Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Way back a lot of guys used to put shock cords on the leaders when trolling for salmon here in the sound. It was usually a piece of surgical tubing, designed to take the shock when the fish made a strike. I've not heard anyone using these anymore and was just curious, is it because the fish are much smaller now, or are the poles/line so much better?

·
Registered
568 Posts
They call that a "Snuber".

Mainly made for soft mouthed fish like Kokanee.

I still see some guys using them in the salt trolling for Salmon but have never tried it myself.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I used to use a snubber, but only with deep sixes or other divers, tended to keep the fish hooked up a little longer (in my mind anyway). Doesn't seem to be a popular item with downriggers. The ones I have in my box are all dryrotted by know I would think. IMO I believe they are good until you get the skill level down to where you don't need them anymore, except like bailer said, trolling for kokes they are on almost everyones line.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Useing snubbers for kokanee are a thing of the past. If you use a 7'6" ulta light with a fast tip there is no need anymore :D

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
I have used them Salmon fishing in the past, but I filled them with scent too, so they had a dual purpose...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts