Game Fishing Forum banner

Sitka???

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  White Possum 
#1 ·
Good chance I will be spending some time in Sitka this summer. :D I was wondering if there is any local knowledge on this forum?

We will have access to a seaworthy boat,,,,just need to get on some fish!!

Plans are for july/august.

Thanks

#2 ·
Best thing to do is follow the charters.

Vitskari (IE the Rock Pile), Sitka Pt, Biorka, Shelikof Bay, The Shark Hole (North tip of Kruzoff Is) are the major spots for salmon. July-Aug is good for Kings and Coho will just be starting to show around late July. Pinks, you won't be able to keep them off starting in mid July.

I spent last summer up there guiding, let me know if you have any specific questions...happy to help :mrgreen:

#4 ·
I fish Sitka every year and have been there in late May all the way through mid Sept. My favorite time is always the mid July time period. Lots of Kings and ussually lots of Silvers. you should not have to really run very far to get into fish. Biorka seems to hold some really big kings. But right straight out from the harbor (you cant miss the mad rush out by the charters) ussually hold alot of fish.

Good luck. I'll be there this year again with tom Buchroyd and Alaskan Advantage mid july for 5 days.

Mark

#5 ·
Like Big Bird said, "just follow the charters" There will be fish everywhere. My boss runs a boat with Angling Unlimited and gets us up there every year. What A BLAST!!!! We got into several 30+ lb kings and one that pushed 47 lbs in early july. Fish On!

#7 ·
Fish Boy, The time you are going is a little early for silvers although some years they are in by then, better fish hard early cause the troll opening usually is around that time and it gets REAL BUSY in all the good fishing spots. Big Bird, Talked to Tom acouple of months ago and he went in for shoulder surgery and ended up with a quad bypass. Never known a guy who spends as much time under the knife as Buckroyd.

#8 ·
Icystraits said:
Fish Boy, The time you are going is a little early for silvers although some years they are in by then, better fish hard early cause the troll opening usually is around that time and it gets REAL BUSY in all the good fishing spots. Big Bird, Talked to Tom acouple of months ago and he went in for shoulder surgery and ended up with a quad bypass. Never known a guy who spends as much time under the knife as Buckroyd.
ya i know the trol fishery is gonna be there but ithink it will be ok since they dont start till the 4th i believe, maybe the first, i was gonna book with buckroyd myself but he didnt have my dates open. i think they have to go all the way to juneau form sitka for those surgeries.

#9 ·
Icy-- I think Tom just likes the attention. I helped him this year at the Sportsman Show one day. He feels much better and is ready for the season to get underway.

Troller- Yea there a pain but usually dont effect things to bad. In fact find a place around 200-400 feet deep where they are making their turn and thats where you will find the halibut..

#10 ·
If you are looking for a charter, in my opinion, Angling Unlimited is the best around. Brand new 29foot Almar boats, all G-Loomis equipment... even the halibut gear is Loomis. The accomidations are first class all the way. I tried to attach some pictures but the files are to big. I caught Kings, Silvers, Pinks, Chum, Black Cod, Pacific Cod, Ling Cod, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Banded Rockfish, Black Rockfish, Quillback Rockfish, China Rockfish, a 300 pound six foot long Salmon Shark, Several Halibut in the 30 to 100 pound range with one Halibut topping 255pounds and 78.5 inches long (3 gaff hooks and a 410 shotgun slug to the head to get it in the boat). All of this was done on a three day four night package. All of the people who work at Angling Unlimited make you feel as if you are part of a family, especially when you come back for a few years in a row. The way they process and package, then flash freeze your catch at their dock in their own freezer makes you feel certain that what you catch is truely what comes home with you. Simply the best. The White Possum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.