Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at making some wedding ring spinners and it calls for using leader material vs taking line of a spool. My questions is are they the same or is their an advantage to using leader material for making these lures.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Usually the same. Sometimes there's a difference, but usually not. Save money and use that last bit of line you've got left over after filling your spool. Of course, make sure its not old. Spending a couple more dollars for fresh line is better than using old line just for the sake of using it up. Those leader spools are more convenient to carry around, sometimes, but they definitely are much much more expensive than the 300yd spools.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I buy my leader and line in bulk, I keep my empty filler spools and fill them with bulk line from the tackle shop. Much cheaper!

27 yds. of #10 maxima UG = about $3 to $4
150 yds of same line in bulk = about $5

Always buy in bulk, that way your not stuck paying for all the packaging, your line is fresher, Cheaper, and your re-using the filler spools.

Jig'n

·
Registered
867 Posts
The leader material is usually stiffer but more abrasion resistant. Other then that ususally the same. If you fish is areas where you're leader takes a beating then the "leader material" might be worth it, otherwise spool line is fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts