Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by Sportco today to pick up a new knife, and happened to overhear a conversation that made me mad. These two guys were standing by the fishing/hunting counter talking about Elk hunting when I heard the one guy say "If I'm out Elk hunting and I hear shots, I take off running towards the shots, cause they're shooting something and I may be interested in tagging it." It took all I had to not walk up and say something to this idiot. sick:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hey Brent… I am with you on that… but you should have said something to them… can’t hurt…

The issue is that that is how most guys elk hunt it seems… and that is there deal… let them to it… the secret is to go far enough that they can’t run that far to “tag it�…

And remember… an elk is never worth a gunfight… it has happened.

Sad…

I had a similar experience this year… I was up before light, we drove to a ridge top… stood out in the FREEZING cold morning breeze (at our face)… we waited and watched a tree line for about 2 hours as it got light… about then all of a sudden here come 3 trucks racing up the access road at about 30mph… one actually stopped when they see my truck… parks … the guy “hurry walks� up to where I was standing and says in a load voice “have you seen them�… I look at him with a “what a dumb ass� look on my face and whisper “no�… about this time… he yells “Hey there they are…� as I watch the elk I was waiting for to graze up to me, look up and then turn “bullseye� and haul ass right back into the trees not to be seen again… off the guy “hurry walks� to his truck and off he races…

So further away from where they can run/drive better…..

Cheers

ShawnAttach/21215221186.jpg[/img]
Third Place Halibut JR Rogers (wife Natalie reveived trophy for him) 65 pound Umatilla halibut

First Place Ling Two way tie
Myles Asper of Outdoor Emporium with his 50 pound Umatilla Ling

Stuart Nissell with his Rockpile 50 pound Ling not shown
Second Place Max Mackenzie with his 25 pound Lapush Ling

No Third place entry entered.ditives pumping through the heart of that Kudu. I'm sure he had adrenilin and whatever else he could generate going at maximum levels to get pushed to his limit.

I'm quite certain they cannot do this with just any species, or during all seasons. Kudu are selected for this specificly. I'm fairly confident they could not do this with a healthy adult Gemsbok for example! Gemsbok don't have a small home range, and run many miles when spooked. When you jump a herd of gemsbok that have been hunted before they will run out of sight and then some. Herd size is so great that there are way too many eyes, ears, and noses to get close, they live in much more open habitat making spear chucking distances far more difficult.o move on but please don

·
Registered
311 Posts
This particular issue was the final straw in why I hung up my rifle and started bowhunting elk 2 years ago. I shot a spike at 50 yards on top of a hill and a guy who walked right past me 1/2 hour before while I was "on stand" decided to be (without my knowledge) "on stand" almost right next to me. I shot it, it stumbled over the crest of the hill and 3 seconds later he shot it too. When I arrived at the scene (in less than a minute) the elk was dead with 2 lethal shots and the guy had already dug out his tag and notched it; and he was already on his radio calling for "backup", because he knew he was in the wrong! I wanted to slug the crap out of him, but with 2 loaded guns I thought better of it and moved on. Man, now I'm PO'd all over again! :x

·
Registered
2 Posts
This type of hunting seems to be happening more and more. About seven years ago I was sitting on stand in an area that I have hunted with my family for about thirty five years successfully. Right after daybreak a truck pulled up below me and parked. The driver and his partner looked right at me as they put their gear together. I figured that at least they would take a hike in the opposite direction but they start heading up the hill toward me. I turn and work my way up hill away from them all the while cursing them under my breath. These guys continued to follow behind me by about 100 yards for about 3/4 of a mile including when I turned off and worked the side hill on a cat trail. The only good thing was that as I neared the end of this cat trail a bull elk walked out in front of me and I was able to take a quick lethal shot and drop it in it's tracks. I tagged my prize and called my brother on our two-ways after letting out a hoot in celebration. I could hear the guys about 100 yards below me cursing their misfortune and my good luck.

It seems that there are a number of hunters out their with no or little morals and ethics for this sport. I switched to Black Powder to avoid the issue with obnoxious deer hunters in my neck of the woods. I agree with the wabowhunter, the further you hike into the woods the better. Most of these hunters don't even want to get out of the truck let alone hike into the hills. Unfortunately you can't convict someone of making stupid statements in public or we would have to have jails on every corner next to the Starbucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts