Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be picking up a spoon rod and curado in the next month and am curious what weight rod to get.
I got my eye on the Herzog rod wich is available in 8-12 and 8-17. Im thinking the 8-12 will be better for me for fishing the Sky, Skagit, exc. I also plane to do some OP bank fishing next year, is the 8-12 ok for the bigger steelies and salmon over there? I dont see why i would want the 8-17. Any thought from you spoon fisherman would be helpfull, Thanks...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have the Herzog 8-17...Great rod. I use it for drift fishing, float fishing, and casting heavier spoons..3/8 and larger. It is heavy enough for kings but still very light and sensitive. I'm going to get another one soon. I just put a Curado 301 on mine.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
If you are planning on fishing for native winter runs, definitely get the 8-17 rod, and get a Curado 300/301...fill it up with 15# mono.

Fish on...

Todd

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I am in love with my 8-17 Herzog, its a very nice rod to fish. Actually I use it for almost everything.

It is also an excellent spoon rod Mayfly. You will enjoy the backbone on big fish.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK you guys talked me into it, the 8-17 it is. Im ordering up some BC Steel spoons this week, im thinking 5 50/50 in 2/5th oz 2 silver and 2 gold in 2/5 and a few 1/2 nickle. That should cover most conditions dont you think?

Thanks guys, and Merry X mas.

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
St Croix AVC90MHF2 9' 8-17LB 3/8 - 1 oz with Curado 300/301

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Ya, sounds good Aaron, thats about what I carry usually. I like to have all of those along with a few brass 1/2 oz hammered teardrops as well for a little darker water in the winter. The teardrop spoons and the Cleo style all have their place in certain situations, you will learn as u go what works best in your streams.

Id look at Rvrfshr too, if not the spoons then at least get some of the sickle siwash hooks to put on the back of them babies.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dr Hook said:
I must look at those, I here so much about them. Mite just be time for my first St Croix :)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Red Neckersom said:
Ya, sounds good Aaron, thats about what I carry usually. I like to have all of those along with a few brass 1/2 oz hammered teardrops as well for a little darker water in the winter. The teardrop spoons and the Cleo style all have their place in certain situations, you will learn as u go what works best in your streams.

Id look at Rvrfshr too, if not the spoons then at least get some of the sickle siwash hooks to put on the back of them babies.
I gotta pick up some teardrops as well. I was looking at the Rvrfshr at 3 Rivers, I think Herzog was talking about those hooks being the bees knees.. Thay look sweet.

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
mayfly0013 said:
Dr Hook said:
I must look at those, I here so much about them. Mite just be time for my first St Croix :)
Thats the exact rod I use and I love it and now with their new warranty you can't go wrong!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dr Hook said:
mayfly0013 said:
Dr Hook said:
Thats the exact rod I use and I love it and now with their new warranty you can't go wrong!
Cant beat that kinda warranty, that mite have just sold me on it Tup:

·
Banned
733 Posts
You cant go wrong with the herzog rod! I dont personally have one but wouldnt mind one Tup: I have a lami 8-12lb and i do just fine with nates and hatchery fish. As for spoons i would give the RVRFSHRS a try. I used to fish bc's but i noticed that the RVRFSHRS are just as good. I like them for the customer service , almost always next day delivery and Joe is just a good guy to do buisness with. Keep it local Tup: Sickles are the way to go IMO I will never use a normal siwash again. Especially for nates! Let me know if you want to get out with the spoon rods one day, Seems like we fish the same stream regularly so wont be to hard to meet up :D
Omar

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Big O said:
You cant go wrong with the herzog rod! I dont personally have one but wouldnt mind one Tup: I have a lami 8-12lb and i do just fine with nates and hatchery fish. As for spoons i would give the RVRFSHRS a try. I used to fish bc's but i noticed that the RVRFSHRS are just as good. I like them for the customer service , almost always next day delivery and Joe is just a good guy to do buisness with. Keep it local Tup: Sickles are the way to go IMO I will never use a normal siwash again. Especially for nates! Let me know if you want to get out with the spoon rods one day, Seems like we fish the same stream regularly so wont be to hard to meet up :D
Omar
Sounds good Tup:

·
Registered
377 Posts
IMO You do not need to buy another rod for spoons. I just use my drifting rod, and it works just fine. Saves a few hundred bucks also, but if you've got the money to spend the Herzog is hard to beat.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Funny you should mention this. For Christmas I'm getting a certified pro herzog 10' 8-12lb for spoons and such. But, sort of like spareoar said, I too have used Lami 8'6" drift rods for spoons and did well enough. But the 10' CP should be even more fun.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
BC spoons are pretty dang nice. Just remember they don't come with anything. I rigged all mine with RVRFSHR sickle siwashes. I opted for the 2/3 oz and mainly use those just for driftmending since they are so heavy. I picked up the 2/5 oz from Joe. To date, I have never lost a fish on a sickle siwash. Spoon or spinner. That's why all my hardware is rigged with them.

·
Banned
733 Posts
mitch184 said:
BC spoons are pretty dang nice. Just remember they don't come with anything. I rigged all mine with RVRFSHR sickle siwashes. I opted for the 2/3 oz and mainly use those just for driftmending since they are so heavy. I picked up the 2/5 oz from Joe. To date, I have never lost a fish on a sickle siwash. Spoon or spinner. That's why all my hardware is rigged with them.
I bet you have yet to date bent one of those hooks as well wink:

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
I'd go with the St. Criox Mayfly. Very nice set up. From viewing all your posts on successful trips out to the river, you could probably get fish with a stick with string and a bottle cap with a hook on it! :lol:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts