Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where would be some prime spots to target these fish from the bank come this weekend?

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Nates aren't like hatchery fish. They don't all shoot up to one place like Reiter. What fish that are in the river will be spread out.
The best way to catch one is to just cover as much water as possible.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Upper river around Startup, around mouth of Sultan, IRS hole, Trestle hole, Buck island hole would be good for starting the quest.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Spent 10 hours doing that in a few SW rivers this weekend. Not looking for lots of hatchery fish all stacked up, but that one native that will make the whole day worth it. Unfortuanately, we didn't find him. Probably walked at least 6 miles that day and never ran into another person on the water. Awesome fishing, not so good catching.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I like to fish around ben howard, and just below the 2bit hole for them nates, however there ARE STILL HATCHERY fish to be had!!! picked some real bright hatchery fish on monday afternoon, just above 2bit. Like everyone else said. COVER WATER....go get em. probally see you out there this weekend also.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
There's definitely fish in the sky. I finally got my mom to hook and land her first steelhead all by herself on monday. It was a super chrome hatchery missile. Right around 10lbs 31", but it was realeased to keep going on it's way. She was pumped. We ran into a nice pod of fish in the tailout of the Taylor hole and I managed to C&R a gorgeous nate from the same spot. It definitely seems like those natives linger in the lower river a lot longer than the inbred brats. Missconduct, were you putting in at Lewis Street around noon thirty with the red truck?? I was there taking out the red wooldridge.

·
Registered
875 Posts
NEGATIVE MITCH!! White chev. with an alumaweld...

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Miss and Mitch - Were these 'super chrome' hatchery fish you guys recently caught hens by any chance?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Webo said:
Miss and Mitch - Were these 'super chrome' hatchery fish you guys recently caught hens by any chance?
Webo, both the hatchery and the nate were hens. The hatchery was not a downriver kelt either. Just by feeling and seeing the belly, it still had it's eggs and they weren't spewing out either. I'll try and put a picture of it up. Just curious, why do you ask?

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Because steelhead hens are known to "re-bright" after spawning. I've caught late Feb hatchery hens in the upper drift that were pure chrome too but they had already spawned. Smalma would know a lot more about it than me. Hopefully, he'll see this and post.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Still and always be kickin cropduster. Hope to see a few of u guys on the river this weekend. on the sky sun. a.m

1 - 13 of 13 Posts