Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good News!! Simms received my letter this week and promptly called me back. They are sending me a new pair of waders. clap: So now I have to eat crow! mmm......... Simms waders are great, and so is there service :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This is a letter I wrote to the Simms Warranty department. Please let me know fellow GFer's if you think this is a reasonable argument. Thanks.

To Whom It May Concern:
Last year I purchased a pair of your G3 waders. I used them no more than twenty times, and the majority of that time was spent catching salmon during the fall. I recently
Went fishing last December on our coast for winter steelhead, and my waders
Started to leak profusely. I turned them into your warranty department, and after finding
Out how long it would take, due to the holidays, your warranty department sent a loaner
Pair. About two weeks ago I received notice that I needed to pay $85.00 to have my waders repaired. Keep in mind; my waders were less than one year old. I was told by Auburn Sports to call and talk to your warranty department direct. After talking to Carrie about how old my waders were, and that the original receipt was with the waders when they
Were submitted for repairs, she happily waived the repair cost. She explained to me in detail what corrective action was taken to repair my waders, and that it was the technicians view that my waders were derelict of proper care because they “smelled� and also were wet in the feet. Also, upon further discussion, she had mentioned there were problems with the stocking feet in that particular model, and that after my waders were repaired, they would have the new version of stocking feet. There were also multiple leaks in the seams, as well as pinholes that were repaired. After receiving my waders from warranty repair, I noticed that the same style of stocking feet were on my waders, which she admittedly said had problems. Not only that, but when I used my waders last Saturday, THEY STILL LEAKED!!! In my opinion, if you have a product of the caliper of Simms, and there leaking from the seams less than one year old, THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN REPLACED. As far as the snide comment made by the technician about my waders being “SMELLY� and full of water, of course they were!! I live in the Northwest where we harvest salmon for food; sorry we are not all “feathertossers� in the world of fishing! As far as my waders being wet inside, of course they were wet, they LEAKED!! I took them in for service the next day, as I do use my waders frequently during the holidays, I needed them repaired ASAP.

You know, I bought these waders and spent three times the amount then I could have paid for brand “X� for a reason. The fact they were American made, and for SERVICE and RELIABILITY! I am deeply saddened that I will never support or buy another Simms product. You could have made me a believer, and a lifelong customer. Instead I will discourage my clients, friends, family, and anyone else who will listen, on purchasing your waders. I do own a G3 jacket, G3 wader boots, and a G3 vest, which I am very happy with, but our those items made in Bozeman?? Thanks again to Carrie for trying, and try to be a little fairer!

Sincerely,
JRr radiation falling on either hemisphere-thereby altering the earth's climate. Some observers have tried to connect the eleven-year sunspot cycle with climate patterns, but have so far been unable to provide a satisfactory explanation of how the cycle might be involved.

Man, too, may be somewhat responsible for the cooling trend. The University of Wisconsin's Reid A. Bryson and other climatologists suggest that dust and other particles released into the atmosphere as a result of farming and fuel burning may be blocking more and more sunlight from reaching and heating the surface of the earth.

Climatic Balance. Some scientists like Donald Oilman, chief of the National Weather Service's long-range-prediction group, think that the cooling trend may be only temporary. But all agree that vastly more information is needed about the major influences on the earth's climate. Indeed, it is to gain such knowledge that 38 ships and 13 aircraft, carrying scientists from almost 70 nations, are now assembling in the Atlantic and elsewhere for a massive 100-day study of the effects of the tropical seas and atmosphere on worldwide weather. The study itself is only part of an international scientific effort known acronymically as GARP (for Global Atmospheric Research Program).

Whatever the cause of the cooling trend, its effects could be extremely serious, if not catastrophic. Scientists figure that only a 1% decrease in the amount of sunlight hitting the earth's surface could tip the climatic balance, and cool the planet enough to send it sliding down the road to another ice age within only a few hundred years.

The earth's current climate is something of an anomaly; in the past 700,000 years, there have been at least seven major episodes of glaciers spreading over much of the planet. Temperatures have been as high as they are now only about 5% of the time. But there is a peril more immediate than the prospect of another ice age. Even if temperature and rainfall patterns change only slightly in the near future in one or more of the three major grain-exporting countries-the U.S., Canada and Australia -global food stores would be sharply reduced. University of Toronto Climatologist Kenneth Hare, a former president of the Royal Meteorological Society, believes that the continuing drought and the recent failure of the Russian harvest gave the world a grim premonition of what might happen. Warns Hare: "I don't believe that the world's present population is sustainable if there are more than three years like 1972 in a row."

Note: The same rhetoric now used for global warming.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Ya, I hate it when the kind of crap happens. Definitely should have been better service.

·
Registered
504 Posts
To expensive for what they are actually used for. I own the Cabela's Dryplus guide series waders and have had no problems. Let alone your 100% guarantee at Cabela's. That is to bad! I hope your letter works for you.

I have worked for several different manufactures and I am sure they will make it right, the problem I have is that they hardly ever try and make it right the first time. Manufactures I have worked for have always worked that way first and then if they see that they will lose you and more than likely others in the process they will do what they should have the first time, instead of giving you the run around. Let alone your time wasted and time spent doing honey dos instead of fishing.
Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Good letter jr. You usually hear good things about simms. I bought a pair for my son, and I. I have no idea how many times I have wore mine. I have patched the booties a few times because I hunted ducks w/o the gravel guards, but they still look in really good shape. My sons can stand up on their own.
Hope they make it right this time around.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Any company that gives you the runaround the first time isn't a good company imo. Thanks for the heads up and i'm sorry for your trouble. If it makes you feel better, if i owned the company i would have replaced them. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
167 Posts
You were doing good until this point:

"THEY STILL LEAKED!!! In my opinion, if you have a product of the caliper of Simms, and there leaking from the seams less than one year old, THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN REPLACED. As far as the snide comment made by the technician about my waders being “SMELLY� and full of water, of course they were!! I live in the Northwest where we harvest salmon for food; sorry we are not all “feathertossers� in the world of fishing! As far as my waders being wet inside, of course they were wet, they LEAKED!! I took them in for service the next day, as I do use my waders frequently during the holidays, I needed them repaired ASAP."

Up until that point, you had a reasonable tone, with a reasonable explanation of what was going on. From there, you did a 180 and entered the "fringe" zone, with capital letters, multiple exclamation points and a derogatory tone. A real business letter maintains a consistent tone, with valid points that can be backed up with corresponding evidence (where appropriate), and does not get emotional (or at least, not very). When companies see letters degenerate into the stuff above, they start looking for ways to push back.

That's just my opinion though, take it for what's it worth. I've written a lot of letters to a lot of vendors in my job though and I've gotten a lot of feedback about what gets attention and what doesn't.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dilema, they should of been replaced. Thats to bad Simms cant back their work clown: s

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chuck danger said:
You were doing good until this point:

"THEY STILL LEAKED!!! In my opinion, if you have a product of the caliper of Simms, and there leaking from the seams less than one year old, THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN REPLACED. As far as the snide comment made by the technician about my waders being “SMELLY� and full of water, of course they were!! I live in the Northwest where we harvest salmon for food; sorry we are not all “feathertossers� in the world of fishing! As far as my waders being wet inside, of course they were wet, they LEAKED!! I took them in for service the next day, as I do use my waders frequently during the holidays, I needed them repaired ASAP."

Up until that point, you had a reasonable tone, with a reasonable explanation of what was going on. From there, you did a 180 and entered the "fringe" zone, with capital letters, multiple exclamation points and a derogatory tone. A real business letter maintains a consistent tone, with valid points that can be backed up with corresponding evidence (where appropriate), and does not get emotional (or at least, not very). When companies see letters degenerate into the stuff above, they start looking for ways to push back.

That's just my opinion though, take it for what's it worth. I've written a lot of letters to a lot of vendors in my job though and I've gotten a lot of feedback about what gets attention and what doesn't.
You are right CD, I lost it at the end...

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am sorry that you feel like you got bad service. Simms has always been great with me, going above and beyond my expectations. I feel some obligation to say something good for them because they replaced my last pair at no charge. I did not expect that at all.

Isaac

·
Banned
132 Posts
I have Dan Bailey's and I love them. They replaced mine about 4-5 years ago because they had a problem like that with a bad lot of waders. I have heard a few other problems with trying to have Simms repaired or replaced. Someone told me that for the Lifetime warranty, Simms assumes a lifetime as approx. 45 uses. I am not sure that is true though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
isaac said:
I am sorry that you feel like you got bad service. Simms has always been great with me, going above and beyond my expectations. I feel some obligation to say something good for them because they replaced my last pair at no charge. I did not expect that at all.

Isaac
How did you go about sending your waders in? How old were your waders, and what kind? Was it recent that you had that experience? Wow, I'm glad you had good experience, I really wish I could say the same! :roll:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Even the best made breathable waders will wear out eventually within that 3-5 year window if used regularly and maintained properly. Rubber waders are about the only kind of wader that can be virtually indestructible...al beit they come with a load of cons. Most people will tell you to expect a 2-3 year lifespan with waders used regularly. This is for the breathable style. If you only use your waders sparingly, then you should be able to extend the typical usage period much further...again, if properly maintained.

I own a pair of Simms breathables and haven't had any issues. Your letter should state the facts of your experience and express a resolution (within reason). I agree with keeping with one tone. Keep it professional without the personalization.

REI, for example, has one of the best return/warranty policies of any US company. Most companies will work with you if your issue is within reason regarding the warranty coverage. Good luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have the same prob with simms ( leaking) they want me to mail mine in. I haven't yet because I am not ready to spring $90 bucks or have them gone for a long time! I think I will go back to buying a freshh set of breathables every year ant a third of the price, atleast I will be dry!

Later............

·
Registered
608 Posts
jrsculpin said:
isaac said:

Isaac
How did you go about sending your waders in? How old were your waders, and what kind? Was it recent that you had that experience? Wow, I'm glad you had good experience, I really wish I could say the same! :roll:
jrsculpin,

I got an authorization number on the internet then mailed them in after washing and drying them according to the directions on their website.
The waders were just under a year old and the freestone line.
It was just about a year ago that I sent them in and they replaced them with the most recent model which was different.
I hope that this helps. I felt that Simms went above and beyond my expectations. I hope that things work out for you as I have been very happy with their products.

Isaac

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
You guys get waders that don't leak!!!! WOW!!!!!!!! I can't find any worth a $#(^. If I can get 2 months out of a pair I don't want to wear the things after that anyway. nuke: sick: :lol:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good News!! Simms received my letter this week and promptly called me back. They are sending me a new pair of waders. clap: So now I have to eat crow! mmm......... Simms waders are great, and so is there service :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Thats great news, I had always heard good things about Simms so I bought a pair of the guide waders and a rivertek wading jacket, then I saw your thread. Got a little nervous for a minute. The only concern I have about my waders is now they are discontinued so if mine go out I may have to pay to upgrade to the next model.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Simms will not fix my waders anymore. They say there well used and too old WHAT there only 4 years old. Every time I sent them out for repairs they still leaked. I also got the G3 waders and I'm trying to make them last till summer. They told me the would sell me a new pair at guide price. Sorry I dont think I ever buy another pair. lifetime warranty my #$% Tdown: Tdown: Tdown:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts