Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple buddies and I are planning a trip to the Skeena next summer... Doe's anyone have any good info on when would be the best time to hit it for Kings and Silvers? We plan on taking our own rigs (driftboats). Any good places to stay, eat, license concerns.... Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I'm looking to hit the tribs up for trophy steelies sometime as well.

Good luck you guys. Tup:

Thanks

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
If I remember correctly. If your after Kings I think the Kalum (Kitsumkalum) is a May and June deal. I remember reading stuff years ago about huge kings in there. One place I've always wanted to go for large kings. I seem to remeber articles saying that it was the best place in the world for a chance at a 50 pound plus Chinook. Better big fish per hour average than the Kenai.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I read an article about the Skeena a few weeks ago about how that fishery is not doing well at all. I am correct or was I reading about another river. I want to say it was in STS or the Journal? I will have to find that. Anyway, that still sounds like ana awesome trip!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I don't believe kings and silvers run at the same time in the Skeena.

Late July is the time for kings from what I understand. Silvers are mid September to November... same as the steelhead.

The Skeena is a big river and with this years huge snowpack... runoff is gonna last well into August probably. Last year the river was punched for most of the summer. Look up Terrace, BC and you'll get info on lodging.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I've made that 21+ hr drive a few times. The Skeena is a BIG river without any dams to control its flow. Due to bad logging practices on a few tribs the river goes out in a hurry. As Webo said snow pack and rainfall will dictate conditions. July is the best month for the kings in the Skeena. The last week of July & the first 2 weeks in August will give you shots at multiple species. Unless you're planning on fishing the tribs a drift boat won't get it done. You really want small to mid sized sleds to get around. Bring the heaviest gear you have to fish big fish in heavy water. With the limited visability you'll need to bring your best eggs and lots of them. Don't plan on getting any decent cured eggs up there. So bring lots and also bring your fav cure to process eggs from the hens you catch. Do an internet search on the area and also search all the fishing web sites for info. Its a really expensive trip so do your homework so you get the best experience.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Late july is the time for trophy kings, but beware.

Last year the area got 24 feet of snow and the river was blown out for weeks, mud slides covered roads, and the rivers were dirty. Fishing was poor at best. That is the good news, the bad news is they are getting more snow this year just like the cascades.

·
Registered
56 Posts
for skeena kings, you will want a sled. Mid july onwards is the time to go. Drift boats are used pretty much only on the kitimat river. Skeena is a bait, plugs spoons show and the kitimat is a no bait or scents but everything else deal. Kitimat is good june and july and would be decent in late july. Snow pack is average so far this year so water being too high should not pose a problem. There are a few steelhead in late july, but it is sort of the very start of it. It will be expensive with the usa dollar now at par.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts