1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mukilteo man sets up own sting to recover stolen motor

05:31 PM PST on Thursday, March 6, 2008

By ROB PIERCY / KING 5 News

EVERETT, Wash. – A Mukilteo man who had his boat motor stolen in January got mad. Then, he used the Internet to get even.

When Doug Voice bought his fishing boat last year, he never thought twice about parking it in his fenced yard.

That is until a few weeks ago when thieves stole one of his boat's two motors.

Fuming mad, Doug filed a police report and then got on the computer, figuring the crooks would try to sell it online.

Sure enough, on the same morning as the theft, there was a Craiglslist ad for a Yamaha outboard motor just like Doug's.

Doug and his wife hatched a plan. They'd call the seller and arrange to buy the motor, but instead of bringing cash, they'd bring police.

"We're stubborn people. We're mad. We want these people to be brought to justice," said Doug.

So, they met up at a south Everett restaurant. Doug's wife walked up to the crook's car while police waited a few blocks away.

"We weren't going to put ourselves at risk. We're smart enough not to do that," said Doug.

Doug's wife had written the serial number of the motor on her hand. When she looked in the trunk, she got a jolt of adrenaline.

"Her heart just started beating real fast 'cause she knew it was our motor, and these were the guys that took it," said Doug.

The serial numbers matched. Doug's wife gave a hand gesture and Doug called police, who swooped in for the arrest.

"Shock and awe. Whey weren't expecting us at all and started looking at the lady like, 'what's going on here?'" said Officer Jason Jones, Everett Police.

"Score one for the good guys. Every once in a while we win," said Doug.

Two men were arrested. Mark Hendrix, 32, has already pleaded guilty to theft. Prosecutors recommended two months in jail, but the judge was so impressed by what Voice had done, he made it three months, ordered Hendrix to pay restitution and pay for his own public defender.

The other suspect has not been charged.

·
Registered
99 Posts
clap: Awesome. I hate thieves more than anything. Before they are free from jail they should get a kick to the junk from both the husband and wife as a fine how do ya do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The sad part of this story is they will be out in 3 months, and start all over again :x I realy think when you get caught
steeling they should cut one hand off, when you get caught steeling again, off goes the other, problem sloved Tup:

Greg

·
Registered
421 Posts
And now these people will forever live in fear that this guy might come and give them a hard time for getting him busted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Agreed. Ive had plenty of stuff stolen including my truck out of the driveway. sick: I still think they would find a way to steal with just nubbs then. After hearing a GFer got his truck broken into then came to his house and stole his trash.... WTF? makes me sick and also shows how persistant these types of maggots are.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
rendezvous said:
The sad part of this story is they will be out in 3 months, and start all over again :x I realy think when you get caught
steeling they should cut one hand off, when you get caught steeling again, off goes the other, problem sloved Tup:

Greg
I agree. Another sad note is that I seriously doubt this was the first time they pulled some crap like that. Chances are they've made a living stealing and selling stuff. One really BIG clue would be that you are meeting the person at someplace like restraunt.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Three months... Big deal!!!!!! The reality of this is that he will only have to serve two of the three months since any county jail time is reduced by a third for good behaviour and any state time is now reduced by half. If the Judge really wanted to make a statement he would have imposed a larger sentance (not just an extra 30 days) instead he made sure that his name was included as one of the good guys in this story. Typical. I will have to give it to the couple for the way they handled this....because I think that most of us would have used something a bit more swift, like a little thing called VIGILANTE JUSTICE. Just my opinion. The White Possum

·
Registered
607 Posts
I had my boat home one week and thieves tried to get into my back yard,which has a six foot fence around it. My dog went crazy and the thief left his tools,out side my fence in the neighbors lawn. I posted a sign and told them they could come and claim them, no takers though. The ole lady was not too happy about the sign.I did yell out that he was very lucky to not get into my yard,forget the dog, he could have it as long as he can get back over the fence(locked gates from the inside) and run down the street while I was shooting at him. The boys have not been back...Oh sorry officer,he came at me with that big wrench, I really didn't mean to shoot him 5 times.....

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Glad they got thier motor back and got the crooks busted. Just hope that they don't have to shhot the guys in the future because they came at them with a big wrench. :evil:
If there are any crooks out there that are reading this. Be warned. You are puting yourselves in grave danger. It may not be worth it. :evil:

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
I love Craigslist, however you really have to watch for crooks there. I seem to find that if they person advertising does not put a phone that is first thing to watch for. Then if they want to MEET you somewhere that is the next red flag. There is lots of crooks on craigslist.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Iceshark said:
I love Craigslist, however you really have to watch for crooks there. I seem to find that if they person advertising does not put a phone that is first thing to watch for. Then if they want to MEET you somewhere that is the next red flag. There is lots of crooks on craigslist.
Good advice, but I don't put my phone number out there either. You do have to watch out from the selling end too. I've almost gotten burned a couple times. Always be wary of cashiers checks and checks.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
It's gratifying to learn that the couple got their outboard motor back. It's also pretty clear that without them doing the work themselves, the police likely would never have recovered the motor or arrested the perps. Just another example that the police really can't protect us or our property. That's doubly clear by the comments speculating that the couple may have to deal with the perp when he gets out of jail. That is unless, unlike most criminals, he decides to change his ways. What's a law-abiding citizen to do?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Too bad we don't live in Texas...where you have the right not only to protect yourself, but your property too. If so, these guys would have gotten a couple doses of the bat or better yet, the Glock .40. Somebody tried to steal my truck at Redondo 5 years ago and probably realized that they weren't going to get very far with the trailer locked to the truck so they abandoned their job. I had to start my truck with the screwdriver they used to pop the ignition out. If I would have walked up on them when they were doing the job, I would have smeared their face across the black top and then claimed they threatened me.

I got to administer a citizen's arrest with a law enforcement buddy of mine when a meth head was running from the police in my neighbor hood. We lied in waiting because we knew this guy was running through people's yards and it was only a matter of time before he came into mine. Sure enough he did, we walked up to him like we didn't know what was going on and invited him to our "BBQ" just to get close to him. he was confused as hell because ONE: he was high, TWO: just got done running 2 miles and THREE: Had to run through a 70 yard stretch of blackberries. my buddy said "******** P.D., GET DOWN!" He swung and hit my buddy. He swung at me, which was a big mistake. HE missed and I got to slam him against the garage and throw him to the ground. His 180 lb frame had nothin! I pinned him to the ground and continued the beating there until he gave up. And then, and this is the best part....he started crying. He started talking about how he had a kid and a girlfriend and then he tried to bribe his way out. At this point he knew he was screwed. My friend called 911 while I restrained this guy so that we could give our pinpoint location to the police. They came over huffing and panting and cuffed the guy. The guy told the police that we beat him. They didn't really care to hear that. We gave our statements and went home. IT WAS GLORIOUS!!! and I would gladly do it again!

·
Registered
12 Posts

I agree with you, however I have sold several items on Craigslist and I have had pretty weird shadey looking people come to my home to just look at what I was selling. If I would have known before I would have had them meet me somewhere else. By all means though I am not sticking up for thoes theiving bastards. I think public execution would be propper punishment for theives, rape, and any law breaker. Yes public execution It might bring crime down, if all the future little theiving bastards could see what will happen to them when they get caught.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts