Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys build your own shot shells? Was looking at the lee load all. Seems to get mixed reviews but most guys give it the thumbs up. The next price range up would be the mec 600 jr, but it really offers no advantage over the lee as far as production volume is concerned. I like the idea of being able to make loads that aren't readily availible in the stores.

Any other comments on reloading shotshells?

·
Registered
903 Posts
The lee load all works fine. Mec Jr gives you no more capability, just costs more.

The only consideration is if you want resizing capability. It is frustrating to build a batch of "perfect" loads and have one occasionally not cycle for that second shot at a pheasant or goose. Especially if they were originally fired in a different chamber or were stepped on and don't show it. (Don't worry, wink: This only occurs with the fattest roosters in the state-that is minus a tail feather that you stepped on before it flushed or 20 lb Honkers that land on your layout blind sick: )
I'm not sure what you are planning to load for, but you might consider the additional investment required to step up to a Mec Steelmaster. Which will cover most anything you wish to load.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I've never used the Lee but I have used Mec's for decades. Everything from the Jr to progressives. Resizing capability is pretty important to me. If you have several guns, you need to be able to resize. I have to think you could find a decent used one pretty inexpensively. If you aren't in a big hurry, then start looking at used outlets. Pretty tough to wear one out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have been reloading shells for around 20 years. I use a hornady 366 progresive. It can load easily 200 rounds an hour. It can full size if you want it to,(which isnt necasery if shot from the same gun that fired it. Everytime you pull the handle a complete shell is produced. If you intend on shotting any volume of shells go progresive. I shoot around 5000 rounds a year so it is important that I get my shells load in a timely manner. Good luck with the loading.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lately I've been shooting 2-3 boxes every weekend through a buddy's gun. Just picked up a 16ga 870 so I figured reloading might save me some bucks in that department. I figure I will probably go through two cases(10 boxes per case) a year. So, I'm thinking a single stage would be able to easily handle that volume.

Can you reload slugs or buck shot on a lee load all?

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can easily load the shells you need with the Lee reloaders. They have directions in most of your reloading manuals that explain how to load buckshot and slugs,but I am not sure about the Lee reloaders.Now as far as price goes getting somewhat a good deal on the componants is nothing short of tough. The White elephant in spokane has always had the best prices. I purchased 100 lbs of shot in December and they slap me almost $50.00 a bag, So I went to the reloading room and did the math it figured out to be $6.00 a box for a standard 3 dram 11/8 oz AA shell. The cheapest I have found these shells is around $8.00 a box. I can buy those off the wall shells ( which hit clays great) for about $5.00 a box. So I figured I will just buy cheap shells for clays and reload some heavy shells for hunting. Thats what I figured made good money sense. Good luck on Your reloading. P.S Dont buy your supplys at the sportsmans warehouse way over priced

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I don't want to discourge you from reloading if that is what you want to do. I have'nt cranked the handle of either of my shotgun presses in a couple years. I have a few hundred pounds of shot to burn up along with some other supplies. I'll use it eventually, but the cost of components are rediculous. It use to be a way to save money, and make a good quality load. Now the savings are minimal. Its a good hobby tho, and ther is no doubt the ammo will be quality if you do the homework.
These days when I talk to someone that wants to reload. I usually ask them why? If you just want to get into it cause it interests you, and you like making your own ammo. Get started...it can be fun. From your post. Thats what it looks like. I look at it as more of a job for shotguns, and most...but not all varmint ammo.
Mec 600's last...Go progressive if you can. Then have at least 4 kids. Chances are...one will like to reload. Then kick back, and reap the benifits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts