Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF!

NASSIRIYA, Iraq (Reuters) - A two-metre shark has been caught in a river in southern Iraq more than 200 km (160 miles) from the sea.
ADVERTISEMENT

Karim Hasan Thamir said he was fishing with his sons last week when they spotted a large fish thrashing about in his net. "I recognised the fish as a shark because I have seen one on a television programme," he told Reuters.

The shark was pulled from the mouth of an irrigation canal that joins the Euphrates River. The Euphrates joins the Tigris River further east to form the Shatt al-Arab waterway which flows south past Basra into the Gulf.

Dr. Mohamed Ajah, assistant dean of the college of science at Thi Qar University in Nassiriya, said barriers in river estuaries usually prevented sharks swimming upstream.

"In this case, I think this animal was there for a long time but no one had managed to see it," he said.

Locals blamed the U.S. military for the shark's presence.

Tahseen Ali, a teacher, said there was a "75 percent chance" Americans had put the shark in the water.

"This is very frightening for us. Our children always swim in the river and I believe that there are more sharks. I believe that America is behind this matter," said fisherman Hatim Karim.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
One shark? If we put it there, there woulda been at least a few dozen. No reason to do something if you're not gonna do it right. :lol:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
powder said:
One shark? If we put it there, there woulda been at least a few dozen. No reason to do something if you're not gonna do it right. :lol:
Damn right, they didn' t even put a laser beam on its head!!! nuke:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
HAHA We have been blamed for putting rabid badgers there too. They also used to think our goggles were xray goggles.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
powder said:
HickvilleFF said:
powder said:
Damn right, they didn' t even put a laser beam on its head!!! nuke:
Haha
LOL thats funny. sharks with freaking laser beams!

anwyays, always blame it on the americans. If we did that, thats freaking hilarious LMAO ROFL

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Bull Sharks can live in fresh water and have been captured 100's of miles up rivers. They are very agressive as well.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think the part about them blaming us is almost humorous.

Indeed it looks like a Zambesi shark, a well known man eater.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
islandbass said:
I think the part about them blaming us is almost humorous.
That and the fact that it was coming from a "Teacher" makes it even funnier.

It is about time those sharks we ordered came in. When I was there we could only get ill tempered Sea Bass with freakin lazers. :lol:

Honestly, this has got to be a joke. Sounds like something coming from "The Onion" :lol:

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
the fact that he deducted that it was a shark since he had seen one on tv once also brings up the fact that these people have very little knowledge of the outside world.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts