Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at small Aluminim boats. First,I want something to throw on top of my truck when I'm towing our trailer,and second, something I can use around home when my 6yr old wants to go fishing.

There aren't many lakes I can put my North River in that are close to home.

I've been watching Craigslist for about a month,and most of the boats on CL are either junk,or way overpriced.

I've decided I'm just going to buy a new one, something 13-14'

I had a 15' Smokercraft Alaskan that was a great boat. I'd look harder at them ,but most of the stuff SC makes has split seats and wood floors. Too heavy to be hoisting up on a truck.

Lunds are kind of the same way,great boats,but most have wood seats and floors and the weight goes up.

Whats your experience with Duroboats? Alumacrafts?

Any other brands I might be forgetting?

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
when you are talking sub 14' aluminum boats i dont really thinks make matters, they will all be just fine. klamath makes a very nice boat in that size range with better features than most and more seaworthy but they are pricy.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
A friend bought a Duroboat recently and loves it.He was looking at getting rid of his old 14ft VALCO for free.Havent talked to him in a while as he is in Colorado.Valco is here though stored.I can call him and see if its still available if you like.I;ll give him a call tomorrow to see if he still wants to let it go...We took the boat to possission from Mukilteo once so i know its seaworthy..

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I had a 13' Smokercraft Alaskan and I absolutely LOVED it! Same freeboard as a 15' but without the floor and split seats.

I believe it weighed #160 or something like that?

I put it in the back of my truck (overhanging the cab) a couple of times while towing my 25' travel trailer.

It wasn't the easiest thing to do... but a couple of adults can git 'er done.

I still have a little 12' Sea Nymph that I put the electric on and fish trout out of.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Keep checking Craigslist. Last year around this time I picked up an excellent 12' Aluminum boat that came with oars, 3 life jackets, an anchor and a Eagle fish finder all for $400.

·
Super Moderator
32,972 Posts
Hunter P said:
Whats your experience with Duroboats?
I had one for 7 years. I am sorry I ever got rid of it. Zero problems ever and as far as I am concerned its the best small aluminum boat make. No rivets!!! I want to get another one again for lake fishing. There were a couple 12'ers on Craigslist afew days ago maybe there still there if you do a search.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Sorry Hunter my buddy called me back late last nite.He gave the boat away already.The trailer he is using for his Duroboat..Sometimes one might show up here in Lake Stevens and i;ll keep a eye out for you.My folks live on the lake and one floated up onshore after a windstorm once...No one ever claimed it either.Think one of their neighbors has it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts