Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever heard of sharks being caught off the washington coast beaches? could we perhaps have a shark fishery like in california?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
T mag said:
has anyone ever heard of sharks being caught off the washington coast beaches? could we perhaps have a shark fishery like in california?
I've hooked Blues and landed Soupfin. There are Threshers in the summer and of course 6 Gills and Dogfish. Salmon sharks also.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
theres talk of whites in the straits and in puget sound but i personally think these are mainly salmon sharks i have heard of them caught down in the narrows

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
THE TRAPPER said:
We get them now and then, even in the Green River. "TRAPPER"
I guess we have Makos too. wink:

I'm sitting here tying up some "Mako hootchie fly girls" right now. I hope that is not too "Don Imus" for a beautiful shark. :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
This past summer my family and I were on vacation at Long Beach WA. There was flyers posted at the beach and at Cape Disapppointment State Park stating there was confirmed sightings by the Coast Guard of a great white shark in the mouth of the Columbia River.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
riverslut said:
This past summer my family and I were on vacation at Long Beach WA. There was flyers posted at the beach and at Cape Disapppointment State Park stating there was confirmed sightings by the Coast Guard of a great white shark in the mouth of the Columbia River.
Wouldn't be the first time a Great White was of the coast. The 17' GW hanging in the Seattle Aquairium was caught off the coast back in the late 60s.

There have been other confirmed sightings through the years.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
hahaha oh no! not the "only happens 3 times a year" pic! clown: clown:

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
there are a few sporadic instances of salmon sharks which are closely related to whites and are basically a smaller mnore cold water tolerant version that comes into inshore areas. cant really target them though as they are too few. the oceanic sharks are very closely tied with currents and will come closer to the coast as weather patterns dictate.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Sure, The sharks mentioned before, are here in our oceans. The threshers in the summer are out in the ocean. Several friends have hooked them. A very dangerous fish with that long tail. It comes across the deck when you have them up to the boat trying to get it in-if you try to do so. Tough fight. Lots of blues out there. Soupfins can be thick. Best part is when hooked on salmon gear they imitate a huge king. Last year they were hanging out in about 220' of water, straight out in Westport. Quite a few people I knew hooked big fish in this area to have them cut throught the 50# leader. It was funny as all thought they lost the king of a lifetime. I just kept my mouth shut. They swore they had 50 pound kings. Had several friends call me while in the fight. When I didn't hear back I would call them and ask them, "Soupfin?" "Yep" was the reply sounding like a little kid that lost his dog.

I believe I have seen Great Whites out there between Westport and Neah Bay in the summer over the years. Can't swear to it but whatever they were, they were big. To big of a fin to be a regular blue. Tail and dorsal fin pretty far apart. When those warm currents from Japan come in, lots of fish and sharks come in with them. I have to say it is a lot of fun fighting one if you can keep them from cutting through the leader.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Great White Shark Hoax
Nasty pics and story make for a Great White Shark hoax
(Large Shortfin Mako Taken Just Off Yarmouth Harbour, Southwestern Nova Scotia, Canada Comparing the size of the sharks head & mouth to the guy standing beside it, one can quickly appreciate what would happen if one of these phanthoms of the deep grabbed you whilst in the water Carla Allen, Transcontinental Media.)

The Ocean Shores' Great White Shark Hoax
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 16 May, 2005 : There is a good story that has been circulated on the Internet about a large Great White Shark that towed a vessel backwards after being tail looped. The story, a hoax, is posted below. In fact the photographs (above and below) are of a large short-fin Mako shark that was captured off of Nova Scotia.
The close up of the sharks head and mouth clearly show lower dentition that is narrow and pointed, which are characteristics of the Mako shark, unlike the broad, somewhat triangularly serrated teeth of a white shark.
Ralph S. Collier, of the Shark Research Committee has kindly provided the link to the Urban Legends page outlining this particular hoax entitled Yarmouth, Nova Scotia: Urban Legend based on This Years Shark Scramble Catch.
More images of the real event are to be found at the Florida Museaum of Natural History Ichthyology Department and this provided by a Surfersvillage visitor after noticing the hoax story..... Thank you Anonymous.
So the foregoing are the facts, and the following is the HOAX;-

Ocean Shores' Great White SharkOcean Shores Wa. USA - While the ocean vessel 'Dawn Raider' was commercial fishing for dogfish, this Great White was hooked in the mouth but only resisted slightly for 15 minutes before it came up alongside the boat to have a look; long enough for one of the crew members to slip a rope around it's tail !!! 'And that's when the s**t hit the fan!!.
The Shark took off towing the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through the water at about 7 Knots. Just like in JAWS, the boat was taking on water over the stern and the crew watched in horror as the shark would actually jump completely out of the water at times. This went on for an hour before the shark finally drowned.

Ocean Shores Great White on display
She weighed in at 1035 LBS. It is suspected she followed a weak El Nino current into local waters in search of food. Although mid 60 deg. water is considered ideal for these sharks, the larger ones can tolerate water in the low 50s.

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
There are also quite a few 6 gills in the south sound area!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here is a picture taken on a night dive of a six gill taken in Elliot Bay a few years back. It was around 10 feet long cruising around in about 15 feet of water. During the fall they come into the shallows at night for some reason. Notice the bite mark on the side, looks like on of his buddies thought he might make a good meal!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
Thats a cool pic!!! We got a few guys that come in the store that target those guys in the shallows off the piers in tacoma... they make thier own leaders out of 1000lb stainless cable and like 16/0 - 20/0 circle hooks!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Fish Guy Keith said:
Thats a cool pic!!! We got a few guys that come in the store that target those guys in the shallows off the piers in tacoma... they make thier own leaders out of 1000lb stainless cable and like 16/0 - 20/0 circle hooks!! :eek:
Tell them they shouldn't be fishing for them. Its closed for Sixgills,and they can't be taken from the water either.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts