Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be a bit early, but I need to plan ahead for plane tickets and all that. When do the shad typically start picking up? I think I went end of May last year, but I kind of forgot. Yes, I am flying back up to do shad fishing. Don't throw rocks at me, steelheading elitists! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,717 Posts
Mid May through Early to mid June is the peak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
I fished for shad last year for the first time I think it was the last couple days of April. I saw a couple fishermen catching some down below bonneville and went down and caught 3. I guess it gets better later in the season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Cuz I'm a geek :geek: I actually did a time series plot of the shad run from 2004 through 2007. Statistically, the peak of the run is in early June. More specifically June 8 through 12.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Green Wasabi said:
Cuz I'm a geek :geek: I actually did a time series plot of the shad run from 2004 through 2007. Statistically, the peak of the run is in early June. More specifically June 8 through 12.
Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for, and more! Have they kind of been shifting around in recent years? Like last year, was it early or late compared to the previous? Any way you can post these plots? clap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have the Minitab file anymore. There is a shift, but it seems historically reliable, that the best runs occur in the first 2 weeks in June. I can't remember if the data showed the mean, the mode, or the average. Sorry, I'm trying to recall from memory. The data was from the Bonneville counts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Jake Dogfish said:
I fished for shad last year for the first time I think it was the last couple days of April. I saw a couple fishermen catching some down below bonneville and went down and caught 3. I guess it gets better later in the season.
FYI Shad does not open on the Columbia (Bonneville section) until May 16.

With me, I only make 1 trip a year nowadays (not as young as I used to be to handle the 6.5 hour round trip drive). I always go sometime during the first 1.5 weeks of June, so that I am guaranteed to get plenty of fish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
madcapmag said:
Green Wasabi said:
Cuz I'm a geek :geek: I actually did a time series plot of the shad run from 2004 through 2007. Statistically, the peak of the run is in early June. More specifically June 8 through 12.
Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for, and more! Have they kind of been shifting around in recent years? Like last year, was it early or late compared to the previous? Any way you can post these plots? clap:
Last year was the worst year in my recent memory. Not nearly the numbers or duration of the run as in previous years. In prior years, there were days when there were 400k+ fish counted per day, with plenty of consecutive 100k days. Last year, there were only a handful of 100k+ days.

Here's a link to a site where you can get some historical figures. https://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/op/fishdata/home.asp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,198 Posts
Hey Kracker, we'll have to chase those other "slime rockets" around this year, I should have a few noobs in tow. Let me know what your work schedule looks like and I'll see if I can plan accordingly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
I confess; I do eat shad. I keep a few females as the roe is good eats, and I smoke and can some. I haven't acquired a taste for any other preparation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wolverine said:
I confess; I do eat shad. I keep a few females as the roe is good eats, and I smoke and can some. I haven't acquired a taste for any other preparation.
The roe is the best!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
We had 750k over on fathers day 2 years ago, last year was a odd year.. we had some great days then some days it was easier to hook oversize sturg then catch the damn shad for bait! anytime in the first week of june is good
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top