1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Agency OKs the killing of sea lions at Bonneville Dam

By JOSEPH B. FRAZIER

The Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. -- The National Marine Fisheries Service has authorized the "intentional legal taking" of individually identified California sea lions that prey on migrating salmon and steelhead at the base of Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River.

The lethal removal is limited to sea lions deemed to have a significant effect the decline or recovery of federally protected salmon and steelhead stocks. The sea lions must have been seen eating salmonids between Jan. 1 and May 31 of any year, according to documents made available to The Associated Press Monday night.

Sea lions are protected under the 1972 Marine Mammals Protection Act, and the allowable kill would be limited to 1 percent of the potential biological removal, or about 85 animals.

The ruling, scheduled to be released Tuesday, said the sea lions captured in a trap must be held for at least 48 hours before they are euthanized. In that time, it will be determined if preapproved permanent holding facilities can be found, such as a research facility, zoo or aquarium.

The order identifies about 60 branded sea lions "authorized for immediate removal."

An amendment to the 1972 act permits the killing of sea lions if Columbia River states ask for and get federal permission.

Permission was granted only once before, for sea lions in the Ballard Locks in Puget Sound in Washington in the 1990s, where five animals were identified as offenders who drastically diminished a steelhead run that has yet to recover.

Three were taken in by an aquatic park before they were killed. The fate of the remaining two has not been made public.

Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company

·
Registered
315 Posts
It's good... It's better than hearing that they can not be killed.
I doubt it has a whole lot of impact on the problem. I think if
you had snipers shooting them, the problem would head back
to the ocean, but at least there was a little common sense
shown here.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Wow I did'nt expect to see that headline anytime soon. I guess there is enough politcal pressure and $$ involved to where even lethal removal finally became a reality with the cute little seals wink:. Maybe the tribes will take all of the carcasses for ceremonial eats??

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually think this will help a little-those things eat ALOT of fish...I would say ship them to somewhere else but they always come back. I am kinda waiting to see what activists say/do about this decision.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
i say kill everyone they see up there not just the ones they have seen before in years past. hell dont they all look alike lol Tup: wink:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd support a special tag draw like for elk and deer. I don't think I'd mount the head on my wall...... I'd mount it to the bow of my boat for all the rest of them to see. The White Possum

·
Registered
297 Posts

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Y E S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

. Finally!

. Although, you guys do realize we'll have to shoot to kill hundreds and hundreds of PETAs & Peta types to make it to the sea-lions if you try near Bonnie?!? Might have to be Wash. and Ore. coastal coves with a rifle silencer?

Or?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Hey, Didn't the Makahs use dto hunt and eat sealions as well as gray whales?
Maybe they could help us out?? Tup: Tup:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It's probably too little too late. As it was for the Cedar river steelhead at the ballard locks. But, at least it's something. Hopefuly it will lead to an aventual meaningful harvest of animals.

I've always said that it was stupid to protect a species to the point that it was responsable for the desimation of another. :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts