called, and kept loosing service. I was thinking...how did someone get my debit card #. Who's using my friggin card! I finally got through to the bank. They started going threw the charges. Duffle Bag...St Croix...etc,etc. I just spent the last couple days at the sportsmans show. What a space out!
I'm going today...

·
Registered
360 Posts
I met a couple of GameFishin guys last night working the CCA booth… (we are out in the back of the EXPO building)… I will be shopping the show today… and then working again on Saturday (probably)…

It is great to see the support for CCA that is being shown at the show… it was a pretty good sign-up night and with more people at the show as the week goes on I think it will just get better!

Good chance to sign-up if you haven’t!!

Shawn

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
gear addict said:
They started going threw the charges. Duffle Bag...St Croix...etc,etc. I just spent the last couple days at the sportsmans show. What a space out!
I don't see how that is even possible. St Croix is not a retailer and does not sell at their booth and they never have. All St Croix rods sold at the show are sold through a retailer at the show. I'm sorry but unless you can prove otherwise, I'm calling this a total BS and you need to get some facts straight before you start accusing. Or.. maybe I'm mis-understanding your post, I hope thats the case.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Ya you did Hook! I forget the name of the retailer, so I just said st. croix. Ask Swanny, or I'll dig out the reciept if you want to nit pic. The whole thing was just poking fun about me forgetting were all the charges on my debit card came from. I did'nt even think I could possibly ruffle any feathers...but I see how things can get mixed up if one does not totally explain himself. What a space out... is a key sentence in my post that might help ya figue it out

1 - 20 of 36 Posts