Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The older I get the faster the hunting season's go bye, and the more I miss them during the off-season. The hunting forum slow's down a little bit this time of year, so let's hear some hunting stories about one of your most memorable day's spent out in the wood's...

I'll start....It was early 90's myself,my brother(rick) and an old friend(eric) decided to meet up in north bend and go into weyerhauser on sunday morning of the late hunt. we spent the morning out walking clearcut's and met back at the truck around 11:00 or so and decided to do a little road hunting for the afternoon. We spent a few hour's driving and looking,not many animal's to see. I decided to head up a road that overlook's a deep, deep valley, we got to the top,parked the truck and my brother say's why u looking down there, I said dont worry(with a big smile on my face)I wouldnt' shoot at anything down there. We are all out looking over the canyon when all of a sudden I see a deer trotting along the creek on the other side of the canyon way in the bottom. I put the scope to it and YES it's a buck BOOM I fire, deer is still walking BOOM my brother fire's and down he goe's. He looked at me and said I thought there was gonna be no shooting down in this canyon( oh well had too) I just laughed. Rick and eric head down in and I stay up top to guide them to the deer,they get to the deer so down in I go. We get the deer gutted and then the fun begin's rick and eric start draggin it but the brush along the creek was to tall for rick and his short little leg's. rick takes all three guns and I grab a leg with eric and the drag is back on. 45 minutes into the drag and rick's gonna go ahead of us to the truck, bring us back a beer for refreshment as we continue to fight the brush getting this deer out. Well an hour or so goes bye and no rick, we have got the deer out of the creek bottom and onto the hill side above the road. We come out on the hilltop and look down, what do we see rick sitting there on the tailgate drinking the last of the 3 beer's. Rick look's up and say's be careful coming down there it is awfull steep, I look at eric and say grab the back leg's(He say's HUH) on the count of 3. Rick's yelling up at us ,your not gonna throw my deer off there are u.1 2 3 down he goes, a perfect slide down the hill all the way to the ditch on the side of the road,rick couldnt' beleive it.Eric and I make it down we load the deer in the truck as the sun is setting on the last day of the season.

We still seem to talk about that deer every year or so up at hunting camp...Oh yeah I forgot to tell u guy's the deer was a spike about 3inches tall on one side and 1 inch tall on the other...lol

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I dont know how you can pick one man, I'm only 18 and i have atleast 15-20 different stories i want to tell!

Ok.

I had already gotten my deer, as had everyone else in the truck but one of my dad's buddies. We were in vail on the sunday of late buck oh 5-6 years ago. we had hunted several clear cuts and had resorted to hittin the road to try to find a decent spot to push some trees. It was sunny out and things were not lookin real good as the deer werent moving much. My dad was pulling into pullouts every not and then to look over the edge and see if anything was moving, and to let passerby's through. he pulled into one as a car went by and then tapped the brake, and i asked him "YOU SEE SOMETHING?!" he said no, and i looked down and said, "what about that one!" pulled up my binoculars and there was a nice little 2x3 standing about 150 yards down! only thing was, after i told them where it was, i lost track of it, then i would find it agian, and loose it, and they couldnt pick it out. It stood in the same place for a good 2 minutes while we farted around trying to get it located, luckily he was good and dummed up from the rut. The sun was not helping as i could barely see it through my binocs with the glare. Bruce, the guy with a tag, got layed down and comfortable and pulled up to shoot, but the sun was givin him a hard time too. he had his scope zoomed all the way in and he could just see hair, but it fought off the sun, and he let him have it. The deer dropped and luckily there was another road down below that we drug him to, got him cleaned out and in the truck. Then we started shootin for a bit just messin around, and my step brother was playin with the deer, he was only about 8ish. We got in the truck to do a little scouting for dif areas or something, and noticed chad wasnt really doin much, and that he was covered in hives. we were up the 3000 line, about 25 miles from the gate, have no benadrill, or his eppie pen(we have a whole kit for him now) and we loaded up and flew back to the gate. There we got ahold of a biologist who luckily had a whole allergy kit and was able to give him a shot and get him back in action. We didnt know he was allergic to deer, and it was a major lesson we learned up there that day! it was a nice buck, and luckily everything worked out ok!

maybe ill tell another one later if no one else posts, lol, enjoy

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
This one time at deer camp,my brother gets stung by a Yellowjacket at 2 in the morning.I fired up the lantern the next morning,and about died laughing. It got him right on the upper lip and he could barely talk right for 2 days. It looked like he had a hot dog stuck in his upper lip.

Every time we looked at him,we just started lauging all over again.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Time: Early 60's
Place: Sno Cap, ridge North of Boulder Creek Pass rd.
scenario: Next door neighbor has two daughters and two small sons plus himself and spouse. He buys tags for all.
This is a serious meat hunt.
Me? I like to hunt.
Two shooters with 270 Winchesters, one a Remington 721 with 4x Weaver scope. Kenny
One an Fn actioned Huskvarna. Tradewinds import in those days. Lyman receiver sight.

Weather: around 27 deg F and 4 to 5 inches new snow on the ground.
I set my backside on a rock face overlooking a shelf around 150ft below me. The shelf is butted up against the hillside and open for about 50 yards and then timbered as it drops off down the North slope. A deep arroyo or gully is just to my right.
I sit and eat a sandwich and have a small cup of cocoa. Catch a movement to my right down in the gully. Here comes a deer.
Pulse gets messy. another deer, and another. 18 deer total, not a set of horns in the bunch but that don't matter it's doe season for Mulies in that area.
The fattest doe was 3rd from the front at about 60 + yards, not quite quartering away. I aimed for the far shoulder and bang, down she went. They all started milling around and I (forgive foolish youth) put 5 down. The others took off into the timber.
I worked my way down the hillside to the shelf and started the messy part. I also fired 3 rounds at the stratosphere. I was trying to get partner Kenny on the scene with his two sons.
All the deer were gutted by eleven o'clock. Kenny showed up around 1. I was getting worried, pulling a deer up a steep slope with 4+ inches of new snow on it is difficult. There was a logging road about 200 feet above the shelf and I knew we could drive to it.
To make a long story shorter...it took the two of us from 1pm ' til 9pm to get those deer to his Nomad. His sons were useless.
I was a young animal in those days(27) and I thought I was gonna die.

I would deplore anyone doing what I did then, Other than on one of the Orchard culling hunts. But all were tagged and made the winter meat for two families.

ps: flame away. I ain't proud of it but you asked for some stories.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Last season my 6 year old went to deer camp for opening weekend. Sunday afternoon came and I had to drive him back to Greenwater (from Naches)to meet his mom. My dad rode along with me. It was about 1/2 hour after dark when we pulled back off the highway to make our way back up the hills to camp. We're about 2 miles up a Forest Service road,and as my lights flash around a corner we see a set of glowing eyes. From about 100 yds we can see its a deer. As I slowed down to give it time to get off the road,the little bugger (with 6" spikes) sees us,and make a full on charge at my truck. He covered the 100 yds in about 5 seconds and comes to a screeching halt about a foot from my bumper. Hes staring right at the Ram emblem in the midle of the grill. My dad and I are laughing at this pyscho spike as hes facing off with the grill for about 30 seconds. I honk my horn to get him to move and that just pissed him off. He came walking stiff legged around the front of my truck,ducked his head to miss the mirror and stopped right under my window.He was eyeballing me the entire time. I rolled my window down and could have grabbed the sucker by the ears,but figured he would either tear me a new one,or trash the side of my truck. By this time my dad and I are just about in tears from his little display.

I start rolling ahead,and he still won't leave the side of my truck. He ran next to the truck for about 100 yds (back to where we originally saw him) before he finally decided he taught us a lesson and took off up the sidehill next to us.

I guess he figured he owned that section of FS road,and wasn't gonna give it up. Tup:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 year's ago up at deer camp,monday afternoon after breakfast my brother(rick ) and I decide were gonna take the four wheeler's out to go glass some hillside's. 30 minutes into are trip we are gonna head for a new location. I make the turn around safely and start to head out, rick goes to turn around half way thru his turn he tapp's a log and over the quad goes ,he goes rolling off(looked like a well trained ninja) his gun fall's out of the holder's and hit's the ground.10 minutes later after I'm done LMAO he's ready to go. I asked if he wanted to go back to camp and check out his gun ,he say's no and were on are way.10 minutes later I stop and say let's go down here to check this area, he look's at me and say's let me see your gun for a second. Ok, so I handed it too him he raises it up to his shoulder and I hear the safety click off, so I plug my ear's....BOOM...down goes a nice 3x3 75 yard's up the hill that I had know Idea was there. We had a real easy drag down the hill to the quad's and back to camp we went...

Next time he ask's to see my gun I'm gonna look around a little bit First...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Vail, same year as my last post, and within the same square 1/4 mile, opening day. I already had my deer from a early season youth hunt. My dad about 1 hr after first light spots two deer on a hillside about a mile away with his binocs. So we roll around to the spot and he tries to pick em up agian. Doe and a fawn bedded under a small patch of trees. My grandpa tells me, Rian, spot us a deer. I say ok, turn around, and my eye latches on to two deer jogging right to left about 500 yards away. i call em out and my dad lays down infront of a log. He pulls up and the first one is a NICE 2x3. This deer was jogging at a medium pace at what we later ranged at 450 yards away. He pulls the trigger and the buck kicks it into overdrive, only to crash into a small group of trees about 30 yards in front of him, and never return.

Yes we dumped this buck! but he was across a canyon, and we didnt know how to get to the landing on the other side. (we knew you could tho, as ppl were up there watching us shoot across at this deer, but they could not see the deer) After about 2 hours of taking the wrong road we ended up on the landing about 300 yards above the deer. me, dad, and bruce all walked down to try to find the deer, and finnaly located him. He was swelled up in all his glory, and was a nice buck for the vail area. My old man had doubble lunged this thing, which was perhaps one of the best shots i have ever seen, that was not by a professional on TV. It sucked for my old man and bruce as they had to drag this very large swelled up buck to the top of the landing, about 200 yards, and it was a grab a sapling, pull yourself up, grab the bucks antlers pull him up to you type trip all the way to the top! Very steep! My dad was on the top 10 favorits all season that year, and is prolly still on the board now from several years back at the little game check area.

slowly but surely i will share more! :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
So there we were Myself My two Brothers (BIG GUY, & Hunter P) day two of the 2004 deer season and we were fogged in all day then at about 3 pm the fog lifted and the rain had stopped, everything was soaking wet so we decided to go out and do a little bit of road hunting. I was tired of driving around so I let Hunter P drive my truck the BIG GUY can't fit in the back so he rode in the front and that leaves me in the back seat of my own truck. We were out mudding around when the big guy says hey lets go up this road I want you to look at something, We made about three attempts at the hill that was just slicker then snote, the BIG GUY said easy there might be a deer over the other side. We got to the top of the hill and the BIG GUY and Hunter P get out and are standing at the back of my truck looking at bear poop :roll: I got out and was releasing some Beer out of my bladder when I looked up and about 75 yards away was a deer just staring right at us.Not the truck making three runs at the hill , BIG GUY and HUNTER P being loud could scair the deer away. I said there's a deer and as everyone who has ever hunted knows everyone went for there guns. I got my scope up and saw the horns it has to be 3 points or better I could tell by the size of the rack that it was at least 3 points, I said it's a shooter and at that point BIG GUY shots and like always misses I then shoot and drop it dead ( I knew it would be my only chance at hitting since Hunter P was next and he never misses) we walked up to it and it was a big 5x4 muley ( biggest one we taken out of the area). To this day when ever BIG GUY comes to my house he just looks at the wall and says there my deer. It was great shooting the biggest deer while riding in the back seat of my own truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts