Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about putting the braided scotty downrigger line on this year and replacing the wire and was wondering if anybody has tried it and what people think? I could see some of the benefits but actual users tell the story.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I like mine. It's easy on the hands and not as noisy as wire.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I started using it last year after losing quite a bit of cable. I like it and has seemed to hold up well to blackmouth fishing where I am banging the bottom constantly. But you have to prevent the beads and clips from slipping. Some guys will knot or glue the beads. Scotty recently came out with red beads which are supposed to grip the braid better and they recommend either bending the clips a bit or using some rubber tubing at the contact point on the clips.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
i havnt used the Scotty Braid...

But Ive got the Sufix Braid on my DR's. I love the stuff! No more Kinks, no more rust, no more Cable Whine, I love it!

Tup:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've got Scotty on one side and Suffix on the other.
I like them both. I tie my stops on the line, so they can't slip.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I suggest you use the 200lb PowerPro (green) instead of the Scotty stuff. It's thinner and creates a lot less drag. The ball will hang straighter. On top of that, the cost is quite a bit less. I've been using it for three years now and it's great stuff. Love it. I agree with the comments above about the Scotty red stoppers. They are made for braid and work much better than the old black or yellow ones. I little dab of super glue on the stopper will make sure it never moves.

Slabby

·
Registered
426 Posts
Does anyone use any backing on ths spool? Just wondering as it seems the 300ft or so you would put on wouldn't take up much space...Wouldn't the retreive be better with some backing?????

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The one problem I have had with braid is the I apparently let the ball go down too fast. Sometimes when I stop the ball there is a bit of rebound in the braid and it has slipped off the spool and gone under it requiring me to remove the spool to get it back on the spool. The solution is simple. Just slow down the drop and keep a finger along the edge of the spool.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Trollking

Yes I did, because of the spool issue that I mentioned above. Since then, I went out on a buddies boat, and did the same thing 3 times in one day. After disassembling the downrigger 3 times, I learned to slow down on the drop and keep a finger on the edge of the spool. Problem solved. Another area I needed to learn patience. I am always in a hurry to get the gear back in the zone. Next time I respool I will try the braid again.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Interesting that some of you have had problems when putting the ball down fast. Luckily I've never experienced that and i've been using Power Pro for three years. I just scream the gear down most of the time and bounce it right on the bottom when winter fishing. It's been fine. I do have my finger on the edge of the spool but it goes down really fast. It never catches or binds up on the spool like the steel cable did at times.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Slabby:

I am also using the PowerPro on my Scotty... One question that I have is have you figured out a way to stop the release from a stacker from sliding up the thinner line, without using a stop. I have been told that you might be able to use surgical tubing on the clip, but have not yet tried it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Idlechater said:
Slabby:

I am also using the PowerPro on my Scotty... One question that I have is have you figured out a way to stop the release from a stacker from sliding up the thinner line, without using a stop. I have been told that you might be able to use surgical tubing on the clip, but have not yet tried it.
Before they came out with the new red Scotty stoppers, when stacking I had to bend the clip some to make it hold tighter on the line. If you bend the center piece that protrudes from the end of the clip out away from the clip (hard to explain) it will pinch more on the line and hold much better. However, now that the new red stoppers (made for using with braided line) are out, I use them to stack. I put one where I want to stack and attach the clip below it so it wont ride up. I have Scotty's too so I also put another stopper a little farther up the line so it will automatically stop the rigger just before the clip hits the boom. That way I don't have to stand there and watch for the clip when it comes out of the water and stop it manually. Can't tell you how many releases I've bounced off by not watching and it comes up and hits the boom. Iknow the surgical tubing worked well wihen I had cable. Never tried it with the Power Pro.

Slabby

·
Registered
145 Posts
Slabby:

I have also thought about using the stopper beads, however that adds two additional stops to the retrieve... This first is when the first bead hits so you can remove your stacked release... The second occurs when the stopper bead used to keep the stacker release hits... The third is when the final stop bead hits... While this is only a minor inconvenience, I would love to figure out a way that I don't have to use a stopper bead... I have been thinking of trying the release stoppers that Scotty makes, but I am a bit worried that they might cut the braided line...

Anyone else with ideas?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Idlechater said:
Slabby:

I have also thought about using the stopper beads, however that adds two additional stops to the retrieve... This first is when the first bead hits so you can remove your stacked release... The second occurs when the stopper bead used to keep the stacker release hits... The third is when the final stop bead hits... While this is only a minor inconvenience, I would love to figure out a way that I don't have to use a stopper bead... I have been thinking of trying the release stoppers that Scotty makes, but I am a bit worried that they might cut the braided line...

Anyone else with ideas?
I like using the red stoppers to stack dispite the additional stop. The way I look at it 2 of the 3 stops are needed anyway. The 1st one so it stops before the boom knocks the clip off. The 3rd one stops the ball at water level. Yea, there's that additional stop in the middle but I'm standing right there and it's no big deal to just start the rigger up again. Like you, I've always been concerned about crimping one of the sleeves on the braid. I've done it and it never broke but it just looks like it might weaken the line.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Kinda off subject a little, but being im running my first ever down rigger.. When I get 120+ ft cable out I see the rust on the wire. Anny prevention of rusting I should know about? Als at what point to i need to swap out my wire/braid? They dont call me the rook for nothin!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts