Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a few hours to fish the Sky this past Monday afternoon. I really haven't fished it much in the past. That might have to do with a couple of past tweaker encounters and the half naked hippie chick running around at the Ben Howard launch a couple of years ago in December :eek: That is story for another time.

I had checked the gauge before fishing and it was in the 1,800's cfs range at Goldbar. The river had good flow but was really clear and could have used some color.
So my questions. What gauge height would you consider prime for the Sky? Also at what height would you consider it out?
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Depends on the target species, but I assume you're talking steelhead. Prime for me is 6 to 6.5, but I will fish it anywhere from 4 - 8. I've caught a steelhead with the level as low as 3.5 in the summer.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I say "it depends" too Stone. The higher flows that Fluff said are definitely ideal... but higher water tends to make the hatchery fish shoot right up to the terminal zones. If you like to flyfish for winters... I'd say 5' or approx 3000 cfs is probably ideal. There's some weeping clay just above Gold Bar that's gonna be causin' some vis problems everytime we get a good rain now I fear.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Fluff & Webo,
That gives me the basic info on levels I was looking for.
Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts