Game Fishing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the trip up to the Sky today. Let me first mention that I had never caught a steelhead before this, and had only ever seen one landed. That was with yellowfever about a month ago.

I started out fishing reiter on the hatchery side and was pleasantly suprised with a quick hookup about two hundred yards upstream of the creek. I was just as quickly dissapointed by what followed; a suddenly slack line. This gave me some confidence, however, and I started to head down river. I fished my way past the three other anglers that were there, and kept moving downriver and casting. I was searching for the better holes, stopping breifly to cover smaller pockets and camping a bit at decent ones.

I got to a good looking hole and made a few casts. It was possibly the fifth drift that I saw a large steelie roll. I threw my bright orange jig in the fishes direction. Nothing. About five casts later I was contemplating moving on. Bobber down! Fish on! I knew instantly that it was not the fish I had seen prior to the hookup, but it was a good one and I obviously didn't want to lose it. A five minute battle brought this nice hatchery hen:

5 lbs 11 ounces

After taking the picture, I started to fish the hole again. Twenty minutes hadn't passed when I hooked this beast native:

Picture Deleted by author due to anger amongst the locals. For a mental image, take above picture and amplify the magnitude of the fish I am holding by seventeen. If you do not have a weak stomach, PM me and I will send it to you.

I lost my jig about thrity minutes after releasing the native, and the satisfaction and excitment of my first two steelhead compelled me to go home and share. The water was low and very clear, it probably had a good eight feet of visibility. Although it was in the low fourties, I was hot, for I had worn too much cloths. I know that the native pic is a bit convroversial, but lifting the fish from the water was the only way I could get a picture of it by myself. Sorry in advance.

James

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
ahh so you were the guy that was catching all those fish

i was on the other side and i fished a couple of different spots and didnt see anything

nice fish

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Dude, let me be the first to say Congrats, now with that said, delete the second picture pretty quick, and have a great time Tup: nice fish

·
Registered
520 Posts
GURU said:
Dude, let me be the first to say Congrats, now with that said, delete the second picture pretty quick, and have a great time Tup: nice fish
what he said... just remember natives can't be lifted out of the water (even if its the only way to get a pic by yourself) before being released.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Way to go!!!!!!!!!! An outstanding first day of steelhead success. Fishing up there is slow right now and you absolutely killed it today. And I say leave both pics up, you might get flamed, but only out of sheer jealousy. Congratulations!!!!!

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Congrats on the Steelies, and your 1st one Tup: I would also recommend deleting the native out of the water pic as the post can be used against you in court from what I've heard....

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Awsome day on the river I'm jealous for sure a 2 steelhead day is rare. But i would not post a pic of a native out of water.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
RowVsWade said:
Nice job.

PS--- Sparky's law is BS....
I couldnt agree more. Its about as dumb as rules can get but I dont write them. I would delete the 2nd pic.

Nice Fish! Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup:

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
You know, a lot of people complain that the wardens don't enforce the regs in the field, then worry that the wardens will enforce them on the internet. If you get cited for posting that pic, I'm willing to represent you pro bono.

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
Fluffhead said:
You know, a lot of people complain that the wardens don't enforce the regs in the field, then worry that the wardens will enforce them on the internet. If you get cited for posting that pic, I'm willing to represent you pro bono.
clap:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.