Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home from the game and let me tell ya IT WAS A STINKER!!!! It got so bad that even Kobe looked at the scoreboard and said " Hey we are up by 30 I'm outa here!" when was the last time he got T'd up twice like that? All i can say is this, Its time for PJ to go! Listen to me this time WEBO he has to go!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
I don't really like PJ either, but he does have a team lacking talant. Look at the starting lineup and ask yourself, 'would any of these guys be starters on another team?' It is a work in progress and time will only tell if the front office and PJ know what they're doing. I believe our new GM is taking the right direction toward the future though, but I'm concerned he's cutting salaries to appeal toward Bennett and his group until something breaks with the move or sell while the Sonics are still here.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Big Worm, you hit the nail right on the head. Clay dumped salary and stocked up on draft picks at the dead line in order to take expenditures off of the books. No one could be successful coaching this bunch, there just isn't enough talent on the roster and this is what it looks like when you completely strip down a team and start rebuilding it. I just hope the Sonics are here in 3 years so we can enjoy the end result.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Sonics will be able to sign a big name or two via free agency and get some good players in the next few drafts. Like DB said, this team can be like Portland is now in a couple years. Only getting better each year

but if they are in Oklahoma City, that wont really appeal to me as much lol

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Sorry JoJo, DB and the Worm have it right and I think PJ is doing the absolute BEST that he can with what he has to work with. Plus, who else is there? Who would you get?

The season is essentially OVER for the Sonics and has been for a long time. Right now PJ is evaluating players and if last night's game is a portal into the future, Michale Gelabale has a bright one and will be a valuable asset to the team in the future.

The not-so-bright spot for me is Kevin Durant. He came to the NBA WAAAYYYY too early, IMO and is definitely NOT living up to the hype.
Jeff Green has great athletic ability, but he appears to be a slow learner. He can't figure out how to go to the hole without clobbering the defender and getting the charge call. He ALWAYS dribbles into trouble and can't seem to make good decisions under pressure.

Will time and experience help Durant and Green? Maybe? Maybe not though...

Weezy STILL hasn't developed the soft touch around the rim and is a dunk monkey at best.

Petro has his moments, but I still see more energy than talent there.

Ridnour just doesn't seem to be able to get it all together? It's gotta be the backing up Earl thing? Speaking of Earl... anybody know how long his contract is with the Sonics? He appears to be playing for a future big contract with another team?

Elson, Griffin, Marshall and the other guy are just bench-warmers and the sooner we dump 'em the better.

If the Sonics DO stay a couple more years, I hope Presti drafts and trades for the things the team needs in the semi short-term. I'd HATE to wait 5 years for the next winning season. Tdown:

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find it hard to believe that you guys think that PJ is the best we can do! There are TONS of young coaches out there on NBA benches that could manage and coach the talent that the Sonics have. The bottom line is this they are not going to have a winning season, not going to make the playoffs,and not going to shop for real long term talent ( for now that is ) so why not make a change? Could we do any worse? I am a huge supporter of Jack Sikma. Why not turn the team over to him and see what happens? What could it hurt? I am literaly pulling my hair out night after night. I am a life long Sonics fan and will remain one with what ever happens. Vote for Jack Tup:

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I'd take Jack... but I don't think he WANTS a head coaching job. I think he likes working with and developing young centers and power forwards as an assistant instead. PJ has a TON of basketball knowledge and he spent the last 5 years soaking up even more under Gregg Popovich in San Antonio.

I start thinking about coaching changes when you've got a roster full of experienced talent that still isn't winning... like with Bob Hill last year, New York under Isiah or the Heat under Riley.

Let's give PJ at least another season to see what he can come up with. After that... he's outta here! Tup:

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Okay JoJo, what makes you think that Jack Sikma has the ability to be a head coach, let alone coach this group of brick layers? Jack has been an assistant for a few years and before that he coached his son's high school team or club team, I don't remember which. The problem here isn't coaching, its talent. Durant will win the rookie of the year award but there isn't enough talent around him to be of much help. Ridnour has been ruined either by himself or the last three coaches. He hasn't been very consistent since McMillian left. Wilcox is a very limited offensive threat. Collison is a nice player but isn't starter quality. Petro has shown some flashes like his finger roll from the middle of the paint last night but he is still very young and very inconsistent. Gelleballe (sp) is also very young and suffers from confidence issues. Earl Watson can shoot you into a game and then 10 minutes later shoot you right out of one. The tall, white tattooed stiff just isn't going to make it. If the issue was that this team had good talent and was underperforming, then a coaching change would definitely be in order. However, this team is light years behind the other teams in the Western Conference in talent and neither Phil Jackson, Red Aurbach, or even John Wooden could make these guys competitive right now.

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
As I said above, I'm not a big fan of PJ. I think the players are a bit distant from him and this hurts his message he is trying to deliver. You could put the best coach in the game on this team and they'll do no better. Changing coaches doesn't make very good sense right now. What would the other coach have to offer on this thin talented team? I don't see investing too much into this current team since it will look different again in 6 months. Just hope for a top two pick in the draft and the team will be on track for a couple of free agent pick ups.

I hear ya webo about Durant and Green. I think Durant is another Rashard Lewis, but not the same exact one, rather the Lewis we hoped he should've became. Durant handles the defense pressure a bit better and has shown signs of driving to the basket. He'll come around, but will likely not be the leader the Sonics need. On the otherhand, Green has to try to get involved more on the defensive end blocking out and he seems disconnected on the offensive end too. Who knows what will ever become of him.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All i'm saying is what could it hurt? We are losing and losing bad! We cant run with anyone in the league right now so whats the damage in turning the team over to someone else at this time, that may have a different coaching scheme? Will we end up in the same place at the end of the season? Sometimes shake ups are the best things in these situations. Dont get me wrong I agree hole heartedly with you guys about the lacking talent that this team has. And PJ is not to blame for that, but it is painfully obvious that his coaching plan is not working. Am I the only one that thinks that? Why go out there night after night with the same game plan and get our [email protected]@ses handed to us! All that you get in return from that is players that lose confidence and have a no care attitude. We have all seen that before and IMO its happening now. What say you?

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
It ain't the game PLAN... it's the EXECUTION JoJo.

We're not THAT pathetic either! We beat Portland last Friday and Sacramento before that.

The Lakers are a newly energized, VERY deep team that, with the addition of Gasol are lookin' to take it all! You can't judge the whole Sonic season by last night's game with them!

The Sonics have only been blown out in a few games this year and most of their losses came at less than 10 points. I think this is attributable TO PJ's coaching. He knows how to make the adjustments... but it's up to the players to execute.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Dont get me wrong I agree hole heartedly with you guys about the lacking talent that this team has. And PJ is not to blame for that, but it is painfully obvious that his coaching plan is not working.
So am I to take from that statement that another coach would be successful with this group of players? What this says to me is that the talent isn't there but another plan could be successful with the talent we have.

At this stage of the game, the difference is talent and Webo is right. The Sonics have competed most every night. I haven't seen the players hanging their heads and quitting so that tells me that PJ still has their attention. Portland is in about year 4 of their rebuild and it is just starting to show results. They are a young jump shooting team that is great some nights and not so good on other nights but this shows that patience and consistency are the keys to building a team. Changing the coaching staff all the time is not going to bring consistency to the organization and it will slow the building process.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All right my buisness partner is out for most of the games next month.. Which one of you guys want to go and knock back a couple and talk about this at the game? We have excellent seats! Tup:

PS I still think I'm right!!! LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts