Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fishing off my deck in Colvos passage from dusk to night. I've been catching Spiney Dogfish. Ive been using my trout Ugly Stick a small Shimano reel with braided line. Tonite I tried a lighted bobber set up with a whole small herring on a 1/0 2/0 salmon leader. My bobber goes down I set the hook and the bobber goes screaming off. I get this dogfish right next to my deck when a much larger Shark comes up and grabs my dogfish and takes off. It reeled my line off and I never saw my line or new bobber again. What kind of shark do we have here. A friend said maybe a 6gill shark.. By the shadow I saw and a dorsal fin cutting the top of the water Id say at least 5-7 foot long. Do we have larger shark? Will a large sea lion go after a shark. Whatever it was it was big.

·
Administrator
13,978 Posts
I've been fishing off my deck in Colvos passage from dusk to night. I've been catching Spiney Dogfish. Ive been using my trout Ugly Stick a small Shimano reel with braided line. Tonite I tried a lighted bobber set up with a whole small herring on a 1/0 2/0 salmon leader. My bobber goes down I set the hook and the bobber goes screaming off. I get this dogfish right next to my deck when a much larger Shark comes up and grabs my dogfish and takes off. It reeled my line off and I never saw my line or new bobber again. What kind of shark do we have here. A friend said maybe a 6gill shark.. By the shadow I saw and a dorsal fin cutting the top of the water Id say at least 5-7 foot long. Do we have larger shark? Will a large sea lion go after a shark. Whatever it was it was big.
Check this out:

Salmon shark | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

·
Registered
303 Posts
It's most definitely a sixgill. Dogfish is the best bait for them. I've caught 100's over the last 25 years from all of the docks north to south.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts