Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about as hard on fishing gear as one can be. Always breaking rods reels, you name it I can find a way to break it. No longer do I buy expensive rods and reels as I always break them or the tweekers get on them. SO I bought a Shimano 200trn last august. I liked it so much I bought another one. I bought one of the shimano TDR trolling rods for 29.00 thinking I could afford to replace it when I find a way to break it. That rod is the best trolling rod I have owned. I also bought another one of them in Jan. Yesturday I bought 2 of the TR 100 reels for the upcoming ling season. Point being I give those shimano products two thumbs way up!

Anyone else use these? IF anyone is looking to buy an inexpensive trolling rods and reels built to stand up to anything take a look at them.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yep... I use the 100's and the 200's. Decent LW reels. Never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've got one of the TR100's and matching downrigger rod, been using them for 15 years. Not my first chice of rods when I'm by myself - but it always seems to get used by somebody. Tup:

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've always used the Tritons for my salt stuff, I bought one when they first came out back in the late 80s and Ive had it ever since. It needs rebuilt now but 20 years later who cares!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have both combos on my boat and have been using that "cheap" downrigger rod for years..have changed reels as I found the drag to be a bit shaky after all these years in the salt on the 200's

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fishguidebrian said:
I've always used the Tritons for my salt stuff, I bought one when they first came out back in the late 80s and Ive had it ever since. It needs rebuilt now but 20 years later who cares!
20 years! Dang Brian, im lucky if something survives 20 months with me. :lol:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have some but don't use them much anymore. I used to, but have my favorites instead. Probably the best reel for the money. I don't think you can get a reel that holds that much line for that cheap anywhere, with that quality. You can never go wrong with Shimano. Have landed many huge kings in the past with them. The TR200 holds a lot of line and you don't have near the chance of getting spooled by a big king or silver.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Rook, I know,, it has been rebuilt 4 times, just drags and small parts but now I think It's dead. I used it heavily in the salt when I worked on the charters at Westport and have even abused it with Tuna. They just don't build them like they use to do they? I've got a much newer 100 series Triton taht didnt nearly take the same amount of abuse!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts