Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about the 16ft Smokercraft Sportsmans sled?

Buddy and I have been looking into them.

What kind of power do you have (or did have) and how quickly does it plane with a Captain and 2 others?

Looking for any info on them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I ran the 18' SC sled in AK all summer. It had a 50hp Honda 4stroke and planed out nice and quick with 4 clients plus me aboard. I wouldn't want that flat bottom on big water, but for the river it was great.

I have a 15' SC Lodge model with a 40hp Yami 4 stroke as my personal boat down here. It is a vee bottom. Two people plus me, it does 28mph on flat water. I think it's tough to find a better value than SC's for that price range.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We got to looking into it and called and talked to a lot of people...What we found out, the 90/65 2 stroke is perfect for this boat.
But what really chaps my hide is the first price we where quoted and that they list, was the price we where willing to work with. But I guess they don't want to sell 2 of them...

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
only problem I have with going any bigger is I don't have a rig to tow a larger sled...I already have an 18ft open sled and have to borrow a truck every time I need to use it lol...My little ol Ranger really has to work when I tow a large boat.

The boat dealer called us, they are willing to work with the first price they said...Gonna go test drive one tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
I wouldn't mind something like that. You'll be happy with it till you can get thru the truck issue then you can keep it for the small rivers and get yourself a bigger one for your other fishin. 90/65 perfect!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the 18' with a Yam 90/65. I love my boat gets up on plane fast enough with 2-3 people plus me. I use it in the Columbia, Cowlitz, Chehalis, Nooch, Satsop no problem anywhere except a bit choppy sometimes on the big C. Let me know if you want to hook up and test ride my boat without the pressure of a salesman.

BTW I talked with two guys on the Nooch this afternoon on this subject. Was it you?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the 1660 Sportsman Sled out for a test drive...The boat was powered by a brand new Mercury 50hp 2 stroke jet...Me (buck 80) my buddy (175) and the sales man (a good 260+) the boat came up on a plane within a boat lenght..Was real quick.
Added 1 more person (190) and the boat planed in about 2-3 boat lenghts.

From 1 person to 4 people, the boat speed didn't change much. Not real fast (low 20s) but it will work great for 2-3 people trips.
Boat sits real level in the water, tracks good, and looks good.

Think I'll have a few boats for sale now so I can pay for this new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts