Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washington budget deficit may call for tax boosts
$2.4 billion state shortfall predicted

OLYMPIA -- Washington's powerful House speaker has acknowledged the possibility of tax increases to balance next year's state budget, but adds that Democrats want to avoid such a step if possible.

Thursday's comments from Speaker Frank Chopp, D-Seattle, are the strongest signal yet that Democratic leaders think higher taxes could be needed to balance the 2009-11 budget, which will be written by next year's Legislature.

Chopp's statements also seemed to confirm months of Republican warnings about the need for tax increases or spending cuts to deal with a looming state deficit, recently pegged by nonpartisan Senate staff at nearly $2.4 billion in the next biennium.

Republicans have consistently sent that warning, saying the past four years' 33 percent increase in state spending can't be sustained in a slackening economy.

Mr. Rossi... It believe that you are up next. wink:

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Anybody want to post how your country's budget is doing.

Hell even I cannot believe that 33% increase in State spending.

Well guys and gals I know where your bribe from the Beloved One is going. :lol:

Come on, at least it is being spent in America. :lol:

Or should I have said 'Been spent in WA' :lol:

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our beloved Governor inherited a balanced budget bolstered by huge increases in revenue resulting from the economic boom sparked by Bush's tax policies. Yet she found multiple opportunities raise taxes by very substantial amounts and spent money like there is no tomorrow indebting Washingtonians for decades. And now we find that even with these new taxes her budget was too large for revenues.

That is why we need to get back to the Rossi spending principles that worked for us during the Clinton Crash. I honestly believe that he can reach across party lines repair our fiscal problems despite the damage of the last several years.

Vote Rossi! Tup: Vote for a better tomorrow! clap:

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
I honestly believe that he can reach across party lines repair our fiscal problems despite the damage of the last several years.
:roll:

I seriously doubt that. Doesn't mean I don't want him to try though. Even if he prevents SOME of the idiocy, it's better than the constant out of control spending.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I was speaking to my man Senator Mike Carrell this evening and he informed me that in this current budget that is being prepared the State of Washington has alloted $5000.00 to the Peruvian embassy (In Seattle I believe) to help pay for their 100 year anniversary celebration.
He also informed me that they refer to amounts of money $50,000.00 and less as"Budget Dust"
Any one want to take a guess at the real reason we have a budget short fall?

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
OB-1 could you ask him to set aside some of that budget dust to pay for my expenses when I am over there.

Well there are enough taxpayers wanting to meet and greet me, it would really tax my budget if I was to meet everybody. But if he got me some of that budget dust then I will be able to meet more folk. ;) :lol:

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
It doesn't seem that long ago that Missy Chrissy was all a twitter about what do do with a budget surplus. Can't remember the specifics but I think a "Rainy Day Fund" was mentioned as her favorite idea for what was then a surplus. The main reason I don't remember all the details is because I figured at the time the money would just get pissed away on worthless, or "feel good" projects.

Are my drugs totally wearing off, or does anybody else remember talk of a budget surplus not too long ago?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts