Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you following SB 6337 GOOD NEWS! it did NOT make it out of the Rules Committee today meaning it is DEAD. Bills that did not make it to the floor by 5:00 pm today, will not go anywhere. I'm not sure who all we thank yet but I'll find out and post their names; sportsman friendly law makers are a good thing.

Thanks to any of you who wrote to your reps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: SB 6337 Stuck in Rules

Word has it that this bill failed to make it out of committee, and is dead for the year. This bill, while apparently a gill netting bill, was actually part of a urinating contest between the purse seiners and gill netters. This bill was used effectively to get the message of sustainable fishery and selective harvest to the legislators.

Those of you who don't think CCA has an agenda or isn't doing anything need to think again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A word of caution to all....these bills are NEVER dead as long as the legislature is in session!!!
They may state that since they didn't make it out of committe that this is the end of it but there are numerous times when at the closing hour they are quickly pushed through when they need to place it in the budget for the coming year before adjournment.
I have seen it happen numerous times during my 50 years of watching the inner actions of our fair legislatures!!
So watch them CLOSELY!!! :geek:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
talkse1 said:
A word of caution to all....these bills are NEVER dead as long as the legislature is in session!!!
They may state that since they didn't make it out of committe that this is the end of it but there are numerous times when at the closing hour they are quickly pushed through when they need to place it in the budget for the coming year before adjournment.
I have seen it happen numerous times during my 50 years of watching the inner actions of our fair legislatures!!
So watch them CLOSELY!!! :geek:
I'm not an expert on the legislative process, although I may occasionaly play one on the internet, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn last night either but my step daughter is the legislative assistant to one of the members of the Rules Committee and she assures me this one is dead.

According to the legislative calendar: March 7 "Last day to consider opposite house bills (5 p.m.) (except initiatives and alternatives to initiatives, budgets and matters necessary to implement budgets, differences between the houses, and matters incident to the interim and closing of the session).*

I suppose that leaves some wiggle room but the companion bill never got out of the House, the Senate Bill didn't get a second reading in the Rules Committee and it doesn't have any budget implications because it is an unfunded mandate for WDFW. WDFW opposes this bill so I don't know how it could ever reach the floor.

That aside, thanks for the note of caution; I'll task my step daughter with the responsibility to keep close watch on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts